Engine pre ignition knock

Oldcarbuff

What engine? 70s Ford engines were prone to that.

What weight oil and what is your oil pressure? Just to make sure it's not a wrist pin or rod knock.

If determined it is a detonation problem, make sure engine is not overheating. If it's an EGR engine, make sure the valve functions.

What octane fuel are you using? 87 octane in an engine over about 9.5:1 compression can cause it.

Run a couple cans of SeaFoam or Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner thru the tanks. Sometimes that will clean up carbon buildup. 

You might go back and edit your title, would help get more eyes on it.

Like the car. :)

Oh! There is a Brush forum way down the list; https://forums.aaca.org/forum/126-brush-automobiles/

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

I agree that checking timing should be the first step.  I recently looked closely at the timing on a 1909 2-cyl Maxwell using the setup shown.   I used a ‘whistler’ to find TDC for each cylinder, and setup a pair of plugs on a piece of angle iron bolted to the engine so that I could see exactly when the spark was occurring for each cylinder.   Then with the working plugs removed, I was able to turn the engine by hand thru the cycles and mark just where each spark was happening relative to TDC (at a fixed position of the spark advance.)  What I learned was that my timer was imbalanced, so to speak:  There was an offset of about 7 degrees of timing between the two cylinders.  I was also able to mark on my spark advance lever exactly where is TDC.

8713F2A4-0E41-4AAA-89B7-B96EF95E3FBE.jpeg.59a11d053dc564cf9a5f4288b04be918.jpeg

By the way, it could be carbon buildup as you say.  Carbon retains heat, sometimes enough to ignite the air/fuel mixture prematurely.  I have noticed that many of the very old owner’s manuals recommend once-a-year removal of the head to scrape away the carbon.

I have an old  head carbon cleaning outfit which resembles dentist hygienist tools, only heavy duty. Enough different shapes so scraping could be done through the spark plug hole. Probably a must for non-detachable heads.  It all folds up in its metal box. I have used it in the past on non-detachable head Chalmers and others.  If anyone is interested in it get in touch.   JIm43

DCP_2444.jpeg

DCP_2452.jpeg

DCP_2447.jpeg

DCP_2462.jpeg

DCP_2455.jpeg

• Like 2

Do you want to remove carbon from a single cylinder engine, just use a spray bottle with water in it. Running at 2/3 throttle fully warm, just keep spraying the water into the intake until you put two or 3 ounces through it. It’ll be perfectly clean in minutes. 

The odds of it being carbon causing a early fire are about zero.

10 to 1 says it a lean burn misfire or timing issue.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, water poured with proper precautions through the carburetor works on many engines, even Chevrolet V-8s. Always a good idea, but never remembered in time, to do the water trick before disassembling an engine. Makes the heads cleaner during disassembly. It also cured the spark knock of my aunt's '65 283 PG Chevelle that was just city driven.😉

• Like 1

We used the hose with the nozzle at a fine mist. watered the carb for a minute or so until it (the cool engine) stumbled and quit. Only do on a cool engine. Then we went one step farther and let it sit over night. Dont stand behind the car when it is started the next day. I learned this in auto shop from a good mechanics teacher!

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1