Vin location for a 1946 ish H series Lincoln sedan

46 Lincoln EFN

Well, the answer is "sometimes." There are several different numbers on cars of this vintage: body number (the tag on the firewall), frame number, and engine number. Sometimes they're the same and sometimes they're not, and different states would choose different numbers to register the cars. On your Lincoln, the number can be several places:

Stamped on the front cross member on the driver's side near the water pump.

On the transmission bellhousing near the inspection plate.

On the left rear frame rail somewhere near the gas filler tube.

The body number is that plate you found on the firewall, but since they re-used body numbers each year this typically wasn't used as the serial number to register the car.

You may have to dig through rust and gunk and maybe remove some paint to find the numbers, which can be quite faint. Use a good flashlight and a Scotch-Brite pad to get down to bare metal in those areas to try to find the numbers. It may take a while and you may have to look in a wider area than you think. It was not a consistent process and the numbers were usually hand-stamped.

What number is on the title? Your only choice is to find that number on the car somewhere.

• Thanks 1

Just another word of advice: don't spend a penny on that car until you have a good title. Buying a car without a title is a mistake, but that's water under the bridge now. If you can't get title the car is worthless, so don't start anything else, don't spend a dime or a minute of your time on it until you have a title. You don't want to end up with a lot of money tied up in something you don't own and can't sell.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't know. Every state is different. Some states are apparently easy to get new titles, while some (like Ohio, where I am) it's virtually impossible. If the car has a previous registration from a non-title state, that might be helpful. A bill of sale might be useful, but since they're so easy to fake I don't know that it will be sufficient by itself. Check with your DMV and see what the steps are to get a title for a car without a title. There might be a bond involved but they should be able to give you the process. Good luck!

VIN's as we know them today did not start until mid 1950's. Were not standardised until 1981.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

Without a good title you have some random parts

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Here in Canada there are no titles that I am aware of. Just registration documents. In British Columbia the DMV have records back to 1932 , other Provinces keep old records on file for a much shorter period of time.

Even if no record of your vehicle is on file it is often possible to resolve registration document problems. But it is usually a condition that the vehicle is intact and available for inspection. So often it is necessary to spend time and money on a vehicle you don't have official ownership for. Always a bit of a gamble , but only rarely do I hear of someone coming to a complete , absolute dead end. Unless of course you have the misfortune to end up with a vehicle that is recorded as stolen.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Every state is different. Some states are apparently easy to get new titles, while some (like Ohio, where I am) it's virtually impossible. If the car has a previous registration from a non-title state, that might be helpful.

Trying to get this done in Ohio right now. I have three untitled vehicles that I'm trying to get titled. I've been to the BMV three times so far, and I'm sure I have at least two more visits ahead of me, not including a separate visit with each car so they can visually inspect the vehicle number.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all ,

So fyi In Massachusetts If you have a vehicle without a previous owners Title or registration, One Has to have a notarized bill of sale and a notarized  Affidavit stating when the seller bought  it and why the seller sold it, and   A proof of visual inspection form that an officer/ “cop” has to fill out, They need to confirm the “vin” .  A bit much but doable.  

Hope this helps anyone who wants to know.  

It is easy to say, never buy a vehicle that does not have a title.  I was a dealer and notary, you have to add to that last sentence; a "Clear Transferable Title".

Taking a title with someone' else's name on it; is usually worse.  Many times buying at Carlisle Swap Meet or Hershey, or anywhere; the current owner never applied for a title because he didn't want to pay the tax on it. I mentioned those 2 particular shows/car corrals; because I have had experience there. New Jersey is close to those 2 meets. It seems some,  New Jersey sellers try to pull that a lot. I am only talking from experience so don't kill me here. 

I have seen many horror stories; some can be fixed. A little time and legal work plus $$$, can fix some problems.

intimeold 

Edited by intimeold (see edit history)