For Sale: 1936 Buick Special Model 40 sedan - $15,000 - Hartford, CT - Not Mine

For Sale: 1936 Buick Special Model 40 sedan - $15,000 - Hartford, CT

1936 Buick special model 40 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

1936 Buick special straight 8 with 3-speed transmission on the floor this car is a driver runs and drives very nice I just replaced the three-speed transmission with a rebuilt shifts perfect smokes on startup paint is original and has been cleared it has many defects but it looks good at 6 ft this is a really nice driver one hand out the window one hand on the wheel great boulevard cruiser has 2-4 50 vent window air conditioning please take a look at the pictures (please serious inquiries only)  odometer: 43000

Copy and paste in your email:   944aa294f6da39539627028a3c84e679@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1936 Buick Special Model 40 sedan.

36 Buick Special sedan CT a.jpg

36 Buick Special sedan CT b.jpg

36 Buick Special sedan CT c.jpg

36 Buick Special sedan CT d.jpg

36 Buick Special sedan CT e.jpg

36 Buick Special sedan CT f.jpg

36 Buick Special sedan CT g.jpg

36 Buick Special sedan CT h.jpg

36 Buick Special sedan CT i.jpg

• Like 4

Yep, thought the same, what a neat example of a typical mid 30s car.  A lot of us love Classics and early Fords, but what else did people drive..  Buicks seem pretty well supported which is a nice offset to my first comment.

Oh yeah 6 window sedan but not imo an ugly duckling.  Seems like a decent deal if engine isn't on its last legs.

12 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

...it has many defects but it looks good at 6 ft this is a really nice driver one hand out the window one hand on the wheel great boulevard cruiser has 2-4 50 vent window air conditioning please take a look...

If the seller learned to write, using punctuation,

what he says would be much clearer.

Is he saying the car has (after-market) air conditioning,

or that the vent windows are the "air conditioning"?

I can see why English class is very useful in school!

• Like 1

What is that upholstery, ultrasuede? Definitely not original.

OK driver. What I can see of the brightwork looks worn.

$15K is optimistic. 

Using punctuation isn't that much of a burden. Being too lazy to use it sends a message.

• Like 2

I am a little less put off by punctuation issues than a paragraph as long as the one devoted to description of the car warning buyers to BE SERIOUS - or else. 

🤔😁  

I do agree price is a bit high but it seems like you see less of these wood framed mid 30s sedans than the later ones.  I really like GM lines of the era.  Better at 11, 12k after the haggling?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I am a little less put off by punctuation issues than a paragraph as long as the one devoted to description of the car warning buyers to BE SERIOUS - or else. 

🤔😁  

I do agree price is a bit high but it seems like you see less of these wood framed mid 30s sedans than the later ones.  I really like GM lines of the era.  Better at 11, 12k after the haggling?

I've learned not to be serious about any car until I inspect it. The "serious only" comments are kind of off-putting. Doesn't seem the seller was too serious in composing the ad.

Yeah, $10-12K might be the sweet spot for this car.

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Uptowndodge said:

Gang up on the guy already 

Not this one Dodge, the standard one liner is fine, I mean the guy who uses one line on the car itself and six lines warning potential buyers...

I had a pal who had a great line at from our single days at the bars, "hi want to dance"  "no" "than what the **** are you doing here?!"  🤔😉 Same concept in a way.

But again, general comment, don't want to trash this guy or his ad.  Personally, I like this car a lot, even more at 10, 12k.  

Seller has had it out there a while.  Seems ok talking good and bad about it.  I even thought about calling him but that would mean re learning my lesson that 2 is the right number of oldies for me.  Still this looks like a fun car to me, not too nice yet not a heavy project if your goal is not high end showing.

I am surprised our many Buick folk have not weighed in on this one.  We see a lot of earlier cars, 29, 30, and then 39 on up, fewer of these years.

Hope it sells but its been out there long enough at 15k that I think market agrees it is a bit high.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hmm, the not mine section is largely focused on conversation about a given car.  Price change could be constructive info for someone interested in it. Especially since the seller didn't publish the change elsewhere.    I think, I already noted it's tempting but not for me.  If you are following it because you have interest then your welcome. 😊👍