Brake light switch removal

Shootey

I am trying to remove the brake light switch on my 1941 Buick. I can’t break it loose. Any thoughts?   A 1 inch socket is too big and a 15/16 is too small. I’ve tried Vice grips, crescent wrench and can’t budge it. Thanks. 

24 minutes ago, Shootey said:

I am trying to remove the brake light switch on my 1941 Buick. I can’t break it loose. Any thoughts?   A 1 inch socket is too big and a 15/16 is too small. I’ve tried Vice grips, crescent wrench and can’t budge it. Thanks. 

Got a photo of the situation? Does it mount on the end of the master cylinder? Have you tried tightening it a little bit first? THEN loosen it.

Shootey, go a little further down to the "Buick-Pre War" section, lot of Buick specific knowledgeable people there.

BUT Keiser31 is the man, and will help you out, provided you post your photo.

Bob

EDIT: it is a strange end on the switch to put a socket on, maybe try a 12 point socket SAE or Metric?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHSL134?impressionRank=1

Edited by NailheadBob
update (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If it is a replacement switch from modern times at all, like sometime in the last 60 years or so, and does not have 6 simple hexagonal nut flats, it takes a special socket. The socket fits all of them, at least on American cars. You can just about always get them out with normal tools, but if you can't for some reason maybe you need the socket. I got by for years without the special socket before I bought one. I would keep trying.

EDIT: @NailheadBob's link shows the kind of switch I am talking about.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Assuming it to be similar or identical to what I have seen on 1937 and 1938 Buicks, I would expect it to come out easily. If yours is that difficult to remove, I would suggest applying some solvent and letting it sit overnight before removal. The best solvent that I have found is a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. 

• Like 1

Same as a typical oil pressure switch socket?

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help. I’ll send photo but it is, I think, a stardard switch used in the 1930’s and 1940’s and is quite low below the edge of the left front fender. 

Ah Ha! it is the same as the oil pressure sender style.😉

Thank you all for your contributions. The switch is buried low and makes swinging a wrench, Vice grip, etc. difficult. I will obtain the socket with the hope I can get better leverage with extensions. 

Attached are two pictures. I solved the problem and got the switch out. The solution was a half inch drive 1” six point socket. It fit perfectly. I attached a 4 inch extension, a 10 “ extension and a long breaker bar. Thank all of you for getting me through it. The right tool matters and physics matters. 

FA921DFB-2403-4171-85CB-CDC176224E5D.jpeg

AF8219A5-A9B0-4B84-88DD-3A8B0F268919.jpeg

• Like 5

Shootey, right, your switch was a simple hex. 

55er's picture showed a style like oil pressure switches.

9 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Shootey, right, your switch was a simple hex. 

55er's picture showed a style like oil pressure switches.

No, his is a normal pressure switch, you are seeing the brass block it threads into.  Look closer.  The socket I showed has two sizes, 1" and 1 1/16".  The pressure switch is 1".

Dalef2 you are correct. My switch is exactly like the one in the 55er photo. A 1 inch open end wrench would have fit but I would not have been able to get any leverage in such a tight spot. My socket plus two extensions plus a breaker bar was a little floppy but I was able to stabilize the rig with one hand and swing the breaker bar with the other.  The half inch drive size was good for applying some heft. 

• Like 1

OK, I see it now, had to blow up picture to see what you saw.;)

• Like 2