'28 Hudson Super 6 Coupe $25K OBO in Texas

Seems like a lot of car for near Model A money! Love that dash! 

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1482564/1928-hudson-super-6-for-sale-in-wichita-falls-texas-76308

1928 Hudson Super Six 2-door coupe with rumble seat.  Overall condition is good with running inline 6 engine and is drivable.  Contact through website

1928 Hudson Super 6 (CC-1482564) for sale in Wichita Falls, Texas26456899-1928-hudson-super-6-std.jpg26456821-1928-hudson-super-6-std.jpg26456818-1928-hudson-super-6-std.jpg26456854-1928-hudson-super-6-std.jpg26456827-1928-hudson-super-6-std.jpg

• Like 4

When an automobile comes from the factory with a temperature gauge, why would someone put on a motometer?

Just asking.

11 hours ago, kbeach said:

When an automobile comes from the factory with a temperature gauge, why would someone put on a motometer?

Just asking.

We’ll judging by the fact that some one put a ballast resister on the distributor, I’d say someone put a 12 bolt battery in it. 
so the temp gauge could be fried , 

hence the Moto meter. 
lots of things wrong with that car. 

I'm always the Debbie downer but I see some issues that raise question to quality of any work done.  The paint on the dash looks very rough and quickly sprayed over whatever was there.  Cowl paint on the engine close up,  doesn't look great as well.  Nothing wrong with not being fully restored either but the instrument panel was never redone, so I would look close at everything.  It's probably priced right if not a bit high.   Still a neat car,  I just think if you looks deep,  it will show to be a quick refurbishment and not really a restoration,  pay accordingly.  I also don't thin the temp gauge would be affected by 12 volts as it should be a mechanical gauge. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Why does the center gauge read "Gas or Oil"?

Some cars,  Like Auburn and Cord,  had an oil level and gas gauge combined that you pushed a button to show you the Oil level,  otherwise it would show you the gas level.  I had no idea either until I owned my Cord,  then found the sending unit in my Auburn oil pan when I pulled it. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My 1929 Hudson has the same dashboard. I could not make this double function gauge work in my car, because of the lack of engine level float. In addition to this electric gauge, there is a glass tube in the engine side with vertical indicator of oil level.

• Like 1

For Hudson, its the little button between the choke and ignition switch, when pushed will switch over to the sending unit in the oil pan.

7 hours ago, paulrhd29nz said:

We’ll judging by the fact that some one put a ballast resister on the distributor, I’d say someone put a 12 bolt battery in it. 

hence the Moto meter. 

I'm only learning just about Hudsons, but I would not have expected the temperature gauge to be electrical.

• 2 years later...
On 4/21/2022 at 7:09 AM, paulrhd29nz said:

hence the Moto meter. 

I have been communicating with the owner about purchasing this car and I would really appreciate it if you could point out the problems or issues that you see? Thank you so much.

Should I? Or should I not?

Just looking at the photos again, overall it is decent looking, however appears to be a mediocre restoration. The interior is not correctly done, and some things hanging loose under the dash. I don't know if the color is correct or not for that year/model Hudson, however I don't think it is a great choice (although my general opinion is that IF it is an original color for that car, an original color is always the correct choice!). The rumble seat lid doesn't appear to fit properly. Which in turn makes me question whether the rumble seat is original to the car or not? Over the years , a lot of people have installed rumble seats in coupes that originally had a trunk there. They did not always do the job correctly.

One should should inspect such a car closely before agreeing to a price or purchasing it. If a person is not somewhat familiar with similar cars, one should take a trustworthy friend that is familiar with such cars to help assessing whether a car is properly done or not.

Those series of Hudsons were great cars in their era, and make excellent tour cars today IF they are well done and properly maintained.