Very early motorcycle carburetor (Revised....New correct picture)

JO BO

That would be exciting.......wish there was more info on the tag other than stating it was a world record setting carburetor. and for use on 5 hp engine 

but I guess that is better than nothing. gotta be some lit or story out there somewhere on this puppy

Edited by JO BO (see edit history)

I looked at that carefully as I was confused also but I think the penmanship is poor and was meant to say use with 5 hp engines  " The word use was omitted though" I know Witte " the stationary engine. has the e on the end of it's name and others have told me this is indeed motorcycle......Maybe the guy writing the tag had no idea of what he had ......or maybe he did.......I hope we can solve this together.....Think this was picked up at swap meet/yard sales many years ago.Thanks for the replies so far.

Edited by JO BO (see edit history)

• JO BO changed the title to Very early motorcycle carburetor (Revised....New correct picture)

Yes, with the plating motorcycle is quite probable. But the question now would be O.E.M. or aftermarket ? It does look quite small, so probably a rather small engine. Could you post a similar picture with something like a tape measure tape near the carb to give us a sense of scale ? 

If your carb is as small as I think it is, this is the sort of machine I would expect it to have been fitted to. A circa 1905 Motosacoche. These were quite popular, and a number of other makes made quite similar machines. Mostly a heavy duty bicycle , with a 200 C.C. engine.

Motosacoche-1905-3010-1.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Was suggested to me by another party that it may be Hercules or Merkel  1903/04  very interesting little carb. Wonder if it was fuel economy/speed/choice of application etc that made it a world record setter for it's time?

When I first saw the motorcycle carburettor, it reminded me of something similar to an early Wagner single. I've been looking for photos of one, but I can't find a clear picture of a motorcycle fitted with this type of carburettor. I've found this photo of a 1909 Wagner, but it isn't very clear. Just about all the Wagners online seem to be fitted with the more common Schebler Model H carburettor, possibly because they are easier to find than an original Wagner caburettor. Looking at the photo of the subject carburettor, assuming it sat behind the cylinder and that the carburettor mounted vertically, then the cylinder on the motorcycle would have slanted forward. Also it would have been an inlet-over-exhaust with an atmospheric inlet, as you can see where the valve stem guide mount fits on the inlet manifold. The other thing is, the carburettor on the Wagner looks like it has an adjustment lever out the top. Does this carburettor also have a provision for an adjustment in the same location? I have a couple of other resources I can check out, and I'll continue searching. It may not be from a Wagner, and it maybe something totally different.

1148768863_earlymotorcyclecarb.jpg.7af38cd7d8dc1c5537f3315326ef99b7.jpg

Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 14-21-38 (2353) Pinterest.png