Transmission parts from Fatsco 1963 Buick Riviera

rodneybeauchamp

Hi all,

am overhauling the Dynaflo in my ‘63 Riviera in order to correct a major transmission leak. Will use their major overhaul kit D102B-1 and their bushing kit KD106A.

The mechanic who went with me on a road test commented that the transmission shifts and drives OK but won’t know until it is stripped down. Riviera has just turned over 100K first time around.

Has any forum member used these kits and had experience dealing with Fatsco?

Many thanks Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

3 minutes ago, lrlforfun said:

Rod:  You're guy's correct. Once it's torn down and thoroughly inspected you won't know anything. Best to have a few dynaflows with in arm's reach just in case you need some parts that might not be available in a kit.  Mitch

That's hard in Australia.  And more so if not close to a major city

When a local ( North Jersey) trans shop rebuilt the trans in my 67, they said I needed a flywheel. They got one from Fatsco in about 90 minutes. They were less than 10 miles away, and the trans guy said Fatsco had everything they need.

Correction; I needed a flex plate. 

Edited by rocky5517 (see edit history)

The most important part of any Dynaflow is the torque converter as that is the only thing when in Drive that propels the car by fluid.  Pay close attention to tolerances.

To make it more efficient Torrington needle bearings can be used in place of some thrust washers.  Same with the high accumulator by changing a spring.

Tom T.

I had my 1960 Dynaflow rebuilt by by a local transmission shop last Spring.  L&L Transmissions, Batavia, New York. I had no noticeable mechanical problems, just leaking and morning sickness. The shop's policy was to order after disassembly and examination. I asked if I could order ahead to expedite the job. They were OK with that. I bought the FATSCO master kit and the bushing kit I think the band was exchange so I took a chance on my old one. I already had the torque tube seal and provided that as well.

FATSCO was very good to order from. I told them the plan and the FATSCO person asked "Who's doing it, Larry?". The first name basis boosted my confidence although L&L has done other modern jobs for me already.

I don't know if they used all the bushings or not but they had them in hand. It has been a year now and I am very pleased with the results.

There is a complete  1962 open tailshaft Dynaflow in my basement that I have been meaning to disassemble and list the parts on Ebay. Since I recently picked up a 30 gallon parts washer I guess maybe I will start preping some of my dirty parts if you need something.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Rod: good luck! Looking forward to a good end to this story.

Thanks Jan. 
what gives me confidence is that they know what a Dynaflo is and they have worked on a handful, the last one an Electra. Their shop had an S series Valiant, a ‘60s Rambler and a HZ Holden being worked on as well as later model stuff. I’m looking forward also to a good outcome 😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 8:05 AM, 60FlatTop said:

The shop's policy was to order after disassembly and examination.

This means pushing a dis-abled Riviera out of the Service Bay until parts arrive. Man-handling my dead Riv with no Power Steering, big hands and knuckles broke my Turn Signals. Hasn't been the same since.

• Haha 1