For Sale: 1948 Lincoln Continental - Blue, "Come take a look" - Napanoch, NY - Not Mine

For sale on Craigslist:  1948 Lincoln Continental in Napanoch, NY  -  $18,000  -  Call or text Neil: 845 389 51 six zero

Link: https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/wawarsing-1948-lincoln-continental/7389052617.html

Seller's Description:

1948 Lincoln Continental

• condition: good
  • odometer: 80,000
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: manual
  • paint color: blue
  • title status: clean

1948 Lincoln Continental  -  Runs and drives  -  3-speed on the column  -  Come take a look at it  -  NO lowballing.

image.png.461fb4106f235a65ae44973afce28020.png

image.png.d1343c72433785bfb517f17d031e90f3.png

image.png.4c91fa34a698678af6b74a73ce696ebf.png

image.png.7baa82dc2203014f022205e487618f74.png

image.png.aaa2bc6822deb4a7b1838992fc36e459.png

image.png.c831997b1df46d11e5749486fdda0623.png

image.png.e9380abe790cccac2f5f39c493d3ea63.png

I don't know why I always feel myself drawn to this era Lincoln. I think the grill stying is magnificent but the car gives the impression it was designed by 3 different people. Front body, mid section, rear body, and then all hooked together.

Ok,so I’m a child of the 60/70’s and I must say the 40’s cars escape me, but this one in particulars styling …. it breathtaking ugly car….but that makes it so interesting….hard to look away….Lol

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I don't know why I always feel myself drawn to this era Lincoln. I think the grill stying is magnificent but the car gives the impression it was designed by 3 different people. Front body, mid section, rear body, and then all hooked together.

You're impression of the mish-mash of styling is correct.   Although it was E.T. Gregorie and his small styling department under Edsel Ford that created Ford Motor Company styling from the early 1930's through the immediate postwar years, they were responding to the major change in styling theme lead by the 1941 Cadillac.   The prow-fronted, low-grilled 1938 Lincoln-Zephyr had lead and influenced styling throughout the industry.  It was a clean, lithe ethic with delicate trim, the 1940 Lincoln-Zephyr and Continental were designed with that ethic. 

But, Harley Earl had been building the GM Art and Color into the industry leading styling powerhouse, wasn't about to allow that upstart Lincoln-Zephyr to take the lead for long.  Along comes the elegant, Streamline Moderne 1941 Cadillac design with its broad, blunt front and heavy, cast jewelry trim.  His idea was a car should be entertaining to the eye as one walked around it: wind-splits, crests, rich details everywhere one looked.  The change took hold for 1941 across all GM nameplates.  

Whatever GM presented, the industry took notice and emulated it.  Gregorie and Edsel Ford immediately responded with the restyled 1942 cars, all with an interpretation of the new styling direction.  The dramatic change shows most in the 1941 and 1942 Lincolns, they look like they're from different planets.   The Lincoln-Zephyr had just received a new body for 1940 and within Ford Motor Company, Lincoln was Edsel Ford's baby, largely peripheral to business which was all about Ford cars and trucks.    When Edsel died in 1943, Lincoln was adrift without its champion.  Only E.T. Gregorie was left to carry the Lincoln flag, though as a stylist, his influence was minimal.   Although he and the styling department had developed Lincolns for follow-up the 1940 model bodies, the critical situation that Ford Motor Company was in became acute.   The best he could do for the 1946-'48 models was to apply the heavy, chrome die-cast grille and trim to the hold-over 1940 bodied designed with the prior theme in mind. 

Make an astute observation...get a dissertation. 

• Like 3

The '42-48 Continentals don't measure up to the spectacular '40-41 models, but they're still striking cars, available at very reasonable prices. And why I've watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane more than once.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Make an astute observation...get a dissertation. 

Did you post this same thing in another Continental thread?  I'm having an intense feeling of déjà vu.  In any event, I agree completely with all your comments.  A ground-breaking original and stunning design from 1939 completely ruined by a ham-handed attempt to "update" it to conform to later trends.

1 hour ago, neil morse said:

Did you post this same thing in another Continental thread?  I'm having an intense feeling of déjà vu.  In any event, I agree completely with all your comments.  A ground-breaking original and stunning design from 1939 completely ruined by a ham-handed attempt to "update" it to conform to later trends.

Yes, For the most part, the Lincoln Continental saga is an interesting case study in the internal dynamics and personalities within the company and its place and affect on the larger industry and vice-versa.   It does not seem to be well understood by the collector car world.  And because I like to write my perspectives and apparently some like to read them, this forum is a good place to let the dissertations fly!

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, suchan said:

The '42-48 Continentals don't measure up to the spectacular '40-41 models, but they're still striking cars, available at very reasonable prices. And why I've watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane more than once.

And I thought I was the only one! 📺

• Haha 1

On 10/4/2021 at 2:53 PM, bryankazmer said:

"8 cylinders"?

Craigslist standardized box checking. 

This car is nice enough that it likely has the correct H-V12.  

However as an FYI a Ford flathead V-8 from the same era is a 100% bolt in and was a common replacement when Zephyrs were 3-10 years old.

After the war the overhead V-8s appeared in the wrecking yards and they began to be installed (but not as easily) 

• Like 1