1941 Buick barn find

Eric Erb

On 10/5/2021 at 6:05 PM, SC38dls said:

Welcome, don’t try to start it!  You want to try and see if the engine is free or stuck before you do anything. Take the spark plugs out but number the wires so you know where they go first. Then try to move the engine by turning the lower pulley connected to the crank shaft. You may want to put some oil in each spark plug hole - very small amount. If it’s free then you are ahead of the game. If stuck you will need to do more to it to try and get it free. Others that know more will chime in soon. Just wanted to be sure you don’t try to start it with out oil or miracle oil or some other things in the cylinders. 
dave s 

Dave, any advice on where that lower pulley is?  and how to get to it?  is it below the fan?  it's pretty tight against the radiator in there, and there's a metal plate on the bottom of the engine compartment...

On 10/18/2021 at 7:30 AM, Joe Cocuzza said:

There's Hibernia Restorations in Rockaway N.J.

Mind you, if you do bring your car to a shop like this, IF they can fit it in, the cost is going to be up there.

I used to live in South Orange and Union NJ and it has been a loooong time since then so I don't know of any places presently that would/could work on your car. I now live about an hour from Union, NJ

I don't have much time with work/my own car(s), but I'd gladly give you a hand. If you need any help/advice give me a shout. I may be able to 

help - a little......

Joe

Thank much Joe.  The car is in Scotch Plains, I am in Toms River.  i'm up maybe three times a month or so.  Where are you?

The lower pulley will be below the fan pulley and doesn’t have anything attached to it. It is attached to the crankshaft inside the engine. By taking the spark plugs out you will not have any compression holding the pistons back. There is usually a large nut you may be able to get a socket on and a breaker bar to see if the engine is free. Just don’t mess up the radiator trying. I’m sure guys with a lot more experience will give you advice and ways to check if it’s free if you can’t get it checked this way. Good luck. 
dave s 

I did not reread the whole thread so this may repeat.

A trick for seeing if an engine will turn.

Air up the tires, take the spark plugs out and put some oil in the cylinders.

Then put it in high gear and get a couple of buddies to help you push it while you are looking at the fan.

Doing this with a tow chain or the likes could result in bent rods depending on how much traction there is and if the pistons are rusted up. But I have done it that way.

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2021 at 8:01 PM, SC38dls said:

The lower pulley will be below the fan pulley and doesn’t have anything attached to it. It is attached to the crankshaft inside the engine. By taking the spark plugs out you will not have any compression holding the pistons back. There is usually a large nut you may be able to get a socket on and a breaker bar to see if the engine is free. Just don’t mess up the radiator trying. I’m sure guys with a lot more experience will give you advice and ways to check if it’s free if you can’t get it checked this way. Good luck. 
dave s 

Thanks Dave.  It’s really tight down there maybe an inch or so between the lower pulley and the radiator.  When I turn the fan, it slips in the belt.  Any idea how big that nut is?  Would removing the radiator for access be more trouble than it’s worth?

image.jpg

Edited by Eric Erb
Additional question (see edit history)

Eric, I would ask a Buick guy the size and the best way to access. My guess is the socket needs to go on then insert the breaker bar or have socket straight on breaker then once down there there may be enough room to move socket to the 90 degree position. You have to either know size or do a trial & error method. The fan turns as the water pump/fan are free wheeling as the tension on belt drives it. Have you tried putting any marvel mystery oil or anything like that in the cylinders to soak? 
Have you gone to the Buick forum? It’s below the general forum on the home page. 
dave s 

If you are going to try to turn the engine over using a socket/breaker bar on the crank nut it would be in your best interest to remove the radiator/fan/pulley. That will give you the room you need to get the socket on the nut AND it will avoid damaging those parts while trying to turn the engine over. Besides, you will probably want to bring the radiator to a shop to have it boiled out and checked for leaks.

• Like 1

If I was going to do this I would remove the valve cover and put penetrating oil on each valve stem before turning it over. I would make sure each valve is free. I have had better luck removing the starter and using a pry bar on the ring gear teeth to see if there is any movement. 

Before running, unless you know it is clean, I would remove the oil pan and clean it and the oil pump screen.

The carbs and fuel pump should be gone through as the rubber is old and likely to leak. You can use a remote fuel tank, think boat or mower, but the vehicle tank will need to be cleaned up before using. 

Sorry if any if this is a repeat.

Dave

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone.   Thank you all for your warm welcome and all of your help and advice.  My mother got an offer and will be selling the car.  $4500.  I did not speak to the buyer but i'm told he's interested in restoring and keeping the car.  It will be better hands than mine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric Erb said:

Hello everyone.   Thank you all for your warm welcome and all of your help and advice.  My mother got an offer and will be selling the car.  $4500.  I did not speak to the buyer but i'm told he's interested in restoring and keeping the car.  It will be better hands than mine.

I would have bought it, too.

Oh well !!!!!!

3 hours ago, Eric Erb said:

$4500? In that original condition? Hate to say it she got taken. 

3 hours ago, MarkV said:

$4500? In that original condition? Hate to say it she got taken. 

My thoughts, too.

As far as the buyer saying he wants to keep and restore the car - I have heard that line before. Maybe it's true but......

I hope we don't see this one on here (or somewhere else) in the very, very near future with an inflated asking price.

That ever growing trend just bothers me.

If I had known they were going to sell it I would have bought it - no hesitation - for more $$$ if necessary

5 minutes ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

My thoughts, too.

As far as the buyer saying he wants to keep and restore the car - I have heard that line before. Maybe it's true but......

I hope we don't see this one on here (or somewhere else) in the very, very near future with an inflated asking price.

That ever growing trend just bothers me.

If I had known they were going to sell it I would have bought it - no hesitation - for more $$$ if necessary

No it will be a flipper who will get it going and polish it up and sell it as a ‘barn find’ for $16,995

On 10/18/2021 at 6:38 AM, Eric Erb said:

Thanks for the tips and checklist!  
and thanks for sharing your car, it looks great!

the car is in union county, nj

You're pretty close to me. I'm no expert, but I'd love to see it.