Water pump corrosion?

Buick35

I had a rebuilt water pump that I installed on my 35 Buick less than a year ago. Last week I noticed a whitish powdery substance around the outside of the rear round plate gasket area that to me looks like corrosion.Kinda like what appears on battery terminals.I sent my old pump out to get rebuilt,it should be back soon.I was running straight water with a rust preventative but I think I'll go to anti freeze. Any thoughts on this or what it could cause it? Thanks,I could try to send pictures later.

If the pump is aluminum or pot metal, it is most probably catodic corrosion.  You may need to introduce a zinc sacrifical anode to manage the problem. 

Cathodic corrosion is an electrochemical process where two metals are placed in an electrolyte and one of the metals corrodes. Corrosion continues as long as the electric contact is maintained, since the electrons continue to flow to the cathode.

The Basics of Cathodic Protection (corrosionpedia.com)

10 hours ago, Buick35 said:

I just checked the pump that I pulled off and the round back plate cover is aluminum,at least  magnet won t stick to it.Now I know. I wonder if I should send it back.

Stainless maybe?

On 7/30/2022 at 11:05 AM, Mark Shaw said:

Cut down an RV water heater anode to fit in the radiator top tank and use commercial antifreeze.

Mark       Snyder's sells an anode they call a head saver # A-6010-ahs     

Bob

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2022 at 11:27 AM, DonMicheletti said:

Interesting. I have had '10, '18. '31, '32 and '38  Buicks. All had all ferrous water pumps. No aluminum.

You learn something every day.

Brass is another good substitute if you paint the pump.

Here's a picture of my corroded one.I can buy a ferrous backing plate for it I think.Greg

IMG_20220801_175341_hdr.jpg

On 7/30/2022 at 1:05 PM, Buick35 said:

I just checked the pump that I pulled off and the round back plate cover is aluminum,at least  magnet won t stick to it.Now I know. I wonder if I should send it back.

I called Bob's and they told me that's the way it comes from the manufacturer and they couldn't do anything about,besides they only have a two year guarantee on them.I did order another plate.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:35 AM, Buick35 said:

I called Bob's and they told me that's the way it comes from the manufacturer and they couldn't do anything about,besides they only have a two year guarantee on them.I did order another plate.

I got another plate from Bob's today and it's steel.

• Like 1