The Biggest or Most UNWANTED thing you ever sold (or left in the trash) at Hershey.

1937hd45

One thing that was sad to see in green field a few years back was a wraparound front windshield on a flimsy table arrangement all by itself.  Maybe Mopar.  Winds kicked up and it blew right over, table did nothing to stop it, smashed all to bits.  

This is easy. I went to an estate sale and bought some Cord items. Most notably a set of wheels and a non- supercharged hood. The hood was big and a bit tough. Funny thing, a group of older guys at the auction thought it was a Ford truck hood.

At any rate, the wheels sold very quickly and very well. The hood, not so much. I took it to Carlisle; and then Hershey. It sat there all week, like it was invisible. I dropped the price every day. Like a miracle, some guy carted it off Saturday morning! 

• Haha 1

When on the White field, I brought a nice small lathe and an engine tester on a stand, both quite bulky. 

The lathe sold quickly, the engine tester never did, the last day anyone showing interest was offered it for free.

I’d bought a bunch of stuff, loading up found had no room for tester.  Left it by a trash can, still feel guilty about it!

It doesn’t quite fit the intent of the thread, but when I was in college I bought an old Coke machine at auction for $35 with the intent of restoration for my future family room. The machine was complete with very little rust once it got pulled out of the shed it was in and cleaned up. I didn’t know the very first thing about it and after moving it a couple times I was pretty sick of it and off to Hershey it went.  So I barely found my spot when three or four guys started arguing about who was there first and it basically turned in to an auction. I was dumbfounded when the final offer was $500 because I was planning on asking about 1/4 that and would have been very happy to see the backside of it at that.

So, later it’s on another booth for $1200 and the guy’s sign says it’s a very rare model from 1940 and I was still happy to see it’s backside…

I’m sure I both took someone else’s trash home and left other trash there not that it was as memorable as getting rid of that ##@!! machine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We have not set up at Hershey yet, but I will do a local show every once in a while.  I have had good results, from a conversation starter perspective anyway, when I put my little sign up - "Please buy some of this junk so I can walk around and buy more junk - Thank You."  Laugh but it does seem to get folks to linger a bit longer.  😁

• Haha 4

On a trip to Hershey in 2015 (about 2500 mile round trip) I had some parts to try to find a new home (I did not have a booth) while I was also picking up some prearranged stuff. I had a very nice 1934-36 era LaSalle transmission which I thought would be an easy sell, didn't need it and would have been happy to get $100 for it to a guy who needed it. Spoke to several GM vendors, no interest, and eventually met a guy who owned a LaSalle and was a long time club member. He told me there was very little market, those transmissions were strong and seldom failed and most owners already had a spare. Lugged it back home and gave it to a local "old school hot rod" builder, it now drives a 1930 Ford Coupe mated to the 1947 Cadillac V8 I also gave him, talk about cool!

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I had a pair of AMC 401 cylinder heads that were real nice! I just got tired of lugging around, and a pair of early 30's Chevy rear axles I had marked "free" and within a few minutes some guy who had to be a scraper the way he treated the parts, combined with the fact he and his partner took everything dragging it away. I only wished that the parts would have went to their intended use, but if they went through that much effort for the few bucks they made on it, then I guess it served some purpose in the long run, hopefully a good one. 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)