1941 Dodge D-19 Interior Updates

MarkV

I thought I would make a post with some ongoing updates on my 1941 Dodge Coupe interior.

some points:

car has been in my family since 1955

It was originally black with a grey cloth interior

my mom was almost born in the car (she is now 64!)

in about 1960 my grandfather repainted the car red in his driveway and recovered the interior in red and blue plaid

the car ended up in disrepair following his passing in 1983

I ended up with it in 2003

got it running and driving and rewired it, brakes, fluids, trans and differential rebuilt.

I had it painted at Earl scheib in 2006! (I was a college student on a budget!)

the interior is a rough copy of what my grandfather did! 

1B545567-9C93-4C06-9036-953F6E2C03F6.jpeg

8B13952B-55AF-4940-B770-950866E2FC08.jpeg

E33D8E0A-BE2A-4BA3-9743-044B5E805034.jpeg

Each step is making you think "yep, that is how it has been and how I remember it". The satisfaction - and PRIDE has to be enormous. I am so happy for you .

Besides the smile on your face I am sure there are countless others on the faces of  people who have viewed this. You will remember this every time you take the car out for a ride from now on as will future generations. Congratulations.

• Like 2

Mark, I had the same black and white seat covers in my first car, a 57 DeSoto!  I bought them at a discount department store in 63 called EJ Korvettes in Elmhurst IL. I think they were probably less than $20. Same place I bought the black porch and deck enamel we brush painted the car with. Seeing your pictures brought back a lot of good memories. Hope you get the car looking the way you want it in honor of your grandfather. 
Have fun

dave s 

I guess I'd have to say I'm jealous!  My college car was a 1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe (same as yours but light blue), first year for fluid drive and last for running boards, as I recall?   

I drove it about four years and because I was transferred out of state, I sold the car.  My favorite memory was watching the speedometer needle turn from green to yellow to red, always made my girl friends smile when I said "you want to take a ride and watch my speedometer turn red"?

• Like 1

Dave and all. It was amazing how back in the 1950s-60s you could find and buy auto accessories in "department stores" not specifically auto parts stores.

I am guessing it gave the "Dad's" - husbands , something to look at while the wives looked at the other stuff usually found in department stores. There was an E.J. Korvettes store here on long island as well in Carle Place ( SW corner of Glen Cove Rd. and Westbury Ave. for the long island guys reading this) and I too would make sure we got to look in that before we left after shopping for "normal" household stuff and boring clothes. Behind the store there was a tire center as well.
Thanks for the memory".

10 hours ago, Fossil said:

You do nice work. I wish I'd been able to watch you do the door panels. I need to do mine. 

I wish I could take credit! But I went to a very old upholstery shop that has been in business since 1970. The gentleman is in his 80s

• Like 2

Kudos to you for hanging onto this family heirloom.  As business coupes go, the styling of these early '40s Mopars is hard to beat.  Great proportions with the long trunk & hood on either end of a short greenhouse.  I've always liked these.  Great looking dash, and now the upholstery & running boards are spiffed up to complete the package.

What a great Christmas present to one's self.

23 hours ago, 61polara said:

You'll enjoy it.  I've been following and enjoying your posts since you were a teenager.  Glad you're still with us.

Thank you! Yes it’s been a long time coming! The dodge appeared in the January 2008 Hemmings classic car magazine and the July 2006 issue as well! 

41B609D7-261F-40C2-9118-E0ED3DF64A8C.jpeg

• Like 2