67 Buick Riviera Rear quarter windows not operating

Ross

Hi All

This my first post in this forum, and the rear quarter panel windows are not operating on my 67 Riviera, they have power to the switch but only when I earth them to another part of the body.

Does this mean I have an earthing problem to the electric motors ??

Cheers Ross

You need a 1967 Buick factory Chassis Service Manual and 1967 Fisher Body Manual. These will have wiring charts which will help you figure out the problem.

Also, keep scrolling down the Forums until you find the Buick Forums, who also have a Riviera subforum with plenty of skilled and knowledgeable people hanging about.

• Like 1

The passenger door and rear quarter windows are fed power from the master switch on the driver's door.  The connector at the remote switch has 3 pins: UP, DOWN and POWER.  The motor case is (or should be) grounded to the body to complete the circuit.

• Like 3

Aside from an electrical problem, its not uncommon for the rears to quit working altogether and mainly this is from lack of use. I think nearly every 66/67 I've owned exhibited that issue one time or another. Sometimes if you give the motor a whack it will start working. Then as long as you operate it once in awhile it will keep working. Never hurts to clean out and lube up the tracks while you are in there.

Just a little general snippet: The wiring connectors/terminals at window motors can be fragile especially on cars that have not been garage kept and pampered. I've seen the male terminals break off the motor when wiring is unplugged, then motor must be replaced. If plug connector is tight, soak them down with WD40 for awhile before attempting to remove. 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Love my crank windows........they roll up and down no problem decade after decade, century after century!

I'm with ya Winston. My first 67 had crank windows and honestly I like them in an older vehicle. Less weight and no issues with a mutitude of potential problem areas of a power system. I have yet to figure out why we like cars loaded with power options as they can be a never ending source of frustration! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

I have yet to figure out why we like cars loaded with power options as they can be a never ending source of frustration! 

Because 'that other kid' had them in his family's car while you were forced to turn that crank from the back seat of your mom's '68 LeSabre 4-door...  There was a time when literally EVERY new car built didn't come with power windows, A/C and cruise control...  :unsure:

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Attached are Buick & Fisher factory chassis wiring circuit diagrams which I completely upgraded a few years ago because I got tired of looking at poor quality images. I've been meaning to share these (before something happens to me), so please share as you see fit. I have others too.

864073952_1967GM-FisherBodyPowerWindowWiring-Circuit-DiagramFigure16-32-KRs-Color-Master.png.f92af37eb4c545449fa6ccfee90fd9c2.pngFigure_120-129_1967-Riviera-Wiring-Circuit-Diagram-KRs-Color-Master-Revision-2020-03-28.png.db579301bdbfa94a3558cea17ba3a0f0.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KRmanr said:

Attached are Buick & Fisher factory chassis wiring circuit diagrams which I completely upgraded a few years ago because I got tired of looking at poor quality images. I've been meaning to share these (before something happens to me), so please share as you see fit. I have others too.

864073952_1967GM-FisherBodyPowerWindowWiring-Circuit-DiagramFigure16-32-KRs-Color-Master.png.f92af37eb4c545449fa6ccfee90fd9c2.pngFigure_120-129_1967-Riviera-Wiring-Circuit-Diagram-KRs-Color-Master-Revision-2020-03-28.png.db579301bdbfa94a3558cea17ba3a0f0.png

It appears that "Figure-120-129 1967 Riviera Wiring Circuit Diagram" did not upload in full resolution. I'll try another way or possibly start a new post with everything I've upgraded. Ref this zoomed screenshot for example.

When I created my new replacement '67 forward wiring harnesses I noted the factory ENGINE side harness 10 gauge wiring from the starter and alternator to the Shunt DID NOT agree with the Buick Chassis Service Manual (Figure 120-129) so I fixed that. 

Screenshot_20220824-080637-677.png

Edited by KRmanr (see edit history)