remove front brake drums

cquisuila

• 2 years later...

Hello Everyone, I have a 64 Riviera and have questions...to remove the aluminum front drums, is it necessary to rotate the star wheel at the back bottom of the drum? Or can the drum be removed by just by removing the dust cap, cotter pin, and castle nut? 

I did try rotating the star wheel, and it seemed to rotate initially, but I got to a point where it isn't rotating. 

If the front drum stucks at the edges of the brake liners, it is required to rotate the star wheel from the back of the anchor plate.  

If the thread is corroded, that can be a challenge.  My advise: Get a shop manual asap. 

The front drum and hub come off as an assembly.  Remove the dust cap and the spindle nut.  Catch the washer and outer bearing when they pop loose as the drum starts to come off.  Once the brake shoes get past the ridge on the drum surface you should be able to pull the entire drum with the hub, inner bearing and grease seal from the spindle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Make life simple. Go by NAPA and pick one of these up for $3.50. But first buy yourself Chassis Service Manual

image.png.c8e0ac7a3518a38e29873932e080e613.png

I have both...as I mentioned, I did try rotating the star wheel, and it seemed to rotate initially, but I got to a point where it isn't rotating.

Posted (edited)

perhap, if rust has settled inside (car immobilized) it can remain stuck...

apply a spray of rust-removing product between the drum and the shoes , and leave to act

then tap with a hammer around gently🙂

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)

11 hours ago, atencioee said:

...but I got to a point where it isn't rotating.

If the drum won't spin (i.e., locked) you went the wrong way with the adjuster.  If the drum spins, you probably reached the end of the adjuster travel.  If that's the case, the ridge on the drum may still be catching on the edge of the shoe.  If you remove the spindle nut and outer bearing you should be able to work the drum off by wiggling the drum and twisting it CCW as you pull it toward you.  Worst case scenario if that doesn't work, you can chisel the heads off of the pins that hold the shoes to the backing plate (refer to the figure above and look on the back side of the backing plate).  That should allow the shoes to move enough to get the drum off.

• Like 1

The adjusters are right and left handed threads. The motion with the tool to relieve some tension is from bottom of backing plate towards top. The actuator stops the starwheel from getting backed off unless it's pushed out of the way with a second tool. Refer to old Germans pictures from the manual. 

I wouldn't spray any type of penetrating oils that would contaminate the shoes unless you plan on replacing them. 

Worst case scenario is grind off the heads as EmTee says, but that shouldn't be necessary on a running driving car

Edited by gungeey (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, gungeey said:

I wouldn't spray any type of penetrating oils that would contaminate the shoes unless you plan on replacing them.

a little...not liters....and you clean right after unlocking !

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

If the drum won't spin (i.e., locked) you went the wrong way with the adjuster.  If the drum spins, you probably reached the end of the adjuster travel.  If that's the case, the ridge on the drum may still be catching on the edge of the shoe.  If you remove the spindle nut and outer bearing you should be able to work the drum off by wiggling the drum and twisting it CCW as you pull it toward you.  Worst case scenario if that doesn't work, you can chisel the heads off of the pins that hold the shoes to the backing plate (refer to the figure above and look on the back side of the backing plate).  That should allow the shoes to move enough to get the drum off.

The drum spins freely. I've yet to remove the dust cap, spindle nut, and outer bearing... I'll do that next.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, atencioee said:

The drum spins freely. I've yet to remove the dust cap, spindle nut, and outer bearing... I'll do that next.

It will do it , courage !!🙂

• Like 1