1971 Firebird Formula 455 HO M22 4 Speed 455 HO 4SPD PHS Documented 1 of 159 Produced

We see lots of Trans Ams but this is a pretty rare car and I think it is interesting.  What do you guys think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224796086635

1971 Pontiac Firebird Formula 455 HO M22 4 Speed. There were 166 455 HO manual Formula's produced in 1971 however 7 of these cars were 3 speeds making this car 1 of 159 with this engine and trans combo. This Formula retains all of its original sheet metal with the exception of the front valance which was replaced before painting due to heavy denting. I purchased this vehicle 18 months ago from an older gentleman with the intention of doing a light "OE" inspired restoration and bring the car back as close to factory spec as possible. The car received a complete repaint in September of 2020 over its original sheet metal panels. The interior is also original with the exception of a new headliner, upper door panels and an NOS shift knob. The dash is soft and crack free and the gauges are bright in color and unfaded.

I made countless corrections to this car to bring it back to factory spec. Some of these corrections include a proper date coded 1971 M22 Muncie transmission with new shift rods and clutch, NOS shift knob, restored 15" Honeycomb wheels, proper 1971 center caps, new bias ply Firestone tires, new wheel well moldings, new tail light bezels, new bumper, and radio. These corrections were made either with factory original parts or GM commissioned OE restoration parts. Other updated items include complete new back brakes, restored drive shaft and new yolk, new points distributor, new tuned q-jet carb from I-4 carbs, new cap rotor plugs and wires, new water pump, restored proper 1971 4 speed center console, new headliner, new upper door panels, new floor mats. 

On top of returning this car back to its original self, I cleaned and detailed the entire bottom of the car to improve the cleanliness of the solid original underside of the car. This car has never been apart for a complete restoration, instead has received a light restoration. The bottom of this car is extremely clean and does not have any rust or rot anywhere. The pictures of the bare metal control arms and other various items speak for themselves. This car spent most of its life in Nevada through the mid 1970's and into the late 1980's. At that point the owner moved to Massachusetts and drove the car on nice summer days while keeping it in climate controlled storage. The car changed hands in the early 2000's and the new owner had the same mentality and only drove the car on nice days while keeping it in his climate controlled garage. To the best of my knowledge this is a 3 or 4 owner car. I purchased this car 18 months ago because the owner wanted to buy a new Corvette. The engine was rebuilt in 2008/2009 according to the previous owner. It is a balanced 1970 YH coded 455 .030 over with #15 ported and polished heads. The performance from this combination is very similar to the original 455 HO combination which is what came in this car from the factory. This car is a gorgeous example of an original car that can win awards at local shows and be driven. I have driven this car about 150 miles over the past 18 months and have worked out all the bugs and kinks so that the new owner has a reliable car that they can enjoy driving with no headache. If anybody is interested I can build a proper 1971 WC 455 HO engine for the new owner for $15,000. This would increase the value of the vehicle dramatically but these engines and parts are hard to find. I have access to these high end parts only for the person who purchases this vehicle if interested in returning back to 100% proper driveline codes.

Image 2 - 1971 Pontiac FirebirdImage 3 - 1971 Pontiac FirebirdImage 6 - 1971 Pontiac FirebirdImage 10 - 1971 Pontiac Firebird

• Like 2

The 1971 Firebird Formula! I had a red one when I was 16 and loved it; still do but I don't have it anymore!  Mine was a 400 with a turbo 400 trans.  I always lusted for the honeycomb wheels but never got em.  Finding a good one like this one will cost your big bucks.  I know what these car are like but the prices make them un-obtainable for most including me. GLWTS!

AJ, when you first posted this, I thought "I love everything about this but the color".  It sent me off looking at other early FB and Trans Ams, and reminiscing about a specific one in my high School parking lot circa 1981......  After coming back and looking at this one several more times this morning, I even like the color.  The clean tail without a spoiler really appeals to me.  In a tribute to our dear Meatloaf who passed today, I'll make my drive to the office today thinking about an early Firebird/Trans Am with some "Paradise by the dashboard lights" to set the mood.  

"I started swearing to my god and on my mothers grave that I would love you till the end of time"

• Like 2

I expected a spoiler.  Even though that would deter from original, it's almost a requirement in my opinion.  I am different than many - I prefer the 2nd generation Camaros and Firebirds over the originals.  Whoever the designer was, he did a great job.  One of the best styled cars ever, in my opinion.  Overall, better than Corvettes.  

I've never owned a Camaro, but I have owned 2 Trans Ams, regretting selling both, a 1976, and a 1979.  

• Like 1

Great car! I love everything about it. Hitting early trans am prices though which traditionally sell for more. Add another 15k for the 'correct' motor and youre into Judge prices. I think it has had just enough 'originality' removed to warrant a total restoration. Completely sorted (with the correct motor) I would expect 75k, I would put this one in the 60k range.