NOS Battery

Snakeoil

An 82 year old friend of mine still runs a shop and back in a dark corner there is a NOS 6V battery. It is still in the box and the hard rubber case is actually shiny. It was dry charged from the factory and never had electrolyte put into it. He cannot remember what it was for. His shop was primarily a motorcycle shop. But he also had an equipment rental business and did equipment repairs. Had an automatic transmission shop in the same building at one time as well. He thinks it might be for a 50's Buick that his father drove. 

Is there any value to this battery? I know it's a stretch, but can anyone ID the application? We know it is not an equipment battery. It's for a car.  Pics I took when we found it.

20210617_150234.jpg

20210617_150239.jpg

Probably has value as a display item in a Gas station or vintage garage recreation. Plenty of collectors would be interested.

Looks about the size of a Small tractor battery , or lower price cars , Chevy , Ford , Plymouth.

The dimensions would give you the Group number in an old catalog, then you could check applications by group. Is there a group number in the case on the sides , near bottom?

Neat find

Edited by roysboystoys (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking one of those old British cars (MGA?) that had a 12 volt system with 2 tiny 6 volt batteries, one on each side of the car for better weight distribution. I imagine if that was it you should have found 2 of them.

33 minutes ago, Snakeoil said:

Battery measures 7x7x10H

Do the numbers stamped in the lead cell connector straps not have any significance?

I think the stamped numbers are date codes

I think that might be a small tractor or equipment battery, such as a yard tractor.

Possibly used in pairs for 12 volts?

I can't remember working on anything that had a square battery. Rectangle ones are the general rule. It would be interesting to know its original application. Dandy Dave!