Help locating craftsman tool name

xlanci

Hey guys I’m looking for a old 1960s -1970s craftsman breaker bar but this one has an open ratchet mechanism where instead of flipping a switch side to side on the back to go clockwise or counter clockwise you flip a switch up and down on the side of the Ratchet I’ve found a few ratchets that are similar but they aren’t actually breaker bars if anyone has any info on this tool at all I would really appreciate it it’s very important for me to find it thank y’all for ya time 

Here’s a picture of something similar but it’s not a breaker bar but you can see what I mean about the open ratchet mechanism and yeah I’ve looked everywhere online that’s why I’m hoping someone else might have one or know of one

0F79965A-3834-47D4-859F-0201852CD803.png

Interesting. 🤔 Maybe just regional talk, but around here that is a ratchet even if it is 24" long. A Breaker Bar has no ratchet, just made to remove stubborn bolts/nuts.

The 70s ratchets I own are like the 90s ratchets. Same with Breaker Bars, 70s look like 90s.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

An unfortunate confusion of names.  A breaker bar is designed for maximum strength and has no reversing or ratcheting feature, only the ability to change the angle of the drive relative to the handle. The early ratchet drives with which I am familiar were not "reversible," but required the user to turn the tool over to rotate a nut or bolt in the opposite direction.

When I was a technician at the Space center they hired a young woman and handed her a ratchet.Her reply was "this thing turns the wrong way",also a crescent wrench .Then she said," it's too big" .True story.Not to condone female mechanics. I think she lasted about a week.

I understand the difference between a ratchet and breaker bar I only used those terms to better explain the specifications of the tool it was used just like a breaker bar would be to give you more leverage except it was also able to be used as a ratchet in either direction 

Wish you luck finding this. I don't even know what kind of a search string to tell you to use trying to find such.

I've seen long-handled ratchets like that, usually in 3/4" and 1" drive and usually female drive like the picture in 3mac's post, but never a breaker bar designed like that.

Picture when you find one!🙂

Are you looking for this wrench to add to your collection or use? If for use, even Harbor Freight sells a long handled ratchet. Doing a quick search on eBay, I don't see any open type, but there are a number of early long handle ratchets. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313&_nkw=vintage+craftsman+ratchet+long+handle&_sacat=0

Maybe change your search parameters, because as other have said, a breaker bar does not have a ratchet head on them. My Woodbury and Company (Portland Oregon around 1962) catalog shows Proto tool listing for 1/2 type having a handle around 15" (other brands they sold were about the same) for long handled ratchets. The Craftsman might be in that same ballpark length. I did not see them calling anything but ratchet tool, ratchet head with the option to buy different length handles. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)