For Sale: 1953 Sears Allstate - "Original throughout, runs and drives" - Hampstead, MD - Not Mine - 7/16 Deleted

For sale on Craigslist: 1953 Sears Allstate 2-door Sedan in Hampstead, MD  -  $9,500  -  Call or text Ken: 410 596 16 five three

Link: https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/hampstead/7497511572/1953-Sears-Allstate-Sedan

Seller's Description:

1953 Sears Allstate 2-door Sedan

• VIN: A3401000348
  • condition: good
  • cylinders: 6 cylinders
  • transmission: manual
  • odometer: 59,000
  • paint color: grey
  • title status: clean

1953 Sear's Allstate 6 cylinder. Original throughout, runs - drives. Taken out of long time storage. Hampstead, MD

image.png.13ba5997c657d7e058f2e80b6447b72a.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Wow!  An Allstate car, offered from the Sears catalogue,

is very rare.  They were made by the Kaiser-Frazer

company and were based on the Henry J model.

I don't use the terms "wow" and "rare" indiscriminately.

Someone should look into this further.

What a find, Fin Seeker!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Scarce indeed!   The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states there were only 602 total for 1953: 136 base sedans ($1,594); 466 Deluxe sedans ($1,693).  There were only 900 manufactured for 1952. 

From the text:

"Sears brand 'Allstate' batteries tires, etc. were featured, of course.  The interiors were usually finished with a unique upholstery material.  The fabric was a tightly twisted strands of paper, coated with vinyl and woven in colorful plaids.  It was extremely durable and eliminated the need for seat covers."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

How do Henry J's--and presumably this Allstate--

run and drive?  Being small cars, are they primitive,

noisy, with a harsh ride?

Even in the 1970's, small American cars weren't 

all that well suited for highway travel.  They were

better as little local runabouts.

I drove a '54 Henry J 4 cyl, stick and OD to work for a year in SoCal in the '80s.  Bought a house and sold it as part of raising downpayment funds.   It was a tinny body and getting underneath it would be obvious why they were prone to rust.  Mine was extremely rust free.   At 60 mph that car delivered 40 mpg which is something to think about today!  And people loved its looks / cuteness to the max.  I'm 6'2" and there is immense leg and head room for the driver like very few other cars.

If you are looking for a recommendation regarding this Allstate, mine would be DON'T HESITATE.

1954HenryJ.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

By the way, the KF boys will agree that the F-head six cylinder in this Allstate was not the better choice in this chassis.  Less mileage, bit heavy for the car.

"Allstate" cars came with Sears Allstate tires, spark plugs, batteries and the script badges and medallions and..... well, that's about it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StillOutThere said:

By the way, the KF boys will agree that the F-head six cylinder in this Allstate was not the better choice in this chassis.  Less mileage, bit heavy for the car.

"Allstate" cars came with Sears Allstate tires, spark plugs, batteries and the script badges and medallions and..... well, that's about it!

Any auto replacement/maintenance parts offered through the Sears & Roebuck catalog or stores were typically factory installed on Allstate versions of the Henry-J.

In addition to the above noted "Sears Allstate tires, spark plugs, batteries", the cars typically also included other items manufactured for Sears, generally may have included:

Allstate brand windshield wiper blades, fan belt, radiator hoses, bulbs, and optionally Sears' Silvertone radio and antenna, their aftermarket heater-defroster, and heater hoses.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, George Albright said:

I’m a buyer at $5,000. George Albright Ocala Florida cell weekdays 352 843 1624. Email gnalbright@gmail.com 

George, maybe you need to respond to the craigslist ad,

instead of here since it isn't for sale on our FORUM?

For sale on Craigslist: 1953 Sears Allstate 2-door Sedan in Hampstead, MD  -  $9,500  -  Call or text Ken: 410 596 16 five three

Link: https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/hampstead/7497511572/1953-Sears-Allstate-Sedan

• Thanks 2

Wow...a rare car even for those of us who dabble in the K-F market. This one is a model 3404 six cylinder car and for 1953, 372 were produced. At one time I had one in the same color but with the factory correct interior - from what I can see the interior in this car is not correct. On the upside, this one does appear to have the correct full wheel covers, unobtainium today.

The 161 cubic inch six that powers the Deluxe models is peppy enough to move the 2400 lb car along nicely and with overdrive, will deliver 25 plus miles per gallon. I currently own a 54 Henry J Corsair Deluxe with a six and OD and it's a very easy car to drive. And, it's the only one at the local cruise in a sea of Camaros, Corvettes and Mustangs.

The asking price may be a tad high owing to the incorrect interior, maybe something closer to $7k.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Henry J Kaiser was a real visionary! If you have health care through your employer, thank (or blame) him. He introduced as a recruitment incentive in his ship yards during WWII when the government did not him to raise wages.  

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1953 Sears Allstate - "Original throughout, runs and drives" - Hampstead, MD - Not Mine - 7/16 Deleted
  • 1 year later...
On 6/23/2022 at 8:07 PM, Marty Roth said:

George, maybe you need to respond to the craigslist ad,

instead of here since it isn't for sale on our FORUM?

On 6/23/2022 at 8:25 PM, George Albright said:

Agreed will do. Thanks!

Since Allstates are so uncommon, I'm wondering:

George, did you ever follow up with the seller as you planned?

If so, what did you find?  Is there an Allstate in your collection now?