1967 Buick speaker information

60s GM Fan

Good morning from sunny AZ!

I was curious if someone has information regarding the speakers that I have in my 1967 Buick Wildcat Custom Convertible.  I'd like to replace the speakers that are already in their to ensure that I get the best quality sound out of them once I install the radio.  If someone could please provide me the correct model numbers for both the front and rear I'd be most grateful.  Thank you.

You MIGHT have some problems with the front speaker replacement/removal.  When I upgraded my '77 Camaro to a 4-speaker system, as most front speaker stereo-replacement speakers went in the place of the single front speaker (but with two speakers on a board), the soft rubber surround of the speaker's metal housing was glued to the bottom side of the dash, as if it was in concrete.  Seems like the front speaker in my '68 LeSabre conv was similar, too.  In either case, no getting the existing speaker out without deforming the metal panel they are assembled against.

IF you can get the front speaker out, you can get it reconed, probably using a better/more responsive material.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...

You need to verify the speaker impedance. I want to say it should be 8-10 ohms. Aftermarket speakers are usually 4 ohms or less and can blow your factory radio. There used to be a vendor that sold new speakers with better components but I believe the owner died. If it's a relatively standard speaker size, you might get lucky and find some at a junkyard. Most oem applications I believe are still 8-10 ohms.

• Like 1

Hello 

For all your "older" car stereo speakers and radio needs go to S&M Electro-Tech Inc. They are located at 8836 Xylite Street NE, Blaine, Minnesota 55449. Phone 763-780-2861. They manufacture speakers and modify old radios. They are good to buy from and deal with.

Thank you

John

• Thanks 1

I just Googled   "6 x 9 8 ohms"  Lots of hits.

Does the speaker you took out look like the same pattern of mounting holes?