Art of the Auto Ad- 1928 Chandler

TerryB

Not the most common make of automobile but the ad features great artwork.  The ad was published in the February 1928 edition of the Saturday Evening Post. I had an unused frame that seemed to compliment its color so here it is.

B294674F-0812-4865-A684-0A44EC2F0C5B.jpeg

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I appreciate old car ads very much, and used a 

different ad for each newsletter I prepared over

10 years for our AACA region.

I like to keep the ads in the magazine, since

magazines themselves are historic and, I feel,

shouldn't be destroyed.  I reprinted some

very insightful car articles from general-purpose

magazines, finding long-forgotten information

that people today never knew.

• Like 4

Contributing to the beauty of these advertisements is the fact that the cars are illustrated with art rendering in watercolor and gouache by truly skilled and talented artists.  It lends a visual quality unavailable with photographs.

• Like 1

John, the ads I have were removed from magazines 40 years ago or more.  Back when I was a little parts and literature vendor at small car shows, people would bring bunches of stuff by asking if you were interested in purchasing it.  Some of the stuff was good and the others, well junk was a nice way to put it.

I bought several packs of auto ads over the years and then purchased plastic bags and backing boards to sell the ads individually.  The Chandler ad was part of a group I found recently that never made it to the plastic bag and backing board stage.  The level of art effort that went into these early ads is amazing.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting that information.  I truly enjoy these ads as you can see the auto being presented to its target audience as seen through the imagination of the artist.  Note how women driving the car is demonstrated in this ad as the target audience at a time when few women actually drove cars.

On 6/20/2022 at 8:35 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

Certainly makes the Chandler sound attractive. Am impressed with the vacuum brakes in 1928, I take it this is the first use of vacuum power brakes that we still use? Except that they were probably mechanical not hydraulic.

I too have this same ad on display in my garage along with our 1929 Chandler that does indeed have these power assist brakes installed. They are mechanical and are supposed to triple the stopping powered.

• Like 1

To be able to talk to the artists who did this commercial work for advertising or sales material is an education in itself. In the very early 1970s I was already active in the old car hobby and had two opportunities to get to know two artists of that era very well. One was a Professor of art at the college I attended, Larry Hofmann. He lived in Sea Cliff , NY and held classes at his house because he had so much material we could view first hand that it couldn't be hauled safely to the college near by. I would stay after class with maybe one other person and we would have coffee and listen to him recall the pre WWII era when he would go into NY City to work on the advertising like you see here. He was a master at that style of presentation, all hand painted on illustration board . Just fascinating to listen to and ask questions of. He was so pleased to have someone there who was genuinely interested. The other fellow I met lived in Ct. and I met him at a Franklin Club trek. Robert Feeley. He was the artist who did the illustrations for a Franklin company sales catalog for the series 9 and 10 cars. He lived in Syracuse ,NY at the time and worked for Franklin as an illustrator of sales as well as magazine advertising. His son Bob I knew well also and had a great friendship with and he remembered living and growing up in Syracuse and his Dad going to work at Franklin to do the art work.  My own art back ground made conversations a lot easier as they didn't have to totally explain what they did, I understood and if I asked questions it was about how to get a particular affect. All of this 50+ years ago  - I should really write it all down , I did make some notes.  I have to many stories, heard first person from the people that were there then , was just very very fortunate ( not realizing it at the time) to be able to talk to these people , AND really listen to what they were saying - the historian in me even then.

Walt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1