57 Turn Signal Indicators On Dash

364nailhead

(Was the new switch exactly like the old switch in its wiring and such?)

Possibly some of the wiring got disturbed in the change-out?  Might need to trace the wiring from a Buick Factory Service Manual to see what triggers the inner instrument cluster lights?

IF the turn signals work great (the outer lights), what about the brake lights, too?  (for good measure)

Please keep us advised of what you find.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

No, thier not flashing too fast now with the new Flasher. But they did with the old one, that's why I put a new one in. 

When they flashed fast had dash indicators.

Now they flash slow have no dash indicators...

I will get another new Flasher Relay... And try that...

Okey, I pulled the left indicator light wire from the switch on the steering column. Connected a test light to the single terminal it blinked along with the turn signal.  The wire goes up to indicator bulb. Same thing happened with the right side indicator. Am I going to have to take the dash off and have a look? There's power at the switch on the steering column.

I might know what's going on here, but I am going to have to see a wiring diagram for your car. Do you have one or is there one online?

There is common issue that pops up on 53-54 Chevrolets and Pontiacs where GM did something really screwy with the dash indicator wiring, and it no longer works correctly with currently available flashers.

The 57 Buick is probably different since it is 12v, and things were more standardized by then, but I don't know. Do you have 2 pins or 3 on the flasher?

The third pin on the flasher is normally used to power the dash indicator on cars that have only ONE bulb to indicate both sides.

What they did in 53-54 was bizarre. They used 2 dash indicators, and wired them to the 2 sides, and instead of grounding them, they connected the side of the dash indicator bulbs that would have normally been grounded to the third flasher pin. Plug in a new flasher, and suddenly both indicators blink with either signal.

I really need to see the wiring diagram for this 57.

It looks like what they have done there is just made an extra set of contacts in the switch and used the "pilot" (third) terminal, and switched the dash indicators to it. Weird, but it shouldn't cause any problem with a modern flasher as long as it is the right one.

Didn't you say the dash indicators still work with the old flasher? If that is true, it has to be a problem with the new flasher. Either it is bad, or it is the wrong part altogether. Are you in the US and is this new flasher a US spec one? Some European and UK flashers use different pinouts.

Good luck with the fuel pump.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Bloo's description. To test, put old flasher in. If indicators light, then the flasher is at fault. Bad out of box as they say.

• Like 1

Make sure that left side indicator has a good bulb in it and is grounded to the dash. If all is ok, it has to be a problem with the turn signal switch.

The switch is hooking either of those dash indicators to the "pilot" terminal on the flasher, depending on which side you turn on.

Put another way, the power source for both dash indicators is the "pilot" terminal, and the only thing in-between is the switch.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 364nailhead said:

Update:

Three new flashers. This last one I've put in, lights the right side indicator but not the left. The turn signal lights both front and rear work fine. I don't know where to go from here.

Yeh, me too.  However my left side flashes once, then quits.  Everything else works well.  I however am using a used flasher switch unit.  in order to make it work this well, I soaked the switch unit in warm water with a tablespoon of ascorbic acid powder(vitamin C) for 24 hours, then blow dried the unit (reduces the electrolysis buildup inside).

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Update:

Okey, I'm going to tell you right off the bat I have no clue what's going on with this turn signal switch. But, I think I found the culprit. Circled in the pic, that little do dad is not making contact with the triangle shaped copper piece inside the switch. I think? Squeezed it down with a pair of needle nose cause it had some play in it. The "LI" prong is across from it. The "RI" is right across from the "Pilot" wire. Anyway both turn signal indicator lights work on the instrument panel now. Yah!!! Thanks Bloo and others for help!

IMG_20211111_182610096~3.jpg

• Like 1