Model A Ford Open Car or Truck

pkhammer

Please let me know of any Model A Ford open cars or trucks (Roadster/Phaeton/Cabriolet) that are for sale in the eastern/mid-atlantic region (Virginia-Maryland-Pennsylvania-West Va-North Carolina). May consider other makes late 20s-early 30s.

-I'm NOT looking for a restoration project

-I'm NOT looking for a restored car

-I AM looking for a driver or older restoration or maybe a car that hasn't run for awhile that maybe needs a little TLC to get into driver condition. If the paint is worn and faded or the interior is a little ratty that's just fine, I intend to drive it!! Also always looking for Model A parts collections.

-Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks for sending the link, I appreciate it! Biggest hurdle with this is distance. 

I found a '30 Roadster about 4 1/2 hours from me that looked promising but all I could get from the owner was a handful of photos. I asked a number of questions and only got some vague answers and "well you just need to come and look at it". If a seller wants to sell a car is it too much to ask to answer a few simple questions before I make a 9 hour round trip? Then I found out the car's "clear title" was still in the name of the former and now deceased owner and the current owner is not willing to have the title put in his name.

Oh well.......

That sounds interesting! Unfortunately I didn't get away from my spaces too much. We got over to the green field to visit with a friend some Friday and walked most of the car corral but that was about it except for going up to the showers a couple of evenings which took me through part of the red field.

On 10/15/2021 at 10:15 AM, pkhammer said:

"well you just need to come and look at it".

I totally agree with this if you are at all skeptical.

I don't much care to be the guy that unintentionally forgets to mention something, then get chastised for it.

You might just find that it was worth the trip.

Trust your own eyes better than any others.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

I totally agree with this if you are at all skeptical.

I don't much care to be the guy that unintentionally forgets to mention something, then get chastised for it.

You might just find that it was worth the trip.

Trust your own eyes better than any others.

I agree except the seller is a 9 hour round trip away from me, was not wiling to answer even simple questions or send additional photos AND there was a title issue. I was way beyond skeptical because he would basically tell me nothing about the car. I'm not going to make the drive with virtually no information. I don't need to waste my time that badly, there are too many other good cars out there to consider.

19 hours ago, pkhammer said:

I don't need to waste my time 

We have totally different views of "road trips"

To me its an adventure, to you its a waste of time.

Don't take that wrong, we all have different ideas of what is fun.

The title issue is certainly something to consider and I don't know the laws where you are. But if the dead guy signed the title it would not be an issue here.

If he didn't sign then a death certificate and power of attorney come into play. If the guy is sketchy about that over the phone then you might be right to pass.

Texts and emails don't count like a phone conversation does. If I supply my phone number and don't get a call I surmise that the supposed buyer is not real and just wasting my efforts to sell.

I have a guy interested in an old Chrysler right now and situation is similar. He wants to negotiate without even seeing the car.

I will not go into negotiations via texts or emails farther than a brief description. The buyer needs to make a little effort if he is truly a buyer.

Lots of sellers out there think the same, COME AND TAKE A LOOK !!  You may be surprised, or you may confirm your suspicions.

If nothing else you might have a fun road trip.

Bring the trailer and the money, If this is not the car you want you may spot something else along the way. (yard sales, etc.)

Just my opinion, lest I rant.

Well to start off with I didn't try to negotiate without seeing the car in person. We didn't discuss price at all (he had posted his price), I just wanted some information about condition. I also would've been happy to take a road trip, I love to take road trips! As I stated above however I do not have the free time to just take off at the drop of a hat. All the seller had to do was take a tiny little bit of time to answer a few questions and he was unwilling to even do that. On top of that the title had NOT BEEN SIGNED by the previous owner and there was no offer of a death certificate or any mention of a power of attorney being involved. He stated the title was still in the previous deceased owners name, was unsigned and that's the way it would come with the car.

-The seller did not offer any description beyond that it was an older restoration in driver condition.

-The seller did not offer any help to straighten out the title issue, as a matter of fact his attitude was basically "take it or leave it".

-Had he even made any effort at all to be helpful I would've already had made the trip to check it out. To even suggest that I should've hooked up the trailer and made a long drive (two states away) to see a pig in a poke I find astonishing. Maybe if I had lots of spare time on my hands and plenty of surplus cash to burn.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to @jpage I purchased a late '31 Model A roadster today and am very pleased with the purchase! He sent me a tip alerting me to this roadster.

The owner was a pleasure to deal with and was more than happy to send all the photos I wanted and more. He described the car honestly and accurately. I was happy to take the Wife today and make a 12+ hour round trip to go check it out in person (thru the wind and snow squalls around Altoona, Pa!) and ended up bringing the car home to Va.

Buyer is happy. Seller is happy. Wife is happy. Had a safe road trip. A good day!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Thanks to @jpage I purchased a late '31 Model A roadster today and am very pleased with the purchase! He sent me a tip alerting me to this roadster.

The owner was a pleasure to deal with and was more than happy to send all the photos I wanted and more. He described the car honestly and accurately. I was happy to take the Wife today and make a 12+ hour round trip to go check it out in person (thru the wind and snow squalls around Altoona, Pa!) and ended up bringing the car home to Va.

Buyer is happy. Seller is happy. Wife is happy. Had a safe road trip. A good day!

.......and I will tell you that Greg's patience paid off, he was gracious enough to stop and say hi to me on the way back from Altoona, I got to see it and can tell you the car he bought is a winner.....old restoration but solid as a rock and in great condition, and bought for what I'm sure is a very fair price.

His method of acquisition worked well for him.  Let people know what you're looking for, have patience, and the correct car will appear.  That is one nice Model A he brought home.....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, trimacar said:

His method of acquisition worked well for him.  Let people know what you're looking for, have patience, and the correct car will appear.  That is one nice Model A he brought home.....

We could all learn a lot from this statement.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/11/2021 at 3:29 PM, pkhammer said:

Please let me know of any Model A Ford open cars or trucks (Roadster/Phaeton/Cabriolet) that are for sale in the eastern/mid-atlantic region (Virginia-Maryland-Pennsylvania-West Va-North Carolina). May consider other makes late 20s-early 30s.

-I'm NOT looking for a restoration project

-I'm NOT looking for a restored car

-I AM looking for a driver or older restoration or maybe a car that hasn't run for awhile that maybe needs a little TLC to get into driver condition. If the paint is worn and faded or the interior is a little ratty that's just fine, I intend to drive it!! Also always looking for Model A parts collections.

-Thanks!