1990 - Can someone help with details / prod. matches?

zenom73

I looked at the Reatta.net website and downloaded the excel file.  I do not see the serial number for our car listed. Curious if there is another, more up to date spreadsheet etc? 

I was also curious if the interior color was red or Burgundy.  The color looks burgundy but I don't know if it was actually considered red.   It was purchased by my mother in law, my wife now has it.  72000 miles, Michigan car.  Any info on this would be great.  From what I can tell there were approx. 247 made in white, with white top and red interior.  

When I narrow that down to white moulding it goes less than 100, when I add in CD player etc., it seemed to be about 1 in 28.  Was hoping someone could help me decipher this a little more.  Not looking to sell or anything just get more details on it.  Unfortunately my mother in law is deceased and my wife was in a bad wreck last year on a motorcycle (severe TBI so she cannot remember the details), she loves this car and I just want to know more about it for her.

1G4EC33C6LB907246 is the vin.  

Hoping someone can clarify the interior color and # produced.   

Color: White
Interior: (Looks like Garnet based on details)
Molding / Trim: White

Top: White 

CD player = yes

Casette Player = yes

Convertible = yes. 

Year: 1990

16 way seats: yes

The interesting part is "Canadian Export" ? 

IMG_1967.jpeg

IMG_1965.jpeg

IMG_1979.jpeg

IMG_1978.jpeg

Edited by zenom73 (see edit history)

It was mentioned on Facebook, but I’ll touch on it here. 

The missing code for export indicates the car was NOT built with an export package. 47EF47D0-5B81-4F30-A12A-EACABB20D877.jpeg.049ea05a829f282ca2317fa427bf5622.jpeg

Since the manifest says “Garnet” I’d say you are probably right... lol

The registry does not include every 1990 Reatta built. This is owner submitted data. Please send your data to Barney so he can include this car in his next update. 

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)

White, white Garnet.  ,Nice car.  I appreciate you want to feel you have a rare car but rarity in Reattas does not mean value.  Maybe curiosity but not value.   It's just a neat car is all, enjoy it and don't look too far into the 1 of world.  

I've owned 4 of the rarest Reattas in the world and they have little value. 

Back to one of your original questions......the interior color.   It was listed as RED in all Reatta literature.  1988-1990 all had the same RED interior option.  You are correct that it is actually burgundy, but it was listed as RED.  In 1991 they changed the red interior to FLAME RED which is a bright red.

All Reattas are rare on the overall automobile scale.... there were only 21,xxx built in 4 years, many other cars built that many in one month.   The convertible was only made in 1990 and 1991 with a total of just under 2500 made (sorry I am not home with all my reference material)

As Jake points out, even the rare Reattas do not bring lots of $$$... however at this time they are very reasonable to buy and are often found with mileage under 50K.   It all depends on where you want to be..... a buyer or seller. 

10 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

White, white Garnet.  ,Nice car.  I appreciate you want to feel you have a rare car but rarity in Reattas does not mean value.  Maybe curiosity but not value.   It's just a neat car is all, enjoy it and don't look too far into the 1 of world.  

I've owned 4 of the rarest Reattas in the world and they have little value. 

Of course how many of those four rare Reatta’s were in any kind of condition to be considered collectible Reatta ‘s?

And people like the white with the red, we rarely see a nice polo come to market, Maui’s usually do well especially in convertible.Here we go again, talking about Reatta’s not bringing much money when in the last year we’ve seen pristine  convertibles go for between $18k and $33k, We’ve seen very clean coupes-go on eBay for up to $8500 and those weren’t even pristine low mileage ones. We can’t roll all Reatta’s up in one ball, there are unquestionably three separate groups, those with beaters, those with very nice drivers, and really pristine cars that are basically show cars, and each one of those groups are willing to pay for what Reatta’s in that group go for. The fax and the numbers don’t lie and we’ve posted countless times over the last year hard sales and data on these high er value cars.

That upper group would certainly have more interest in rare color combinations but of course only if they are in the condition they like.  All numbers seem low in the Reatta world especially convertibles since so few were built, next to red and tan , white and red is the second most popular color and at any given time you can find a nice one that color. Breaking the color down even further to paint it or non-painted body side molding is really a relevant as that’s more of a personal preference, I personally prefer painted moldings but other people prefer black moldings.  Even though the market is always flooded with red and tan, that color-still remains popular, And people like the white with the red, we rarely see a nice polo come to market, Maui’s usually do well especially in convertible.  Even a convertible there’s several combinations that are one of one or one of two or one of a few, those are ones that are a special interest to collectors if they are in collectible condition.  

I don't know why some refuse to see what is clearly there, again, we have seen hard high priced sells of the the Reatta over the last couple years which are not a fluke.   The Reatta has reached a point where we need to stop dwelling on the price of the junkers and focus on the others.  

The Reatta has seen a lot of press the last couple years as well, some good, some not so good but overall it has been positive and just how many cars of the late 80's and early 90's are on the radar for all these mentions 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

Of course how many of those four rare Reatta’s were in any kind of condition to be considered collectible Reatta ‘s?

Doesn't matter.  In the 1 of world, the nastiest Cuda, Mach 1 , GTO, or Corvette has collectors pushing over each other to restore them.  

That does not exist for Reattas.  They are scrapped. Not just mine, but back in the glory days of this forum rare Reattas would be located begging for a good home only to be unbought for restoration.  That culture just does not exist for Reattas and that's fine.  

As you have astutely figured out low mileage matters.  Reatta collectors favor verifiable low mileage cars in any color.  

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

Doesn't matter.  In the 1 of world, the nastiest Cuda, Mach 1 , GTO, or Corvette has collectors pushing over each other to restore them.  

That does not exist for Reattas.  They are scrapped. Not just mine, but back in the glory days of this forum rare Reattas would be located begging for a good home only to be unbought for restoration.  That culture just does not exist for Reattas and that's fine.  

As you have astutely figured out low mileage matters.  Reatta collectors favor verifiable low mileage cars in any color.  

The only flaw to your theory is there was a time color didn't matter on the cars you listed either, but the savey collector grabbed the ones that were different.  We won't even pretend that the Reatta will ever be in that collector category.  Of course back in the glory days of the forum Reatta's had yet to really start coming of their own except except an occasional outstanding example.  I'm not remembering what made your Reatta's so rare

I owned some not so rare Reattas but the ones I did own that "might have" been considered collectible are - 

1988 #105   -  the oldest remaining located Reatta known to exist*, a Red and Suede 16 way car with provenance.  I sold it for $250 and threw the document history away.   As far as I know this one is still in Polk County, Iowa.  Had many cool early features, in my opinion.    I loved the document chase on this one as well.  A BCA member that was part of the Reatta team remembers the car.  It was specially prepared for executive service, it was driven, and then GM came to the executive and said they needed it back.  

It was designated to the Cincinnati Ohio zone where a buyer had gone into the dealer and said he had to have one.  He had seen a Reatta on a trip to Detroit.  He paid A LOT to get it without waiting.  SPID was on the trunk.  One of my last letters received was from the GM of the dealership, dealership now defunct, and he provided a lot of back story of the car.  The original owner owned a business in Cincinnati, a man, and he wanted the car.  

#105 meant a lot to me, as it felt like sitting in Reatta history.  Using Barney's database, there are some cars sold before or simultaneous to #105 but they have dropped off the grid, lost to history.  #105 had it's original drivetrain, original panels with VIN stickers, it was all original, just worn out.    Still ran and drove fine, I used to exercise it around my neighborhood.    

1988 Select 60.  This was purchased off CL for $1500 and sold to someone in Pella, Iowa "that always wanted a Reatta" for $700. I did take the S60 badge off and sell it individually for $150.  

1990 Driftwood convertible first one made, documented and verified, owned by a collector in Omaha.  

1991 Maui and Tan with sunroof, documented 1 of 1 and purchased from Marck B.  (sold as a project for $250) Purchased from Marck for I think $1700, and paid for transport to Iowa for $1400.  A guy from Webster City, Iowa bought it for $250. 

I had a 1988 Black and Tan parts car I was dismantling in the garage next to the Maui and Tan coupe, then when I had parted that car out #105 was to go back into the garage.  Working 55 hours a week, with a family and other hobbies, I did not have enough time.  Add to that I went from a 3 car heated, insulated and well lit man cave to a 1940's era mess of a garage (with a nice home) and it was tough to get motivated and there was little room in that garage.  

Next we got a divorce and the cars had to go.  I knew from prior experience not to market them on ebay, so I ran ads with optimistic pricing, like $1000 each and dropped them until I got bottom feeders that would at least take them away. 

* not counting the convertible mule

And I own 2 now, a coupe and a convertible but they are low mileage and stored as they will be sold for profit when the time is right, per the advice of the forum members that Reatta value will explode.  

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

And I own 2 now, a coupe and a convertible but they are low mileage and stored as they will be sold for profit when the time is right, per the advice of the forum members that Reatta value will explode. 

Waiting for Reatta values to explode is like like waiting for a volcano to erupt. I thought there was going to an eruption when I bought my Reatta in 2007. All that's happened so far is a few whiffs of smoke when somebody overpays for a nice coupe and an occasional rumble when a very low mileage convertible brings a good price. I see no real indication that an explosion is any closer than it was in 2007. If choosing between a nice driver that is priced right and a low mileage collector grade convertible, I think the nice driver is the best bang for your buck. At the local car shows the nice coupe or the collector convertible will get about the same amount of attention if that's your thing. If you have extra money to invest to get a good return on your money, I think the stock market would be a better option. Just my opinion...

• Like 1

Just now, Ronnie said:

Waiting for Reatta values to explode is like like waiting for a volcano to erupt. I thought that was going to an eruption when I bought my Reatta in 2007. All that's happened so far is a few whiffs of smoke when somebody overpays for a nice coupe and an occasional rumble when a very low mileage convertible brings a good price. I see no real indication that an explosion is any closer than it was in 2007. If choosing between a nice driver that is priced right and a low mileage collector grade convertible, I think the nice driver is the best bang for your buck. At the local car shows the nice coupe or the collector convertible will get about the same amount of attention if that's your thing. If you have extra money to invest to get a good return on your money, I think the stock market would be a better option. Just my opinion...

Y Job Fan tells me the low mileage convertible and coupe market is strong, and I tend to have faith in his knowledge.    I did have extra money to invest and hope to get a modest return on my investments in Reattas.  I just don't touch them, removed the batteries, in dry storage.  

27 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Y Job Fan tells me the low mileage convertible and coupe market is strong, and I tend to have faith in his knowledge.    I did have extra money to invest and hope to get a modest return on my investments in Reattas.  I just don't touch them, removed the batteries, in dry storage.  

Jake, I think I've got to know you pretty well over the years. I have read a lot of your posts across all the AACA forums, and to be honest, I think you are just being sarcastic with your recent posts in the Reatta forum about Reattas increasing in value. I don't think you really agree with Y-Job's views about Reatta prices. In other AACA forums you are saying you're are out of the old car hobby.

Will the real Jake Moran please stand up! :)

• Like 1

With the cost of restoration even on high dollar collector cars restoring a Reatta is certainly not a winning proposition, to do a proper restoration anyhow especially when there are nice ones to be had.  The 105 is interesting but not earthshattering, 88 Select 60's are neat and I wouldn't mind having a mint one but in the grand scope they made more of them than some other combinations, Driftwood always falls flat, now that Driftwood coupe that showed up with the red interior is interesting, and I do find the Maui/tan very interesting but again the cost to restore it would be north of $30K.  A Maui/Tan would be high on my list.  Any one of the cars you listed except the Driftwood would have been very desirable in stellar condition 

I have investments and I have Reattas. I count on my investments to grow and of course be more valuable, and the money I spent on my Reatta is enjoyment [and business miles tax deduction]. I will never see any financial return on any car [Reatta or otherwise] and don't care. Right now when I want to get rid of a Reatta I call 2seater and make him an offer he can't refuse [he has sons and grandkids that want them]. He already has two from me, and I am about to offer him another one.

I just like cars....... so early on I purchased and drove what I could afford.   That car was the Corvair.  From 1960 until today I have had at least one at any give time except for a 30 month gap in the late '60's when I had an AH Sprite...  Some time back I did a count and the number or Corvairs owned was in the mid 30's.... with that said, you don't collect Corvairs to get rich.   I probably made more on parts than cars.   Corvairs had few options, but if I found one with an option I wanted, I would buy the entire car just to get an option like the AM-FM radio, I would do a clean up on the car, tune it and replace the option I removed....and could always sell the car for more than I paid, plus I now have the AM-FM radio, or bumper guard,      

I still have a 1965 Corsa convertible purchased in 1968 for $650 today it has less than 60K and appears to be worth over $10K

If you do the math, $9000 over 56 years is like buying a CD today, not that much profit.    I just like cars... 

I came in the back door on Reattas....... In 1992 my wife was driving something she was tired of and this 1990 Reatta popped up in the local paper.   I do not even remember seeing a Reatta before looking at this 1990 burgundy/burgundy coupe.  The owner was a lady in outside sales and she had just had a baby.    The Reatta no longer worked for her, it was about 18 months old and had 20K.   We made a deal and the rest is history.   Because of my Corvair experience, I wanted to know more about this "little" Buick and before I knew it a 1991 white/red convertible was also in the garage (we owned that car for 22 years)  

May 2021 I am down to one 1991 black/red coupe that was purchased from the Italian jeweler about 10 years ago.   It has about 28K on it and get little local mileage but has been driven to Charlotte, and Milwaukee national meets... I was recently offer more for it than a similar convertible would sell for,  but I turned down the offer, because I like the car and I would just spend the money on something foolish.   I just like cars. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Jake, I think I've got to know you pretty well over the years. I have read a lot of your posts across all the AACA forums, and to be honest, I think you are just being sarcastic with your recent posts in the Reatta forum about Reattas increasing in value. I don't think you really agree with Y-Job's views about Reatta prices. In other AACA forums you are saying you're are out of the old car hobby.

Will the real Jake Moran please stand up! :)

I am out Ronnie. I bought the Reattas simply as an investment.  I don't even look at them. Now, they are not even in the town I reside in.  I had leftover money from settling my mom's estate.

The last collector cars I had were a 1976 Cadillac Coupe deVille and a 1993 Allante, which I drove both. My divorce forced the sale of 5 cars in the winter of 2019-2020.  

I actually own no vehicles now besides the stored Reattas.  My employer provides a company vehicle. 

I love old cars so I browse the forums. But I could not afford a decent driver like you see listed above in the Buy Sell sections.  

I used to read about old cars maybe 3-5 hours a week and knew quite a bit. But am losing that knowledge now. 

I might join the BCA just so I can go to the Lisle meet, it will be huge and a lot of fun I think.  But it would be a one and done deal.  

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

Only Reatta I have now is the original triple blue sunroof '88 I bought twenty years ago. Has been my only car and most dependable since and not going anywhere. Is in the front garage.

Going through an Allante phase now with two hardtop 89s (one nice, one not so) I bought last year for pocket change. Picked 89 specifically for more power and less nanny. Have all year's service manuals (most as .pdfs) and a couple of parts & illustrations. Parts are available from several sources, one close.

6 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

I am out Ronnie. I bought the Reattas simply as an investment.  I don't even look at them. Now, they are not even in the town I reside in.  I had leftover money from settling my mom's estate.

It's good that you are saving them. Show us some photos. We all like photos. I'm sure they are nice if you are saving them as an investment. You might want to post the VINs for Barney so he can add them to his database. I'm sure your cars would be a welcome addition to the database

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the database reference,  input has slowed as fewer Reattas remain on the road.   For the original database, I will take any input, but must have a vin number. 

Even if you find a Reatta in a salvage yard, give me the vin, and location and I will add that to the database. 

If you do not already know.... the database is located at   reatta.net    and maintained free for the last 20+ years by Tom Jenkins in Florida.   

We now  have 5 different databases. 

(1) the original that has colors, location and last owners name of known vehicles....lots of info but not all cars are there. 

(2) 1988 database from GM documents

(3) 1989 database from GM documents

(4) 1990 database from GM documents

(5) 1991 database supplied by Tom Benvi built from GM documents...this is the most complete thanks to Tom

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1