'30 46S question

Leif in Calif

I'm thinking about a '30 46S that's been for sale for a while. At this particular point in my life, any car I buy has to be capable of two things: 1) it needs to be able to go on the freeway, using the slow lane in light traffic. There are too many places to go where the route requires it.  2.) My wife (who's old car savvy but a small woman) needs to be able to drive it. What do you think? 

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2022 at 1:53 AM, Leif in Calif said:

I'm thinking about a '30 46S that's been for sale for a while.  2.) My wife (who's old car savvy but a small woman) needs to be able to drive it. What do you think? 

I would definitely keep her. Any wife that is willing to drive your old car is a keeper in my book!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Haha 4

65mph is way too fast for any '30 Buick unless it is significantly modified.  Remember also that you only have mechanical brakes.  Regarding size, the 40-series cars are the smallest; when I had a '29 sedan of comparable series, the seat was adjusted as far back as it could go and I still barely fit.  I am 6'2" but the cars were designed for people just over 5' tall.

Edited by jps
Spelling error (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I drove a 1930-Mdl.47 sedan for 20 years. No way will it keep up at 65 or even 55 without blowing the main bearings. It is geared too low. 45 MPH was about as fast as I would push that six cylinder engine. At one time there was a set of rear end gears that would decrease engine speed at cruising speed but I don't remember who was selling them. (ring & pinion set). It was a great car and Buick actually advertised the '30 for the ease of driving for women.

• Like 1