If Cadillac is hailed as the first SELF starter in 1916, Why is my BIJUR starter drive stamped 1914 ?

Olde Dude2

27 minutes ago, Olde Dude2 said:

My starter drive does not look much different than todays drive.. My curiosity is piq'd by the stamping "BIJUR Pat. applied 1914". I thought Cadillac had the lock on that product when they said their model 1916 was first self starter.

Cadillac had is standard in 1912

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to If Cadillac is hailed as the first SELF starter in 1916, Why is my BIJUR starter drive stamped 1914 ?
  • 6 months later...

Hi Guys,

I’m new to this forum and to the veteran car community, but would like to share some photos of what I believe to be a 1912 DELCO ignition system - self starter… all the research I’ve done seems to confirm this .. would welcome anyone to verify it is indeed what I think it to be or correct me as to what it could be if it is not.

kind regards,

Mathew

B089A37D-F2ED-4E47-BAD8-C0FAA5DCDD9F.jpeg

0383C2DC-9B78-4B14-84EB-6DA56C373300.jpeg

D21F9CC6-DBC4-4335-B0FA-E59C9D6107F4.jpeg

B22F836B-467D-4FF5-9BEE-E6F599FD6BA0.jpeg

CD6713F3-2604-4F3D-A271-F18EE54CAD01.jpeg

1AD03638-F535-4CDC-A968-9D9F504077A1.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/17/2022 at 7:05 PM, Hudson33 said:

I’m new to this forum and to the veteran car community, but would like to share some photos of what I believe to be a 1912 DELCO ignition system - self starter… all the research I’ve done seems to confirm this .. would welcome anyone to verify it is indeed what I think it to be or correct me as to what it could be if it is not.

It looks like the early cadillac system (but on the wrong side of a car for a 12) - what car is this on?

On 4/27/2022 at 5:09 AM, 8E45E said:

I would rephrase that to "What is the last vehicle to have a starting crank with a hole to insert it".   

I do know Studebaker trucks offered starting cranks into the '50's on the 2R series for export markets, and there is a hole for the crank at the base of the grille.  And several English cars also had provisions for a starter crank into the 1950's as well.  The same was true for Lada into the early 1980's.

Craig

My '59 Triumph TR3 had a hole for the crank and a crank in the tool kit. 

I had a 1963 Renault Dauphine; that had a hand crank for the engine.  It also doubled as the wheel lug wrench. That was part of the vehicle tool kit.

Dauphines were produced up until about 1967.

I do remember we always used the hand crank; when doing a tune-up; which included an engine valve adjustment. The hand crank was really the best tool to turn the engine over to the proper place to adjust whatever valve you were adjusting.

intimeold

Edited by intimeold (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, intimeold said:

I do remember we always used the hand crank; when doing a tune-up; which included an engine valve adjustment. The hand crank was really the best tool to turn the engine over to the proper place to adjust whatever valve you were adjusting.

That’s all it’s used for by the twenties for Cadillac, they tell you not to hand crank the car in the manual

• Like 1