Source for 1933 Cadillac service manual & other literature

Str8-8-Dave

Hello to all;  I'm considering buying a 1933 Cadillac V12 car of some sort.  Any opinions about what to look for, what I might be getting into please comment- this would be new territory for me.

Also, for Buick, the BHA has tons of literature including service manuals, advertising literature, etc.  Is there a source like that for Cadillac cars?  One item I would consider buying as part of my investigation on whether or not to get involved with a car like this is a shop manual.

Nickel for everyone's thoughts...

Dave

I owned a 1932 Cad V-12 which came with an original shop manual and a reproduction owners manual, you will need both of those at a minimum. The V-12 is a complicated engine compared to the V-8 with major challenges in the areas of carburetion and ignition which I kind of navigated years ago. The shop manual was useful but the big difference from newer car manuals is that it was written for Cadillac dealer service men and assumes a great deal of knowledge that is just not included in the manual. If you have not already done so join the Cadillac-LaSalle club and get on their forum, between that and the AACA forum I developed a small network of experts that were very helpful in solving problems. Good luck!

DSCF1704.JPG

DSCF1705.JPG

DSCF1706.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips guys...

I know the  12 is more complicated because of not only the extra cylinders but the fact is is valve in head VS V8 flathead.  I spent a lot of time with Buick's Marvel heat system to get it to work reasonably well, I'm sure a pair of Detroit Lubricator carbs will be a new challenge as will the 12 cylinder distributor.  

Again- thanks for the tips!

You can usually find the manuals on ePay. There is a couple listed now and as mentioned, they can be somewhat vague in descriptions.  Also the Authenticity Manual from the Cadillac-LaSalle Club will be a great help.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402300540726?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183986158177?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

21 hours ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

I know the  12 is more complicated because of not only the extra cylinders but the fact is is valve in head VS V8 flathead.  I spent a lot of time with Buick's Marvel heat system to get it to work reasonably well, I'm sure a pair of Detroit Lubricator carbs will be a new challenge as will the 12 cylinder distributor.  

The one advantage you have today that I did not have is that new reproduction DL carbs are available for the engine.

On 9/16/2021 at 1:39 PM, Str8-8-Dave said:

The original Detroit Lubricators are excellent carburetors; both efficient and reliable after being professionally restored. However, generally having a machine shop at your disposal when doing a rebuild after 80 years doesn't hurt.

If you can make the Marvel think it is a carburetor, you should be able to have the Detroits decode the Rosetta Stone. ;)

Jon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Any V-12 Cadillac is a difficult and expensive car to deal with. In 1933 problems are fewer than 1931, but it will eat you alive fixing it. If you are going to take the headache......get a 16..........at today’s adjusted prices they are not that much more money. 

• Like 2