decals for Sun test unit

Old buicks 2

I have a similar question/problem. The control labels on my '68 Buick's instrument panel are printed on thin plastic glued to the metal. Would a screen printer be able to reproduce similar pieces? Would I expect him to die-cut them to size (perimeter and knob and wheel openings) ? If not, I could probably trim them myself with a steady hand. Is there a special adhesive that is best for metal to plastic bonding that won't eat or distort the plastic, or a strong double-sided tape?  

buick 68 dash.jpg

I think most original white lettering like that is screen printed on. It doesn't look like a terribly difficult process. I am working on an ignition switch faceplate that was originally screen. Since I'm a novice and the surface isn't flat, I decided to try a dry transfer/ rub down decal. The print is all that transfers from the sheet to the part, so there is no clear film necessary to hold it all together. These just came in the mail yesterday. I hope they work as good as they look.

KIMG1366.JPG.a9f5706e9b3df7a9320bdbde1768a5aa.JPG

• Like 1

Sign shops are good at that as well as other car tags. I had a reproduction of a don't stick your fingers in the fan adhesive warning. The sign guy asked if I wanted to make a run to sell and get my money back. I said no, just make 3. The other two are safe between the pages of my shop manual.

Don't forget, the root word of exclusive is exclude.

7 hours ago, f.f.jones said:

I have a similar question/problem. The control labels on my '68 Buick's

I can't remember for sure but if those raised areas (the lettering) is supposed to be black take a pink eraser like you used in grade school and spray it with black paint on one of the widest sides and then press the fresh paint against the lettering.  The eraser will have just enough give to coat the raised part but not so much as to get onto the silver.

14 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Paramount Limited will probably have them. 

Google lists pages and pages of Paramount Limited companies. Would you please identify which one you have referred us to? Are they printers/silk-screeners or parts suppliers? 

Thanks for your assistance.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:13 AM, 3macboys said:

I can't remember for sure but if those raised areas (the lettering) is supposed to be black take a pink eraser like you used in grade school and spray it with black paint on one of the widest sides and then press the fresh paint against the lettering.  The eraser will have just enough give to coat the raised part but not so much as to get onto the silver.

The letters on my original dash are printed (flat, not raised) and are sandwiched (laminated?) between a clear top layer of plastic and a solid color bottom layer, then glued to the metal instrument panel. Since the area won't be subject to hard use, I can get by with a surface screen print on a similarly colored background. Cutting the material to fit the knobs and switches and having it look and fit as original will be the challenge. The old, original pieces are weathered, warped and faded.

None the less, I appreciate your input.

On 2/15/2022 at 3:08 AM, ryan95 said:

I think most original white lettering like that is screen printed on. It doesn't look like a terribly difficult process. I am working on an ignition switch faceplate that was originally screen. Since I'm a novice and the surface isn't flat, I decided to try a dry transfer/ rub down decal. The print is all that transfers from the sheet to the part, so there is no clear film necessary to hold it all together. These just came in the mail yesterday. I hope they work as good as they look.

KIMG1366.JPG.a9f5706e9b3df7a9320bdbde1768a5aa.JPG

I have used those press-on letters for presentations on paper and art-board stock and they do a fine job as long as you line them up carefully. I have found them very fragile once they are applied and are damaged easily. A protective coating should be used in areas of high use. Possibly a spray "fix" available at art stores would seal the surface from wear or there might be a cleat enamel or clear finger nail polish that wouldn't eat the letters like lacquer will. Make sure you do a test sample and don't experiment with your project piece. Good luck.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:21 PM, f.f.jones said:

Google lists pages and pages of Paramount Limited companies. Would you please identify which one you have referred us to? Are they printers/silk-screeners or parts suppliers? 

Thanks for your assistance.

http://paramountd.com/about.html

27 minutes ago, f.f.jones said:

I have found them very fragile once they are applied and are damaged easily. A protective coating should be used in areas of high use.

That's about how I feel about them. In my case they will be behind glass. If they were exposed, I have heard to clear coat them if you can.

15 hours ago, ryan95 said:

That's about how I feel about them. In my case they will be behind glass. If they were exposed, I have heard to clear coat them if you can.

On the photo of the letter sheet you posted, it appears that the words have been printed in press-type  - not just letters in alphabetic order that must be applied individually. If that is the case, can you share the name of the vendor who does this? Do they offer a variety of fonts, colors and type sizes? This could come in handy for future projects.

Your reply will be appreciated.

I made the design with Inkscape and sent the file to customrubontransfers.com.  Anything you can draw up, they can print. Here are some more pictures. You cut out and tape the decal in position and then burnish it on.

1635615128_KIMG13712.JPG.2497a2c8ad44cc7a16a02a25f0c75c76.JPGKIMG1369.JPG.c93aa0549d2369395e03dba0c9cda038.JPGKIMG1374.JPG.06bffe268423635895396d6001cc80c8.JPG

• Like 2

That looks really great!    I presume you still have to install the protective (glass) overlay to keep the letters from rubbing off.  I looked up the websites you listed and am anxious to get started.

Thanks for all the information. I hope the rest of your project is as successful. Post some pictures along the way.

After trying them out, I have a little more confidence in them. They are more durable feeling than I expected. I also didn't like the placement of the first one so I tried removing it with wax and grease remover. To my surprise it dissolved like it was actually printed on the piece. I was expecting it to lift off like a bunch of little stickers. I need to start sharing more of the project on here.