1964 Riviera Fuel Pump Painted?

Ken C.

1 minute ago, telriv said:

Mine was not except for the edges.

Thanks! I've heard form a chapter member that any paint on the fuel pump is overspray and not intentional. That seems to match your observation.

Factory #36 was the engine factory. The engine factory had a quality control manual which is very similar to the quality control manual used in the car assembly plants. In the engine quality controls manuals, there is a reference for the quality control person to use called a "standard paint mask use" which breaks down the components or areas which require masking. Regarding fuel pumps, the masking device used is described as a "cup". I have seen, on very original cars, as well as original fuel pump take-offs which I scoop up because they are rebuildable, is what I would describe as mild overspray to full on coating. It probably depended on who was doing the paint work, whether it was a Monday or Friday, and proper use of the "cup", if at all.

Attached is a pic of the masking guideline from an engine quality control manual for the `68 engines.

The fuel pumps were definitely mounted to the engines before the paint operation and received varying degrees of paint exposure. From what I`ve witnessed on the cars and pumps it seems to me they were not that particular about paint exposure regarding the fuel pumps as they might have been where the hoses mounted to the engine, distributor hole, etc. BTW...the water pumps received a full coating as well as the engine except where the hoses mount. I have some factory pics from the engine plant, I`ll see if I can dig them out and post.

Tom Mooney

engine plant quality control manual.jpg

66 buick engine plant.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lol...wish I had a shop that looked like this!

The pic is definitely `66 as the 401 has the lifting hook on the bellhousing, only year for that feature. I`m not an expert on the smaller engines but I believe the 2 engines in the foreground are `66 Wildcat 375 340 cu in engines.

Notice the 401 has AC and power steering brackets installed because critical fasteners are used to install those brackets. Also notice the bin of dipsticks in the right foreground and on the bench behind them? ...are those boxes of cast aluminum valve covers?!?

I have quite a few pictures of the engine plant and have collected various materials including engine plant newsletters and even a stand-up cardboard cutout of Mr Wildcat! Some day I`ll dig them out and post some pics.

Tom

engine plant 1.jpg

• Like 1

Somewhere, someone has posted a Dealer Service Bulletin with the years and colors of engines.  I think that only the Riviera and maybe the Wildcat had the red 425 engines.  I do not know if the 425 was available in the Electra.  If so, I would imagine that it was painted Buick Green.  The nailhead in the assembly line picture has the cast-in lifting loop on the rear of the block.  I also do not know if both 401s and 425s in '66 had that lifting loop.  But, I'm betting that someone knows all of the above permutations and combinations.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone ever run across a '66 Skylark with the Q-jet from the Riviera or the 11+:1 compression.  I cannot put my finger on my engine production code list currently, but there were a couple of optional engines that were available that had more than the 325 hp for the regular 401.

On 12/26/2021 at 12:02 AM, RivNut said:

Tom,

So no 425 for the Electra in 1966?

On 12/24/2021 at 5:23 AM, Chasander said:

401 was red in 66 Skylark GS

Yes,

425 was red in Riviera, Wildcat and Electra

401 was Buick Green in full size cars

401 was red in A body small cars

Tom