ROAD TRIP! (Pontiac Flathead Reunion)

Bloo

Like multiple others I thank you for posting.  You have a unique photographic ability that makes us want to see more.  I am especially fond of this thread as my first antique was a 34 Pontiac Cabriolet which I still have...It's last tour was the 34th Glidden and was replaced by a 41 Cadillac that I have toured with ever since.  I apologize for the photo quality.  Taken by my friend with his Instamatic in 79.  How many of you are old enough to remember the Kodak Instamatic?

20210808_154852.jpg

• Like 5

On 2/16/2022 at 6:43 PM, Robert G. Smits said:

Like multiple others I thank you for posting.  You have a unique photographic ability that makes us want to see more.  I am especially fond of this thread as my first antique was a 34 Pontiac Cabriolet which I still have...It's last tour was the 34th Glidden and was replaced by a 41 Cadillac that I have toured with ever since.  I apologize for the photo quality.  Taken by my friend with his Instamatic in 79.  How many of you are old enough to remember the Kodak Instamatic?

Thank you. Nice Pontiac!

I remember instamatics. I had one, but by that time I was already very interested in old things and was using a Brownie 620 box camera instead, at least in the daytime when I didn't need a flash. I still have the Brownie, although I doubt you can buy 620 film anymore. I haven't tried in years. I don't think I have an instamatic anymore. Mine took 126 cartridges and flashcubes, and I imagine you can't buy any of that either....

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

I left Waterville via the Waterville South Road and a couple other county roads I don't know the names of. Next stop Alstown, WA.

EFSLPwy.jpg

Not much goes on in Alstown....

znJOqeC.jpg

UOrSvsb.jpg

Not quite a ghost town I guess. It looks like someone is probably living in the white house, and someone else on a lot up above the road with a big fancy RV. Alstown's main claim to fame is a grain elevator.

GF1UcXG.jpg

I then headed back to Waterville

ahE9JtY.jpg

Heading out of Waterville on Highway 2:

s2yxuNk.jpg

Highway 2 curves off to the right. The road that appears to go straight is the old highway, that is no longer passable. Out in the middle of the wye in that dark clump of trees is an abandoned house that used to be quite an eye teaser because you just couldn't quite make sense of how it must have been laid out inside.

At the far right, over to the right side of the highway is this:

ppbazeR.jpg

Long ago I asked someone at the museum in Waterville about Dr. Pierce. Despite the fact that Waterville is still home to descendants of several of the original families, no one seems to know who Dr. Pierce was. Adjacent to the old highway is another one.

LBEBKlZ.jpg

"For your kidneys Dr. Pierces ANURIC".

Dr. Pierce really got around. When Washington State had it's centennial (1989) there was a lot of historic preservation going on in the area. These signs were restored at that time.

Down the old highway a patch is that abandoned house I mentioned. I didn't take a picture this time but have one from about 3 years ago. Since part of it collapsed it looks less remarkable than it used to.

ui3iZ4o.jpg

That's the current Highway 2 running behind the house, and from these pictures you would probably think the plains go on forever. Nope. In fact, in another couple miles it all ends and Highway 2 heads down a steep hillside in Pine Canyon, and continues to the Columbia River at Orondo. The old highway had some really wild switchbacks as it climbed the side of the canyon. A sports car club used to hold hillclimbs on the old upper section in the early 70s. When I took the picture of the house about 3 years ago I also got a picture of the old finish line at the top.

6qDzO2A.jpg

Back in the present, I headed down Pine Canyon via Highway 2  toward Orondo. This turnoff lead to the section of the old road with the switchbacks when it was passable. Unfortunately one or two of them have collapsed and you can't get through anymore.

vAnmT03.jpg

A little further down the canyon is this rock the Waterville kids have been painting their graduation year on for probably close to 100 years. It shows up like crazy in real life, and not at all in this picture. It is not an easy spot to access. This view is looking back toward Waterville.

ZwL6fBK.jpg

Bottom of the canyon looking back up Highway 2 toward Waterville:

zIw7gNn.jpg

This brings us to Orondo, WA on the Columbia river. There isn't much in the way of old buildings here or any sort of old downtown. The river had been raised more than once when dams were built, and several river towns had to move to higher ground and rebuild from scratch. I don't know if that applies to Orondo or not, but it probably does.

Here's an internet picture of the long closed Lois's Drive In, with the church in the background:

hobH5FR.jpg

Heading on down Highway 2 toward Wenatchee there is a huge old 1920s(?) spanish style house right down on the water. Was it just by chance high enough when they raised the river or did they jack it up somehow and build up the land underneath? I don't know, but it is a fairly remarkable looking place. This picture, taken looking back toward Orondo, does not do it justice.

TQAta4p.jpg

Turtle Rock, an Island in the middle of the Columbia river, seen in a blurry internet photo:

cljsZeV.jpg

And since my photo didn't turn out, another one from the Internet brings us back to Wenatchee again.

e8IyCEp.png

For what it's worth, I had the charging system voltmeter hooked up for most of this trip, and the charging system is working fine now. It can't quite keep up with current production 32/50 candlepower bulbs on "Country Beam" with both 50 candlepower bulbs burning at highway speed, but that was more or less expected. The original bulbs supplied by Pontiac were 21/32 candlepower.

The Next day I got the Pontiac put away for the winter, and the day after that we got several inches of snow. A couple weeks later there was nearly 3 feet of it in my yard.

Thanks to everyone that came along on this ride. I am glad you enjoyed it. I hope all of you have a great season of road trips, tours, shows, cruise-ins or whatever it is you enjoy doing with your antiques in 2022.

--bloo

skYIySg.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Bloo, you have done the hobby a wonderful service with your many pictures and descriptions of the places you traveled and visited. For those that do not know, John and I went to school together from junior high on and are still good friends in the same town. I can not say enough good things about his passion for all things old and classic.  I am very happy to call him a friend and always am surprised at his knowledge of the ways things were done in the past. The amazing thing is that he honestly enjoys all of these things with the exception of the deer at night....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Great story and pictures.  :)

If you wanted to try your Brownie again, 120 size film is readily available.  620 was Kodak's version of 120 and is the same film, just on lightly thinner/narrower spools.  Some cameras can use either, and if not, it is pretty easly to respool 120 onto old 620 spools.  It does have to be done in the dark however.

• Like 1

It just occurred to me as I was enjoying the last installment that I would love to see this thread (both the pictures and descriptive text) published in a large format hardcover book (aka "coffee table book").  If that ever happens I'll buy the first copy!  ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1