Still hoping to connect with Haynes owners.

BobinVirginia

@Graham Man

The Apperson brothers owned the Riverside Machine Works that Elwood Haynes commissioned and partnered with to create the original Pioneer car. After Haynes was established they parted ways with their companies. 
Haynes Metallurgical is still in business today and his car company was more of a hobby. 

I’ve been tremendously lucky with learning the history of the company via the Haynes Museum former curator Tim Rivers. Unfortunately, I’ve not yet connected with another car owner or anyone with hands on experience working on one. The information you just shared was new to me and thank you for sharing! 

I’m hoping to find another person stumbling through bringing a Haynes back to life. 

On 2/17/2022 at 7:06 AM, Graham Man said:

Not that it has much relevance but John Dillinger Senior owned a Apperson Jack Rabbit, the car John Dillinger learned to drive.

Never understood the Haynes-Apperson split?  Were cars sold under both names?  Looks like it was always one company?

image.png.8d499a55095e1fba19173dff2770eb12.png

An Apperson 8 in the ACD Museum.

Craog

12acd029.jpg

12acd030.jpg

• Thanks 1

I will have to look him up. I’m not familiar with him. If you’ve mentioned him before I want to apologize for not being able to recall it! I could go on about the whirlwind of life the past year and my lack of time but I’ll spare everyone. 
I’m surprised that there doesn’t seem to be anyone active on the forum with a Haynes. Thanks for any information shared!

It has pretty much always been true in the antique automobile hobby, and many other human endeavors. Part of the human genetic herd mentality. People like to buddy around with others with antique automobiles of the same marque.

In the more common makes, the Dodge people always hung together at big meets and tours, the Chevrolet crowd stuck together, and the Ford people were "us against the world"! Hudson, Nash, Studebaker, and a dozen others all had their following. When I first got going in this hobby, I had a 1929 Reo coupe. The amazing thing was that one of the local clubs I belonged to had about six members with Reo automobiles! How ever many of those that went a tour, usually parked together.

In the upper classes, Pierce Arrow, Packard, Lincolns and Cadillacs all had their groups. I knew a few people with Stutz automobiles. Even if they drove something else on a tour, they tended to hang around together.

There have always been individuals that wanted a car few other people had. I was always one of those. I have a 1927 Paige 6-45 sedan that my dad bought when I was in high school. That gave me an appreciation for Paige automobiles and history. There are several others on this forum that I see occasionally mention their Paige. But mostly, on this forum it seems to be Grimy and me!

Be proud of that Haynes! It is so much more than hundreds of "also rans". Haynes and Apperson have a unique connection to the earliest American automobiles that very few marques can claim. For whatever it is worth, a friend has a 1921 Apperson. I have followed them on a number of tours! Talk about a beautiful car!

• Thanks 1

One must be impressed by Haines.......after the Springfield boys built the first car, the Kokomo boys copied them............let's see if that kicks over the hornets nest! 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

One must be impressed by Haines.......after the Springfield boys built the first car, the Kokomo boys copied them............let's see if that kicks over the hornets nest! 🤣

I think they for the rest of their careers fought over who was really first!

Not so well known, there is a fair probability that Black beat them both by a few months? (See what that does to the hornet's nest?) It is mentioned in a book I have had for a couple decades, so that debate has been around for awhile. About five years ago, someone on another forum was saying a family letter had been found that supported the 1892 claim. I haven't heard anything of that debate for a few years now.

• Haha 1

Having the Haynes is what really sparked my interest in the early cars. 
I’ve been a gearhead my whole life and didn’t realize how much I DID NOT know about automotive history before the prewar era. 

Over the last two years I’ve been just amazed with all the fascinating makes that existed. Some I’d heard of and many I had not. That’s how I wound up on this forum. Looking for knowledge and information as well as connecting with people. I doubt that Haynes or the Duryea Brothers could’ve imagined their creations would still spark interest over 125 years later! 

Thanks to all of you for the discussion! 

• Like 1

Watch out for Kokomo.......last time we were there we almost had to punch our way out of the Wendy’s on the main drag..........two State Police officers stepped in at the last second...........we were sober, the town wasn’t. 

• Haha 1