1959 Jaguar XK150S Roadster Rust Free

Last night on my phone I read this wrong and got hyperventilated.  The starting bid is 89,500 not the asking price.    Given my non professional observations on the 150 "S" market I would feel that 90k for this car is a pretty decent deal.   I have never driven a 150, let alone sat in one, but I have a lot of experience with the 140.   These are GREAT cars.  And at least in the 1950s,  would beat the crap out of any American sports car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194148850784

Hilltop Auto presents stock #343 this 1959 XK150S 3.4 roadster. The car runs and drives and has super dry body.  We can't find any rust on it.   Please contact us for more details.  We are a licensed dealer located in Hanover, Massachusetts, USA.  We ship worldwide and have exported over 300 cars around the world so we can assist a buyer with locating a shipping company if needed.  Call or WhatsApp Ray Crook +1 617-838-3728 or Dan Crook +1 781-630-0185. 

59Jag-150S.jpg

• Like 2

These cars have gone up in value big time. The price for project cars is nuts. Junk Roadsters on the market for 35-50k. Glad I still have my 120, stepping into these cars is getting out of reach for most people. Look at the early Mercedes cars, the Jags are following that same increase in value.

• Like 2

They are good looking cars, beautiful styling and design. Mine was involved in a very bad accident in the shop. Do not like to talk about it. The car was dropped, and broke into four pieces. Trying to glue it back together. Be careful with yours alsancle, do not drop them, they will break. And it is a lot of work to try and fix them.;)

54 jag 002.jpg

jag and ford truck 019.JPG

Amelia Island 010.jpg

Amelia Island 033.jpg

Amelia Island 025.jpg

• Like 2

Again............ I do not like to talk about it. Just doing my best to fix what happened. Beer might have been involved? Not sure? They are custom made Dayton wire wheels. 17in on the front, and 18in on the back. Can tell you a story about the wheels, local tire store and how that was used to hassle a business.(mine) 

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Let me add to my post that Dayton did a quality job with the wheels. They wanted them shipped back with the tires on them. Question is, were they ever sent back. The trail story with the Hudson is even better.

Dayton has done at least two sets of wheels for me that I can remember.   The first time the shipping boxes touched the paint before it was dry and I had to send them back.  They redid them and I've had really good luck with those guys.   I hope they are in business for as long as I own cars.

Our 140 has XKE wheels on it (cause the old man LOVES chrome).  But I have the original wheels in the shed.

• Like 1

Dayton did a great job on these wheels. Worked with a guy over the phone, back and forth. Came up with what had to be done to make it work. Rim size, diameter number of spokes. Great product, problem is in Idaho. And when your business is set up and targeted. Should be talked about, but I guess we all wait. For something to drag this monster of a story out. Sorry for sending your Jag post sideways.  150 is a beautiful car. I really like the 120 Roadsters, classic design. It will be nice to get back on that project. Sad to say, it will not be in Idaho.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I was never a fan of shooting brakes 

Depends on the car, does not work with that Jag. Ive seen some pretty nice Rolls, and although not a "shooting break" there was a 'kamback' Trans Am that was pretty sleek for what it was.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RansomEli said:

Interesting auction result. The eBay listing stated "needs some restoration."  Starting price was $89,000 and the listing received zero bids.

I need to see it in person but I think 89k would be an decent price for a S OTS.

I actually really like the " Foxbat " . Too bad even virtual parts car 150's are a kings ransom. Otherwise I might be tempted to build myself a replica.

The concept has got me thinking however. I have a MGA coupe shell that could possibly be modified in a similar manner. But it is probably too narrow and would need a custom windshield. 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, neil morse said:

This seems insane to me, but according to Bloomberg, this one sold 10 days ago for $127K!!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-01/this-crumpled-derelict-jaguar-sold-for-six-times-its-value

jag150.jpg.74592b1d5d9c16bbd2e89d854c0afad7.jpg

It is a drophead, not an OTS which makes it even more strange.   I can only guess that as a RHD car in Red it is a pretty rare thing.   I forget the numbers for the 150,  but there were 10 LHD XK140s built for every RHD.   The cars were intended for America.

The market is crazy at the moment. Makes my head spin. As many on here say , a pre war project  car that would have been pounced on by multiple restorers 40 years ago is probably now a parts car.  But anything interesting from the 1950's / 60's / early 70's  is worth its weight in gold.

Even the oddball / small bore cars I generally try to latch on to have shot up to unreachable prices. 

Where is all this money coming from ? Covid has done nothing but plunge my already thin retirement income even lower.