Chain Drive rear axle I.D. BUICK??

dustycrusty

A few decades ago I was piecing together a 1903 Cadillac and the Weston-Mott rear axle I had was very similar to that one. I can see the outside axle end is straight,not tapered and that's how the W/M axle shaft was. I know a guy in Colorado trying to piece together an 03 now and could probably use that one. Is it something you would part with and have a price in mind? And what part of the country do you hang your hat? Thanks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dustycrusty said:

An early, open centered differential. Any ideas what from- possibly Buick?

253875697_4489743547807966_752065533118965325_n.jpg

I would agree that the chain drive rear axle appears to be a Weston-Mott.  Similar to my '08 Model F, but not the same from what I can see.  I would like to see it up close if you are near.  Where are you located?

I have this accessory Float-A-Ford setup if you have any interest in trading for T stuff. Appears to be in good shape except the small right center spring is broken. No heavy pitting or bad rust issues. The internals of the rear axle are rusty and rough tho. I do have another small drum rear axle in good shape to throw in if you have interest. These pics are from my phone which I rarely use and the only two this post will accept.

IMG_0322 (1).JPG

IMG_0321 (1).JPG

• 3 months later...
On 11/8/2021 at 9:54 PM, Larry Schramm said:

I would agree that the chain drive rear axle appears to be a Weston-Mott.  Similar to my '08 Model F, but not the same from what I can see.  I would like to see it up close if you are near.  Where are you located?

This forum is amazing. A poster, asks a question about a part that is, really odd part; and a member here knows what it is.   

A wealth of knowledge, in the members here.

intimeold  

Agree that it looks like one from a one Cylinder Cadillac. I did some work on the one Pete Wing had. The brake jammed in his years ago. Oh what a mess. He had to have differential gears and other stuff made for it. Dandy Dave!

1907 Cadillac Rear End..png

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thanks Dave, Whenever Pete Wing is mentioned I look at the painting he did or walk into the living room to see the cigar store Indian he carved and swapped for a dirt track race car. He left way too soon. 

Yes. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. He was carving on one of those Indian type figures one time when I was there. In true Pete fashion he was doing it with a 4 inch angle grinder with one of those disks with chain saw teeth on it. He said. "Don't tell anyone how I do this. They all think I stand here with a mallet and chisel all day." He did do some of it with a mallet and chisel, but most of it was done with power tools. 😜 Miss that guy a lot. 😢 Think about him often. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

On 3/7/2022 at 4:17 PM, mikesbrunn said:

I just got a 1909 REO, 1 cylinder,  in parts, but no chain, any ideas where and what size?   I would think if you have the size and pitch I should be able to find something

thanks- Mike

I have about 180" of 1" pitch roller chain,fits a 9/16" sprocket,it's in a continuous loop,there are eight rods with cotterpins so it has some adjustment. PM me if interested.