Trying to make Hershey this year, first time advice?

Miguelg510

Hi all, I am trying to weasel my way to the Hershey show this year for the first time, and I have been told if I don't have reservations already in place by now, I'm pretty screwed. Is this true?

Any advice you can give me as a first timer? Am I really going to have to get a hotel 2 hours away because I'm late?

Thanks,

There are lots of hotels there, but they all know that this event allows them to raise their prices.  You likely won't find one across the street from the event site, but it would not hurt to set your hotel comfort level and to start trying to book a room.

• Like 3

The Country Inn & Suites by Raddison at Union Deposit Road east of Harrisburg still had many rooms available when I made my reservations last week.  I stay there every year, it is very nice.  :)

If this is your first visit to Hershey, here are some suggestions:  Take a lightweight, folding grocery cart to hold your part finds as you continue to walk around.  Put a light bag or cardboard box in the bottom of the cart so that small parts don't fall through the wire grid onto the ground.  I put a small folding chair and some full water bottles in my cart so that I can stop anywhere on the grounds to rest and have a drink of water.  Go to the AACA site, download and print the site maps so that you can find your way around.  Plan on spending three full days to see everything without getting exhausted.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, alsancle said:

There’s so many hotels now you won’t have trouble getting one. I would book one in Harrisburg, which is a 25 minute ride.

I can definitely do a half hour drive… no problem. Thanks for the tip

9 hours ago, cudaman said:

The Country Inn & Suites by Raddison at Union Deposit Road east of Harrisburg still had many rooms available when I made my reservations last week.  I stay there every year, it is very nice.  :)

If this is your first visit to Hershey, here are some suggestions:  Take a lightweight, folding grocery cart to hold your part finds as you continue to walk around.  Put a light bag or cardboard box in the bottom of the cart so that small parts don't fall through the wire grid onto the ground.  I put a small folding chair and some full water bottles in my cart so that I can stop anywhere on the grounds to rest and have a drink of water.  Go to the AACA site, download and print the site maps so that you can find your way around.  Plan on spending three full days to see everything without getting exhausted.

Ok this is what I needed, I didn’t even know AACA had a map. 👍🏽
From watching videos and talking to people who’ve gone before, I hear it is a challenge to get through the whole place because of the size. Thanks for the tip on cart water and chair. Sounds like I need to pace myself. 

My buddy says there won’t be as many opportunities because Europeans and Canadians can’t travel still so tons of good parts aren’t coming again this year. You think this is true? I’d assume people in the states still have tons of stuff I can pick through right?

We need to get back to life and get together to enjoy each others company again. I’m so over this lockdown stuff.

7 hours ago, Miguelg510 said:

The part I am worried about is how to stash bumpers in my overhead compartment on the plan ride home 😂😂😂😂😂

Just put them under the seat(s) in front of you. No one will object 😗

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 4:42 AM, nick8086 said:

https://carlisleevents.com/events/schedule

I was told to check this out.. I think they have a show a week before  the Hershey show.

The "Fall Carlisle" flea market is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania

(about 30 minutes from Hershey), held the week before the

Hershey show.  Some people go to both.  Fall Carlisle is very

large, though it's not as good as it used to be.  Here is how

they differ:

---Fall Carlisle is not a show.  It is a large flea market with a

car corral (antique cars for sale).  Hershey has a show (one

day only), as well as a large flea market and large car corral

(most active on the days before the show itself).

---Carlisle's focus is on later antique cars and their parts, mostly

the 1960's and up;  whereas Hershey encompasses all years.

---Fall Carlisle is run by a for-profit company, and there is

an admission charge.  Parking is on local streets for free,

and in local people's yards where they will charge for parking.

The Hershey show is run by the non-profit AACA, and there

is no charge for admission, but parking is on land owned by the

chocolate company and they charge for parking.

---Both events have antique-car auctions accompanying them.

Carlisle's is run by the same company in a building about 2 blocks

away, with more affordable cars of the type seen at Carlisle; 

the one at Hershey is run by an auction company completely

independent of AACA, and has high-cost vehicles.

You can try both, but Hershey is significantly better.  If you want

to try Carlisle, this year go just one day (say Friday) to check it out.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Note that Hershey is ONE DAY EARLIER this year.

It runs from October 4 through 7--Tuesday through Friday.

Nothing is being held on Saturday from now on,

and nothing is ever held on Sunday.

The show will be on Friday this year instead of Saturday.

The Flea Market and Car Corral will be all 4 days, but

many flea market vendors close the day before the show,

so it may not be worthwhile seeing the flea market on Friday.

The car corral on Friday should be okay, but with somewhat

fewer cars.

So reserve Friday to see 1200 to 1300 beautiful antique cars

at the show, in a beautiful setting, a former golf course,

adjacent to the flea-market area.

On 3/3/2022 at 12:54 PM, Miguelg510 said:

Hi all, I am trying to weasel my way to the Hershey show this year for the first time, and I have been told if I don't have reservations already in place by now, I'm pretty screwed. Is this true?

Any advice you can give me as a first timer? Am I really going to have to get a hotel 2 hours away because I'm late?

Thanks,

I live 2 hours from Hershey.  I drive my registered Buick to the show.  First time for me last year.  Well organized. Everyone helpful in getting me to the area I needed to be.  PS, York Pennsylvania is not far. Plenty of hotels to book. 

On 3/26/2022 at 3:04 PM, avgwarhawk said:

I live 2 hours from Hershey.  I drive my registered Buick to the show.  First time for me last year.  Well organized. Everyone helpful in getting me to the area I needed to be.  PS, York Pennsylvania is not far. Plenty of hotels to book. 

Hey, I appreciate the intel my brother!