Screw in Pins for Primer Cups

On 6/5/2022 at 7:20 PM, Ron Lawson said:

Hi I have been asked by another DB man to make some screw in pins to fit the primer cups of his 23 DB I need to know the thread size and the TPI thanks 

Would they be similar to the ones on the 18/19 Ron and I can pull one out for you and check. 

BE18997A-2E27-4474-ACAB-3687F24E9A04.jpeg

Most likely #12 NEF (national extra fine) which is 32 tpi and 0.216" in diameter.  Finding an appropriate die in Australia could be a problem. Do you mean 5/32?  That would equate to  #8 NC - which I can help with if necessary.

Edited by TonyAus (see edit history)

Definitely 7/32 or 5.55mm.

One owner I know showed me a better way to start these cars. He removed the float bowl top, turned the tap on his fuel pump, and raised the fuel level above normal, turned off the tap and refitted the top of the float bowl. Turned on the tap and started his car not trouble. Less messy and quicker.

Another tip he gave me.  Start it in gear with clutch depressed.  That way you can get it going without graunching the gears. 

Dereck,

Having the idle on very low and dipping the clutch and waiting a few seconds before selecting first allows the gears to stop spinning so “no crunch”

Most cars run the idle far too high and then the selection will never be silent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cutdown said:

Definitely 7/32 or 5.55mm.

One owner I know showed me a better way to start these cars. He removed the float bowl top, turned the tap on his fuel pump, and raised the fuel level above normal, turned off the tap and refitted the top of the float bowl. Turned on the tap and started his car not trouble. Less messy and quicker.

Another tip he gave me.  Start it in gear with clutch depressed.  That way you can get it going without graunching the gears. 

I should explain that the US National thread system does not use fractions of an inch below 1/4".  Rather, there is a number system from 1 to 12 (course), 0 to 12 (fine) and 12 only (extra fine).  As 5.5mm is exactly .216" this would equate to number 12.  As I indicated, at 32tpi this would be in the extra fine series.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Minibago said:

Dereck,

Having the idle on very low and dipping the clutch and waiting a few seconds before selecting first allows the gears to stop spinning so “no crunch”

Most cars run the idle far too high and then the selection will never be silent.

Once I have this car back on the road I will probably understand all the driving hints you are giving me. I have only once driven one of these and it was a bit scary at first. Heavy steering and a tendency not to self steer [ or that's how it felt ]. Brakes that need a lead time before you need to stop. Its all stuff I will sort out once i get it on the road. Still l probably  will be waiting another month before I get my engine back, then have to refit everything and check it out. Re registering it is going to take time because I basically cant do anything till it's finished and the VCC man has seen it.

"One owner I know showed me a better way to start these cars. He removed the float bowl top, turned the tap on his fuel pump, and raised the fuel level above normal, turned off the tap and refitted the top of the float bowl. Turned on the tap and started his car not trouble. Less messy and quicker."

Don't need to take the cover off, just remove the acorn nut over the float valve and hold down. That will flood the carb pretty fast. Wouldn't even need to turn the valve off. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 10:24 PM, Ron Lawson said:

Thank you nat that is exactly what I need to know 

Hi nat Can you run a thread gauge over the threads on your pin The guy that I am making these for has come up with an old one and the thread seems to be 30 tpi on my gauge not 32 Thank you 

35 minutes ago, gossp said:

Although I love the ambition to just make a part you are missing, aren’t these already reproduced? 

They are but taking the exchange rate of the Aussie $ against the Greenback then add the highly over inflated postage charges out of the States our 4 little pins are a $AU 100 items  

The sample shown in the post above, it's hard to see the sealing end. The end on the one I now have sitting on my desk looks rounded, not just a taper. Oh, the slot for the gas to enter, is on both sides. 

3 hours ago, Mark Gregush said:

Looked again, it is 3 slots. 

Yes I know that The sample that I have has been grossly over tightened and put a twist in the threads That's the reason that I had trouble in working out the # of TPI The 3 slots allow the gas to run down from the cup into the combustion chamber without having to unscrew the pin all the way out 

I have been sorting out taps and dies at our "Men's Shed" for ages. [ heaps of double and 12x ups to sort out. ] Today I came across a no 12-32.  I looked at the wall chart and saw it started at 1 right up to 12 then 1/8 upwards. Cant remember but I think there may have been a couple of number not listed on the chart.

Ron. You were bloody lucky to get that undone.   

How many do you need. there may be more available in Aussie or NZ. 

2 hours ago, cutdown said:

I have been sorting out taps and dies at our "Men's Shed" for ages. [ heaps of double and 12x ups to sort out. ] Today I came across a no 12-32.  I looked at the wall chart and saw it started at 1 right up to 12 then 1/8 upwards. Cant remember but I think there may have been a couple of number not listed on the chart.

Ron. You were bloody lucky to get that undone.   

How many do you need. there may be more available in Aussie or NZ. 

Thanks Cutdown I am all sorted mate Got them made ok