Great leapin' cars!

Funny how the military loved to "fly" their vehicles. Here's an early Canadian Military Pattern (CMP) 15cwt  testing its' springs ca.1940. Hard to tell if it's a Ford or a Chevy. They used the same sheet metal.

CMP truck flying.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Heh. High school years. The neighbor's son, a year older than me, got his driver's license which meant we had some freedom. 

They had a 68 Bonneville 4DHT which Joe had use of for Friday nights, and he and I would often meet our krewe at the local bowling alley.

My dad used to say nothing that family had knew how to idle, and to say Joe had a lead foot was an understatement. Between him and his dad the 428 in that Bonneville couldn't possibly have had any carbon buildup.

On the way home there was a long river bottom with a bridge that emptied onto a long hill going into Milton village. The road dropped again after cresting the hill.

We probably crested that hill at 70 mph and the Bonneville went airborne; we're talking full suspension droop airborne.

When that car landed, amazingly he kept control of it and didn't lose so much as a hubcap.

Next morning I saw Joe and his dad out in the yard and I could hear Mr F saying how in the hell did you bust all four shocks on the car at one time? and Joe saying daddy I don't know! Mr F saw me and said you were with him, what happened? and I said Mr F I don't know!😬

I don't know if he ever found out what really happened...😊

Back about 1990, a bunch of us from the company we worked for in Massachusetts would go out to the San Francisco area for the big Semicon West conference in San Mateo for a week of booth duty daytimes and fine dining in San Francisco in the evenings. We developed a “tradition” of taking our rental cars to the hills in downtown SF after dinner and flying them off the hills on Filbert or Lombard St. Downhill at speed, across the level intersection, and into the air as the hill fell away. Think of the scenes in Bullitt. I took the wheel one night with four passengers in the Lincoln town car while a fifth passenger got out as witness. He swore all four wheels got off the ground, no damage on landing. One of our multicar group left an exhaust system on a hill due to too much exuberance, so we decided to end the tradition while we all still lived. Too bad we didn’t have cell phones in those days to record the flights. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1