1951 Frazer Manhattan - not mine..

Why is it so low?  Maybe your cars are too high?  

Price sells cars.  $26,500 still seems high.  If he restored the car, we assume this was done as a hobby.  You can’t add up all costs and double it to come up with a market price. 

On the other hand, $26,500 may be right but the buyers pool is small.  It won’t be KFOCI members. Those guys and gals are the cheapest set of club members I’ve ever known.  

• Like 1

Since links can become dead, here is the text 

from the ad.  I saw no telephone number;  one has to

contact the seller through the Hagerty website.

The car is said to be in Charlton City, Massachusetts

and have 40,375 miles.

"1951 Frazer Manhattan 4 door hard top. Only 152 produced for 1951. This is a late production vehicle. Original engine, original hydramatic transmission and original differential. No rust, all rust has been repaired with new steel and lead filler where necessary. Fuel tank cleaned and sealed, fuel system new, lines new. Brakes and wheel cylinders new. Power brakes and power steering added. Engine has had new rings and valves reground. Pertronix ignition and E3 spark plugs. Drives and runs excellent. New suspension pieces and shock absorbers. Bias ply 7.10 x 15 wide whitewalls and full trim rings and hub caps. All stock and factory correct. Consistent show and trophy winner. Metallic Ascot charcoal gray with Onyx black top. Red leather interior factory correct stitching and pattern. Wool cut pile carpeting on floors and inside trunk. Some original glass and chrome, with some new glass and rechromed pieces. Factory power windows, factory AM radio, factory heater and defroster.

Paint and exterior

Ascot metallic charcoal gray with Onyx black roof. Factory correct color combination. Painted in 1987, still looks great. Painted with PPG acrylic lacquer and clear coated. Replated bumpers and guards. Some original chrome still in good shape.

Upholstery and interior

New cardinal red leather seats with correct tuck and roll factory pattern and thread color. New door panels, new headliner and windlace. New carpet in cut pile wool. Sun visors are original and near perfect. Original chrome in the interior.

Engine

Original Engine: Yes

6 cylinder Continental Red Seal 226 cid/115 hp 2 bbl carburetor. Has had new rings and valve regrind. new water pump. Pertronix ignition inside original distributor housing. E3 spark plugs. Original and correct engine color. Runs great no smoke.

Mileage

I bought this vehicle in 1984 with 35789 miles on it. The vehicle had body work and paint done in 1987 and was put away in my garage until 2016. It was finished in 2018 and has been driven to car show since then.

Wheels and tires

Has factory correct 7.10 x 15 bias ply tubeless wide whitewalls on factory wheels with correct trim rings and hub caps.

Brakes

Has new wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware, and brake lines. Has added dual chamber master cylinder, 1 inch bore with an 8 inch diameter vacuum power booster in the factory location with the factory pedal.

Transmission

Has the original factory 4 speed hydramatic transmission, new fluid and all recent factory adjustments have been made. Transmission shifts perfectly."

• Like 1

19 hours ago, suchan said:

Nice.

If you want one, this is one to have.

I agree. What a color combination, and the attention to detail looks great.  The added power steering looks very well done. Although K/F cars , with a few notable exceptions, are not valuable I would not be surprised to see this car sell close to asking price. It looks great, well done,  nice colors and most mature collectors like to have an orphan or two in their car collections. Something that will be "new and unseen before " to the casual observer, neighbor, co-worker. 

• Like 2

KF produced 152 Manhattans as hardtops for the 1951 model year to use up leftover 1950 Kaiser Virginian bodies. New front sheet metal and rear quarters were tacked on to the bodies and other Frazer specific bits were subbed in as well. Almost all were hydramatic equipped with a reported half dozen getting stick/OD transmissions. Assembly was essentially by hand for all but a few at a KF facility in Jackson, Michigan. Most of that building still stands and is in use today.

At one time a nice example such as this would command $40k but prices have softened recently. While under powered, they are a comfortable car to drive and by their low numbers, guarantee to be the one and only at any show.

I once owned a clone to this car that had all of 30,000 original miles. Mine was previously owned by a mailman who must have hit every curb and obstruction in town as every panel had a dent in it. When I found the frame was also bent, it went into barn storage where it resides today.

And, yes, KF club members are a frugal bunch. It was once said they could squeeze a penny so hard it would make Lincoln cry...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This seems like a lot of automobile for the price.  I am familiar with the styling of the Kaiser cars, but I had never seen this Frazer model before and I find it quite attractive, particularly the rear end which has a Pininfarina look to me.  It looks like it's well set up for comfortable cruising with power steering and power brakes and a very lush interior.  And as has been said by others, you certainly will be driving something unique!  I would be tempted by this if I were in the market and had this much to spend.