2023 Grand Nationals - date and location?

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 2023 Grand Nationals - date and location?
  • 1 month later...
On 5/16/2022 at 5:18 PM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Ed, nothing is final yet.  The Board of Directors will meet next month and maybe a decision will be made then.  Sorry for the delay but nothing seems easy anymore!!

Any update on this?

Ed,

I feel for you and so many other members that a list of all upcoming regional plus the grand national events are not listed in several places on this site. It makes it so hard to plan vacation time when the 2023 dates have yet to be decided. Yes it is published in the magazine and so I have to either cut out or photocopy the page and post on the wall to look up dates. Why not post on the website calendar and maybe in the forum too?

In addition, I was at the Vegas Western show, which was well done, but sparsely attended, and was flabbergasted that no 2023 date and location was announced during the awards banquet. I've been a member at least four national Chevrolet clubs since the early 1980s and we always announced at the Western Nationals banquet when and where the next show would be held. In fact, we usually had a contingent from that host club present. They often stayed after the banquet to answer questions and "hype" next years show. Some people even registered on the spot!

Actually, I still have no idea if there will even be a 2023 Western Nationals show. And when I ask I get the reply that the Grand Nationals date and time has yet to be decided. Which was not what I asked.... Well, with such a small turnout at the 2022 show I have my doubts the board would select a location west of the continental divide and my perception at this show was that the "Board" really does not have a very good relationship with western chapters in general.

Ed, I think most Western members realize we have a long way to go but at this point shouldn't it be a goal to have a Western Nationals show every year? If/when we get hundreds of cars on a regular basis then we can "politely ask" if a Western location would be considered for the Grand National.

I eagerly look forward to a flood of replies from Western Chapters. :)

7 hours ago, 1st gen Brian said:

...Western show, which was well done, but sparsely attended, and was flabbergasted that no 2023 date and location was announced during the awards banquet....

Actually, I still have no idea if there will even be a 2023 Western Nationals show. And when I ask I get the reply that the Grand Nationals date and time has yet to be decided....

Brian, the national AACA is trying, I can assure you!

Coming from a large AACA region that hosts national meets

occasionally, I can give you some insights from our longest-

term members:

It used to be that each of the AACA's geographical divisions--

Western, Central, Eastern, and Southeastern--would hold a

national meet twice a year.  So there would be a Central Division

National Spring Meet, a Central Division National Fall Meet, etc.

There would also be a Southeastern Division Winter National Meet

every year, usually in Florida;  and an occasional Special National Meet.

Look back at national magazines from the 1970's or 1980's,

and you may see that's the case.

National meets used to be scheduled much farther in advance,

because there were plenty of regions willing to host them!

The situation would be like, "If we want to host the Eastern

National Spring Meet for 2026, we'd better say so now.  The

slots are filling up!" 

Now, it is harder to get clubs to host a meet.  The members

tend to be older.  I suggested to one region that their lake-side

village location would be a spectacularly beautiful setting--

and they already host a large flea market every year--but their

editor said they were getting older, and their big flea market 

was even in jeopardy.

We AACA members are grateful for regions who do step up.

Here's one board member asking for recommendations:

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

First, we have to have a region who will take responsibility for organizing an event in their area.  Boots on the ground!  As regions apply to national the BOD have the responsibility of ensuring that the location is suitable and has a chance of success.

The Grand National in 2023 is slated for an indoor, air conditioned facility in East Moline, Illinois on August 11-12.  Same location as our national this August in East Moline.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 1st gen Brian said:

I have my doubts the board would select a location west of the continental divide and my perception at this show was that the "Board" really does not have a very good relationship with western chapters in general.

I am not a member of AACA because there are so few events (tours) held anywhere near the Northwest or west coast states.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

First, we have to have a region who will take responsibility for organizing an event in their area.  Boots on the ground!  As regions apply to national the BOD have the responsibility of ensuring that the location is suitable and has a chance of success.

The Grand National in 2023 is slated for an indoor, air conditioned facility in East Moline, Illinois on August 11-12.  Same location as our national this August in East Moline.

Thanks Steve. That's awesome that we will have an indoor venue. Hopefully, it will work out. 

14 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Great to hear that the 2023 Grand National will be held in East Moline, IL.  It will be nice to have it at an indoor venue.  

Tim

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The 2023 Grand National hosted by MVR has been scheduled for the Bettendorf Riverfront Convention Center for over 3 months. The East Moline Bend XPO Center can only hold around 160 vehicles spaced for judging and there are not enough motel rooms available on site.

On 6/28/2022 at 8:05 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Steve, is the 2023 Grand National still being held in East Moline or has it been moved?

I am sure I am not the only AACA member who is confused by the post in this thread that suggests it has been moved.

Thank You for clearing this up.

1 hour ago, charlier said:

Steve, is the 2023 Grand National still being held in East Moline or has it been moved?

I am sure I am not the only AACA member who is confused by the post in this thread that suggests it has been moved.

Thank You for clearing this up.

Seems black and white to me!

"The Grand National in 2023 is slated for an indoor, air conditioned facility in East Moline, Illinois on August 11-12. "

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣  Thanks West.... Did I miss this change in the last Speedster??

Hopefully more detailed information about this event will be published before the end of this year..... 

Also, there was mention in another thread (by Dave A, I think) about more events being added to I believe the 2023 calendar.

What's that all about and if so when is the AACA membership going to be given information about that?

Charlier, 

We have 4 or 5 different regions that have expressed interest in and have begun working on doing a Nationals in the Central Division in the next 2 years.   They are working on a location, host hotel, dates, activities, etc for their event.  Until they have worked things out and officially apply for an event there is no announcement to make to the membership, just that there is hope for some more events.  I have been asking, pleading, cajoling, etc both Central and Western Division Regions to hold both Nationals and Tours.   I have gotten the answer "we are too old, to tired, too few members, etc more times than I can count!   If you have a way to get Regions to step up, Please share it with me.   

On the subject of the Grand National, the location was changed in the last few weeks and will now be at an indoor facility in Bettendorf, just across the River from East Moline.   New host Hotel has been named also.  This was done for a number of logistic reasons including costs to the region.  As West said the dates are the same.

To everyone, If you have ideas on regions or Chapters that may be willing to hold a Nationals or a Tour, Please feel free to contact me!! (AACADave@yahoo.com) .  There are a lot of openings still to be filled.   The National will work with you to make your event a successful one!!   

On 9/16/2022 at 8:00 PM, DAVE A said:

Charlier, 

We have 4 or 5 different regions that have expressed interest in and have begun working on doing a Nationals in the Central Division in the next 2 years.   They are working on a location, host hotel, dates, activities, etc for their event.  Until they have worked things out and officially apply for an event there is no announcement to make to the membership, just that there is hope for some more events.  I have been asking, pleading, cajoling, etc both Central and Western Division Regions to hold both Nationals and Tours.   I have gotten the answer "we are too old, to tired, too few members, etc more times than I can count!   If you have a way to get Regions to step up, Please share it with me.   

On the subject of the Grand National, the location was changed in the last few weeks and will now be at an indoor facility in Bettendorf, just across the River from East Moline.   New host Hotel has been named also.  This was done for a number of logistic reasons including costs to the region.  As West said the dates are the same.

To everyone, If you have ideas on regions or Chapters that may be willing to hold a Nationals or a Tour, Please feel free to contact me!! (AACADave@yahoo.com) .  There are a lot of openings still to be filled.   The National will work with you to make your event a successful one!!   

Dave A,

Thank You very much for the additional information. When you said in another post the "next two years" I made the incorrect assumption that you were referring to 2023 as one of those years which was absolutely my bad. Had any of these events actually been scheduled for 2023 then not being informed about them until early 2023 would have been a challenge for those AACA members who work for a living and have family obligations. I should have known better that the AACA would not give such short notice for a National in 2023. Sadly, I am one of those members who needs as much advance notice of a National especially when it involves 1400-2000 miles of driving (round trip). Just like an AACA National, for me there is a LOT of logistics and planning to be done. Not nearly on the scale of a National but still not just a "yeah, I'll go, no big deal" kind of decision either. 

Thank You so much for all your efforts in your work with recruiting Regions to host Events. That work and the work by the Regions in putting on these events is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Charlier;

Should one of the Western or Central Regions come forward to fill the blank spots in the schedule, and should they decide they can do it in time for 2023, it would be taken under consideration.  It has become a real struggle to get any Region or Chapter to think over a year in advance.  The needs to plan by those that work and need the notice for vacation is understood, however, it seems the pandemic and economy have made people change the way they think and plan.  I can assure you however, that notice WILL be published as soon as there is anything official and final!!   

• 4 months later...