Gas gage

Gary56

Can any b ody tell me how I can resolve the problem with my gas gage.  I can not find a sending unit that I can afford.  I can get one after market but it's over 300.00.  Can someone point me to a cheaper one.  I need a king keely sending unit.

It might help also if you spell the name of the part correctly. Believe you are looking for a King Seeley sending unit.

Terry

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

I believe King Seeley units use capilliary action and a special fluid. So not just a basic electric resistance sender. Anyone that can tell us for sure please speak up.

Both! It just depends when.

The column of colored fluid running from the tank to a sight on the dash was one of their creations. The thermal bimetal gauges used in Fords and Mopars from the 50s(?) through the 80s (or maybe beyond) are another. Those can be recognized by the presence of a little thermal relay that turns the power on and off constantly to limit current. In-between those 2 systems was yet another thermal bimetal system that had the little off-on-off-on relay integrated into the fuel sender somehow.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Depending upon your car's make, model, and year,

and the relative location of the gas tank,

and if absolute originality is less of a concern than knowing actual volume,

A broken yardstick, a ruler, or a twig with notches at full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, and empty could work, as it did on our '27 Chevy for 26 years of touring.