1950 Buick straight 8 head removal.

Mr. Reed

I've done some more reading. There seems to be a lot involved here so I will not be converting it to power steering anytime soon haha. It's probably about a thousand dollars just for the parts alone. Oh well thanks guys.👍

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing some thinking. I saw some wrenches that flex at the ratcheting end. Maybe those will get the clearance for the block to transmission bolts to remove them. My hand will barely fit between the firewall and the block with a normal wrench. Any thoughts or tricks that I'm missing thanks.

60591_W3.jpgShorter beam HF flex ratchets.

56428_W3.jpgAnd longer beam HF ICON series.

Either should accomplish your objective as a hobbyist. You'll notice the ratchet head on the ICON set is smaller and may allow you to get into tighter spaces. They are several times more expensive than the Pittsburgh set but still less expensive than tool truck brands- which are worth the expense only if you're making a living with them.

Having not seen your individual situation, It is hard to say what will work and what will not. On many cars though, @rocketraider 's example of a long extension and a swivel socket is on point. What may work best is a swivel extension on a regular socket if you can get enough angle with that to reach the bolt head. It is still done with a long extension from under the car.

Next would be the swivel socket or "universal" socket, chrome version. This will get you more angle, but be more prone to trying to twist sideways off the bolt head. Try different clockings of the socket with relation to the bolt head. Some stay on better than others.

Next after that is the impact version of the swivel socket, black with a ball shaped joint. These are less likely to do the job than the chrome ones because they don't bend quite as well, and are fatter and more likely to interfere with something. Definitely worth trying though if you have them around.

Last would be a universal joint adapter on a regular socket. Those are 99% useless, although it might be worth a try I guess. I've not found much use for those ratcheting head end wrenches either. I expect the head of the wrench would be too fat on most bellhousing bolts, as there is often barely room for the wall of a socket, but if it works more power to you! It would sure beat the one-or-two-notches-at-a-time method with a standard combination wrench that is necessary on some cars.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

If you use the chrome 3/8" drive flex socket there is also a vey long extension 3/8" drive to attach socket and the other end is for a 1/2" drive that attaches to ratchet for extra leverage.

Available in 12", 24", and 36" length.

Edited by NailheadBob
update (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2022 at 1:29 PM, Bloo said:

Next after that is the impact version of the swivel socket, black with a ball shaped joint. These are less likely to do the job than the chrome ones because they don't bend quite as well, and are fatter and more likely to interfere with something. Definitely worth trying though if you have them around.

Not my experience. These work really well. I have a set of metrics from Snap-On ($$$)and an SAE set from Harbor Freight($). The Harbor Freight set is 25 years old, so not what they are selling now. I do own the "chrome" swivel sockets (Craftsmen, older, not China), but hardly ever use them. 

8 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Not my experience. These work really well. I have a set of metrics from Snap-On ($$$)and an SAE set from Harbor Freight($). The Harbor Freight set is 25 years old, so not what they are selling now. I do own the "chrome" swivel sockets (Craftsmen, older, not China), but hardly ever use them. 

Many years ago I purchased the Snap-On  impact swivel socket set SAE, then some years later I purchased Matco impact swivel set metric, and I did not like using the Matco ones, I must have gotten spoiled using the Snap-On ones, I get cheap every once in awhile and usually comes back to bite me almost every time,  and I end up purchasing the Snap-On product.

Bob

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile but with the help of my dad's friend we got the engine out of the car. It's now on wood in front of the car to be painted next week. Then go back in the car and get reassembled. Then hopefully driven before fall and then maybe sold.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting my engine back this weekend from paint. I'm so excited. Dad and I made a pallet to put the engine and hold it steady so I can put a lot of the accessories back on it outside the car. Lots of reassembly to do. I'll post pics tommorrow or thursday. I'll lay the parts out on the floor with all the bolts and gaskets so I know what I have haha. It's been a minute since it's been disassembled.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing not getting painted torquise is the oil dipstick. The timing hole had some yellow paint on it so I'll put some on when I get it back to duplicate the factory markings. The steering box has this also. Does anyone have an original one they could post a picture of with markings or anything. Thanks. Nick

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 4:18 PM, NailheadBob said:

Engine looks great, what are you using to support front and rear of engine with , and is it stable? 
could you post photo of support setup

Bob

They used an engine stand and a scissor jack with a bar welded to it for support.

I used a thin (~1/8") bead of Permatex gasket maker on each side of my pushrod cover gasket.  I let it set on the cover side to make sure it stayed where it belongs before applying the sealer to the block side of the gasket and then installing the cover.  The cover bolts were another leak source on my 320.  I first tried dressing the original copper washers with a file, but they still leaked.  I finally replaced them with neoprene washers backed with larger steel washers under the bolt heads.  So far, after about 3 weeks, it is staying dry.  Also, I torqued my cover bolts in stages (working from center outward) to a final torque of 75 in-lbs.  I rechecked the torque after a couple of heat/cool cycles.

image.png.0ed07f786ca73009643f698d1ce13c91.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

I used a thin (~1/8") bead of Permatex gasket maker on each side of my pushrod cover gasket.  I let it set on the cover side to make sure it stayed where it belongs before applying the sealer to the block side of the gasket and then installing the cover.  The cover bolts were another leak source on my 320.  I first tried dressing the original copper washers with a file, but they still leaked.  I finally replaced them with neoprene washers backed with larger steel washers under the bolt heads.  So far, after about 3 weeks, it is staying dry.  Also, I torqued my cover bolts in stages (working from center outward) to a final torque of 75 in-lbs.  I rechecked the torque after a couple of heat/cool cycles.

image.png.0ed07f786ca73009643f698d1ce13c91.png

The gasket sits on the flange edge of the cover where it's curved inward right. When I took mine off there was nothing left of the old gasket just chunks of junk.

The cover has a weird crimp that is apparently supposed to pinch the gasket against the flat block surface.  The problem is there's nothing to hold the gasket or even really identify where it should sit on the cover.  I wound up staring at it, making measurements on the cover and engine before finally determining that the gasket apparently is supposed to sit on the cover so that the gasket 'reveal' is even all around the cover.  That's why I used the gasket maker to stick it to the cover and let it set before attempting to install the cover.  My old cover looked like a felt composite (e.g., Felpro) gasket and it was shot - saturated with oil.  I first tried re-sealing it, but it still leaked.

Here's a link to the thread where I detailed what I did with some pictures: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/371015-my-1938-buick-century-model-61/page/6/#comment-2437629  Just scroll up to the point just before the Glidden Tour summary.

Good news is it's clean and dry now...

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...