Two 1959 Chevrolet Impalas on eBay (separate auctions): Wagon and Convertible, Not Mine.

I'm posting these two cars on eBay mostly because I'm amazed at how high they have been bid up to. It's not uncommon to see unrealistic asking prices, but to see people actually willing to pay high amounts (for what these cars are) is notable. Yes, they're both 348 cars, which probably makes a difference, but the wagon doesn't even have it's original motor anymore (currently a sbc.) I'm interested in your opinions as to why they've been bid so high. I could be missing something.

1959 Chevrolet Impala | eBay

1959 Chevrolet Impala | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Wagons have a low survival rate, and if it is truly rust free, whomever buys it probably plans to put a big block in it and hot rod it.

The convertible has a buy-it-now price of $205,000.  The high bid is $155,000 and the "winner" will probably be a fictitious person.

• Like 7

The convertible has ended: no sale, reserve not met...at over 155,000 bucks. I count five distinct bidders over $100,000.

Maybe even more amazing is that the wagon has started moving up again - to over $37k - with 5 hours left on the auction. I know nothing about high end restorations, so maybe the convertible is worth it, but a patina level wagon without even it's original engine? The ad even resorts to the typical project level photographic trick of spraying the car down with water.

Make no mistake, however, I'm not faulting the sellers in any way. If the bids are genuine, and who knows...they might be, these auctions are extraordinary. Some folks have a really bad case of Chevy fever. I love ALL old cars, no exceptions, but when I was a Chevy guy as a kid I considered the '59 the least attractive Chevy of all time. They are somewhat outrageous looking, so maybe that's the appeal. 

• 1 month later...

I own two 59 Convertibles with 348's and every option available in 59. Its also my favorite year. But I will tell you i would never pay over $85,000 for any Impala I don't car how nice they are. 

BTW Red in my opinion was the worst color also the most common color for 59's. 

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_4220.jpg

DD65304A-C794-48D9-ADCE-A2377B3215B3.JPG

Edited by ary1979 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ary1979 said:

I own two 59 Convertibles with 348's and every option available in 59. Its also my favorite year. But I will tell you i would never pay over $85,000 for any Impala I don't car how nice they are. 

BTW Red in my opinion was the worst color also the most common color for 59's. 

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_4220.jpg

DD65304A-C794-48D9-ADCE-A2377B3215B3.JPG

Where did you get the beige one? I knew of one in a pole barn with 7,xxx actual miles. Six stick. It got sold at an auction.

And now, not being a wiseguy, but with your statement about not paying over $85,000 for any Impala, would you sell one of yours for $85K? Asking for a friend. Just FYI, there are a handful of Impalas that IF one could buy them, would make the $155,000 bid look cheap.

I was involved in a 1968 Biscayne sale several years ago that went for $140,000.

• Like 1

Beautiful cars, ary1979. Thanks for the photos. It's nice to hear that even '59 Chevy guys think that's too much money. Late '50's cars are very dramatic looking, and I understand why they are popular, but people shouldn't be willing to pay any price for a nice old car.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Where did you get the beige one? I knew of one in a pole barn with 7,xxx actual miles. Six stick. It got sold at an auction.

And now, not being a wiseguy, but with your statement about not paying over $85,000 for any Impala, would you sell one of yours for $85K? Asking for a friend. Just FYI, there are a handful of Impalas that IF one could buy them, would make the $155,000 bid look cheap.

I was involved in a 1968 Biscayne sale several years ago that went for $140,000.

The beige 59 came from an estate sale from original owners wife. The original owner’s parents bought the car for him in 1959 when he was 16-years-old. He later sold the car in 1960’s when he enrolled in the military. In the 1980’s he decided he wanted to buy his car back, so he hired a detective to locate the vehicle which he found in a junk yard. He purchased the car back and had it fully restored. Below is a photo of him in 1959 and in 1984 after the car got restored.

And about selling the cars I would never. I fell in love with 59 Impala’s on the mid 1990’s and it took me many years to find these two cars so they stay with me for good.

D982D752-B047-4D0E-AE2A-9857414044A4.jpeg

• Like 2