Door panel installation question

Buick35

On my 35 Buick the interior was redone by a upholstery shop in the 70s in broad cloth.It still looks good but having to remove the door panel to replace the window I noticed the it was held on by a lot of small nails but are between the outside fabric and fiber board  if that make sense.Most of the nails came out during removal.My question is,could I reinstall the panel using Velcro strips? I don't know how they installed nails under the fabric?The door has a wooden frame.Thanks

GM at that time used nailing strips which were fastened to the door panel. There are individual replacement nails that crimp onto the board available but it does require removing the fabric from the door panel edge. I don't think that there is a simple way to repair that correctly without some work. Velcro, is not the answer. Sometimes, there is no easy fix! Restoration Specialties and I'm sure the GM parts guys carry them also.  

Re-attach the door panel with very small finish nails.  Pound the nail so it just starts to depress the upholstery material.  Use a needle to pull the material up an over the nail head, being careful not to cut the threads with the needle.  Trim shops us a tool called a regulator which looks like a very large needle.      John

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 41 Su8 said:

Re-attach the door panel with very small finish nails.  Pound the nail so it just starts to depress the upholstery material.  Use a needle to pull the material up an over the nail head, being careful not to cut the threads with the needle.  Trim shops us a tool called a regulator which looks like a very large needle.      John

Yes, this was the common method used with wood framed cars.  There are brads which slip through fabric easily.  Good description….you want to drive brads in far enough to hold, not so far it, as mentioned, catches fabric…

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 41 Su8 said:

What he said.

I use a magnetized Brad driver to start my brads. Often on original wood, a good bang of the hand on the tool will set the Brad to the perfect depth. When lifting the material over the head of the Brad, slip the teasing needle under the fabric about half an inch from the Brad and in about an inch or a little more. Lift the back of the needle away from the surface and it will pull the fabric over the head without stretching too much or leaving a hole showing. By the way, this method does not work on vinyl or leather. The holes always show on that type of material. Those use the metal tack strips fastened to the back of the panel.