Alive when car was new

Buick35

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Technically, it's an ST300 (Super Turbine 300).

Technically Pontiac just called it HydraMatic and Oldsmobile called it Jetaway. Buick did call it Super Turbine 300.

Anyroad, in stock form I like it much better than Powerglide, especially the Buick/Olds version with their switch pitch stator, something that Pontiac didn't get.

12 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Technically Pontiac just called it HydraMatic and Oldsmobile called it Jetaway. Buick did call it Super Turbine 300.

Anyroad, in stock form I like it much better than Powerglide, especially the Buick/Olds version with their switch pitch stator, something that Pontiac didn't get.

The Olds Jetaway name was first used on a 4 speed hydromatic that was introduced in 1956. Through the years Jetaway was used on several different Olds automatics. The ST300 is a 2 speed automatic. Jetaway can't be used alone without the correct numbers added to it. The designation has to be more specific with trans number or year.

1 hour ago, hook said:

The Olds Jetaway name was first used on a 4 speed hydromatic that was introduced in 1956. Through the years Jetaway was used on several different Olds automatics. The ST300 is a 2 speed automatic. Jetaway can't be used alone without the correct numbers added to it. The designation has to be more specific with trans number or year.

I know all of that, what are you trying to say?

BTW it's Hydra-Matic, not hydromatic. If we are to become technical about this, we should call the first Jetaway what its real name is. Controlled Coupling Hydra-Matic.

25 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

I know all of that, what are you trying to say?

BTW it's Hydra-Matic, not hydromatic. If we are to become technical about this, we should call the first Jetaway what its real name is. Controlled Coupling Hydra-Matic.

Oh dear, my spelling. I'm not trying to say anything, I said it.

9 hours ago, hook said:

TThe ST300 is a 2 speed automatic. Jetaway can't be used alone without the correct numbers added to it. The designation has to be more specific with trans number or year.

Olds just called it "Jetaway". We were talking about the two speed trans behind a 1968 Pontiac OHC six, when this started. Yeah, I realize the 1950s trans was also called Jetaway.

1964_Oldsmobile_Prestige-32-33.jpg

Well,

This thread Hydra-Matically Jetted Away like Greased Lightning  from the "clutches" of the intent,. 

Our 1915 Hudson was already a used car before my parents were born,

Mom and Dad were elementary school students when our 1930 Packard was delivered in Monaco,

and they were high school students when our 1937 Roadmaster Phaeton was delivered for Fiorello LaGuardia's parade car use,

yet, I'm sometimes asked if I'm the original owner when driving any of these.

I was an elementary school graduate and bonafide car-nut when our 1954 Cadillac convertible was being drooled over in the showroom,

the '41 Caddy convertible must have been just a "Used Car", having hit the streets of Asheville, NC more than a year prior to my natal day,

and yes, I'm sometimes asked if I'm the original owner.

When I started my first Post-Graduate  career, our Marina Blue Metallic, 4-speed stick shift '65 Corvair Monza convertible might have graced the local US-33 Car Hops and cruised to the Jersey Shore. While I could conceivably have been an original owner, a used '59 Chevy Del-Ray 2-door 6-cylinder with 3-on-the-tree and a bad rear wheel bearing was affordable while I paid off my Student Loan and several other expenses.

Near the time I started my third career, our red 1988 Corvette convertible was newly purchased by my cousin, and is still a single-family car.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

Well,

This thread Hydra-Matically Jetted Away like Greased Lightning  from the "clutches" of the intent,. 

Mom and Dad were elementary school students when our 1930 Packard was delivered in Monaco,

and they were high school students when our 1937 Roadmaster Phaeton was delivered for Fiorello LaGuardia's parade car use,

I was an elementary school graduate and bonafide car-nut when our 1954 Cadillac convertible was being drooled over in the showroom,

the '41 Caddy convertible must have been just a "Used Car", having hit the streets of Asheville, NC more than a year prior to my natal day,

When I started my first Post-Graduate  career, our Marina Blue Metallic, 4-speed stick shift '65 Corvair Monza convertible might have graced the local US-33 Car Hops and cruised to the Jersey Shore. While I could conceivably have been an original owner, a used '59 Chevy Del-Ray 2-door 6-cylinder with 3-on-the-tree and a bad rear wheel bearing was affordable while I paid off my Student Loan and several other expenses.

Near the time I started my third career, our red 1988 Corvette convertible was newly purchased by my cousin, and is still a single-family car.

Well done! I like auto Tech poetry; you've got a knack!

• Thanks 1

My age is a plus in this regard since I was born in 1948. I have never owned a 40s car, owned three 50s cars, countless 60s and 70s cars and at least one new car from every decade since the 80s. I did have a brief fling with prewar, owning one 20s and three 30s cars. While I was not alive for these my father was and him taking me to old car shows sealed my interest. The 1960s are by far my favorite period.

22 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Well,

Sorry folks, last thing I wanted to do was to hijack this thread with my comment about the 68 Firebird OHC Six.  Back to the topic of being alive when our cars were built.

22 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

While I could conceivably have been an original owner, a used '59 Chevy Del-Ray 2-door 6-cylinder with 3-on-the-tree and a bad rear wheel bearing was affordable while I paid off my Student Loan and several other expenses.

There was no Del-Ray for 1959.

Craig

On 12/10/2021 at 4:34 PM, 8E45E said:

There was no Del-Ray for 1959.

Craig

Thanx for the correction-

It was it probably a Biscayne?

Badge-Engineering by upping the model with the next-better name from the prior year?

In any event, the most basic 1959 Chevy model - a well-used '59 Chevy 2-door 6-cylinder with 3-on-the-tree and a bad rear wheel bearing-

but back in 1965, the $50 price tag was attractive, as long as it started, stopped, and could pass NJ State Inspection, and allowed me to start working and paying off my Student Loan