1928 Ford Model A Sedan. People over 5' 10" need not apply.

https://www.k-bid.com/auction/44994/item/2?offset=2

Follow the link for more photos 

I am in no way affiliated with this vehicle.

Location / Contact:
28687 State Hwy 55, Lowry, MN 56349
Phone: 320-283-3250

Lot Description:

Year: 1928
Make: Ford 
Model: Model A 
Mileage: 63,521 on Original 5 Digit Odometer 
Vin: A1328344
Engine: 200ci inline 4 
Transmission: 3 Speed Manual 
Doors: 4
Drivetrain: RWD
Title State: MN
Plate Number: 18186 Pioneer 
Registration Exp: NO
Title Status: CLEAN 
#MN F159A0531

This vehicle has been test driven, runs and drives well. Freshly detailed, new battery, fresh gas. Runs well! 

17807326.jpg

17807329.jpg

17807332.jpg

17807336.jpg

17807348.jpg

17807357.jpg

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• Fossil changed the title to 1928 Ford Model A Sedan. People over 5' 10" need not apply.

I was once 6ft and probably still 5 11" and although I can't stretch out in an "A" I still enjoy driving cars that are pre-1930. You just gotta scrunch up some.  

• Like 3

When I was looking for an old car I actually looked at a Model A and this very model. I think they called it a leather back. 

I'm 6'2" and 235lbs and there was no way I could drive that car. I had to cross my legs under the steering wheel to set in it. Back when I got married I had a 30 Model A 2 door sedan and drove that a lot. I was 6'3" and 185lbs then. Didn't have a lot of extra room but could drive it comfortably. The 2 doors must have more leg room in the front seat. 

• Like 1

Fifty years ago, one of my best friends had a 1929 Murray body town sedan. Should be pretty close to the same fit? I was six foot even then (still am!), and about thirty pounds lighter then. I drove his model A a lot in those days. It was a bit short for my legs, but I had no troubles from it.

For whatever it is worth.

• Like 1

I am 6'4" and 200 lbs.... I have driven a 1929 model A, 4 door sedan , thousands of miles ...spending many days, all day sitting at the wheel.............. no problem, very comfortable

BECAUSE, I unbolted the seat mounting brackets.. and moved the seat back 5 inches..... in a sedan, you can place the seat where ever you need it... with a little ingenuity..... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, sunnybaba said:

in a sedan, you can place the seat where ever you need it... with a little ingenuity..... 

It does depend a bit on the make/model of sedan? A lot of 1920s sedans, the front seat base and body pillars are such an integral part of the body's structure, that moving the seat at all would require a near complete redesign of the body framework! I do not know about all of them, however, many model A fordor sedans did have front seats that are not attached to the center "B" pillar. I would imagine those model As could have the seat moved back a couple inches without much trouble.

In the model T world, the four-door sedans have a fixed seat which also supplies rigidity and strength to the B pillar. The common advice to larger/taller people wanting four passenger enclosed cars is to get a two-door sedan because the front seats are fairly simple to move a couple inches back.

It was a long time ago that I drove Steve's town sedan. I do not recall whether it had a fixed front seat or not? However, the photos above of the discussion leather-back sedan show what appear to be a seat that is not attached to the B pillar. Most likely, it could be moved back a couple inches without much trouble.

At my six foot even, I have rarely found cars I could not be comfortable sitting in or driving for many miles. Although, I have often been kidded about how comical I sometimes look unfolding myself climbing out of some cars!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

I was once 6ft and probably still 5 11" and although I can't stretch out in an "A" I still enjoy driving cars that are pre-1930. You just gotta scrunch up some.  

It is funny going from a 31 Franklin and driving around friends and then stuffing them into the 31 Plymouth     I would one day enjoy having a ride in a 1919 Locomobile or similiar.

• Like 1

If you cannot find a Whippit, I know the 30, 31 tudors (I do not know for sure but do not believe the 28, 29 has this) have the ability to adjust the seat by about 2", usually enough to do the trick.  I have seen some pretty big fellas driving As over the years.. 😉😁

• Like 1

Around ’99-‘02 I owned/drove a Model A 400-a. It was the prettiest A around but, me being 6’2” and 220, it was terribly uncomfortable to drive. The dropped steering column on the late A’s was the killer. Now, having lost 60# over the years, I can slip in and drive most A’s easily. The ‘29 Cabriolet I owned for years had the most comfortable configuration for the driver.

• Like 2