'64 Riviera Fuel Sender Access Panel

Jerry Shuck

Also, it goes without saying that it would be wise to remove the gas tank before preforming surgery. Sparks and fuel don't mix.

Of course, if I were removing the gas tank already...why would I want to carve a hole in the middle of my trunk?

When I'm too old to take out the fuel tank that'll probably be my last sending unit, anyway...😝

sparks.jpg

Edited by gungeey (see edit history)

2 hours ago, telriv said:

Like I stated in another thread there is an access panel in the left fender well for help in removing the wiper motor.

By coincidence, I worked through that access panel recently to work on the washer ass'y . . . again.

My Riv is acquiring the name: "3X". It seems even after applying OCD, every issue I tackle on it becomes un-fixed. Turn signals, brake lights, speedo cable, radio, alternator. 3rd time the charmer? Charging myself by-the-hour, I'm now broke.

The fuel tank was only a 1X deal after flipping it over and over again to get the sender to do a full sweep.

I think Ed was jokingly referring to a better access panel for the wiper motor!😎

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

Unless, that was something that was on early models, my 1964 does not have a wiper motor access panel in the inner fender.  My car was built 07A, FB #34791 making it one of the last ones of the 37,568 built in 1964.  

Here’s a picture of it.  No access panel.  The chassis manual makes no mention of an access panel and details access to the wiper motor by removing the hood hinge and propping up the hood.

482EE7E2-4CCA-4D7C-8678-0D2C40780CBB.jpeg.d1b6e0d5dfe6aaca40a5c12d4accd236.jpeg

2 hours ago, XframeFX said:

By coincidence, I worked through that access panel recently to work on the washer ass'y . . . again.

My Riv is acquiring the name: "3X". It seems even after applying OCD, every issue I tackle on it becomes un-fixed. Turn signals, brake lights, speedo cable, radio, alternator. 3rd time the charmer? Charging myself by-the-hour, I'm now broke.

The fuel tank was only a 1X deal after flipping it over and over again to get the sender to do a full sweep.

I think Ed was jokingly referring to a better access panel for the wiper motor!😎

If it's just the washer you can do an electric pump in the reservoir: 

20220829_153718.jpg

Tough part of OE wiper/washer is the bellows, not included in valve kits. Sure they are reproduced but, the $18 item would be $100 to my door.

This whole assembly might work for 1965 but not my '63 wiper motor. I should've purchased this item to rob the bellows from it:

image.png.d3708bce9768ce9bcd4eac94cadfbb9c.png

23 hours ago, RivNut said:

Did just that. Drilled a hole in the bottom of the reservoir and installed a pump from a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  The pump gives a constant spray rather than the intermittent squirting like the original.

Yes, constant spray as long as you hold down the momentary button and not the puck-a-puck-a-puck-a squirt for 12 or so seconds after pressing.

If I was to go the reservoir pump method, I'd want the blanking plate for the wiper motor. They do exist but rare.

Instead, I purchased a Trico 11-516 specifically for 60s GMs. Although will not fit 1963 wiper motors (too early). Had to modify.

This mounts on the wiper motor but does not use the cam actuator. It has a generic pump with a relay and circuit to squirt for 12 or so seconds after momentarily pressing the center button. So, similar functionality as original but a constant stream. Would work on 1965 and later wiper motors with less modification:

https://www.amazon.ca/Trico-11-516-Windshield-Washer-Pump-Pack/dp/B000CB6A2O

Washer_Trico_Assy_1.JPG

Washer_Trico_Assy_2.JPG

• Like 1