My 1958 Roadmaster 75

lancemb

Piggy’s been sitting in the house garage neglected lately, so I thought I would tinker with it a bit.

Ive never been happy with the carb I got with the car when I bought it.  I was thinking there was something wrong in the base plate or primary throttle shaft.  Well, I was right.  I pulled the carb off in assumption that I could rebuild the one I pulled off Gonzo…but I quickly realized that I replaced Gonzo’s for a reason.  The linkage was wrong for 58.  So, off to my pile of parts carburetors…and I found one that had the right throttle linkage.  Thinking I could use the whole base plate on piggy’s original carb, I set out to remove it from the parts carb.  

After completely disassembling the baseplate, blasting, and reaming out holes…I realized that one of the secondary bleeds was plugged up.  I spent 2 hours trying to clear it with no result.

Back to the parts carbs.  I found one that looked clean…came off a 60 carb.  I had to chop off one ear for the different idle screw adjustment, but other than that, the base plate is the same.  Of course, this one had a secondary throttle shaft that was frozen solid.

After another fight to get that one apart and cleaned, I was able to finally get it back together and installed on Piggy’s original carb.  

It fired right up and I let it warm up enough to get a rough idle mix adjustment on it.  It seems to run smoother, but we will see if that horrible stumble is gone once I am able to test drive it.

First pic is of the old base plat I took off Piggy’s carb.  

Second is the old primary throttle shaft end (goes toward the choke).  I’m pretty sure this was causing a large vacuum leak.

Second two pics are results of my baseplate parts search and the remainder of my parts carbs.

Last one is of the battery cable end I replaced. Both cables were this type of end, so I replaced them with a pair from CARS.  There was a day last time I had the car out when I guess the connection wasn’t great, so it got so hot it melted the lead/zinc end where the clamping bolt is.  Fun stuff.

So Piggy is fairly happy again.  But I have a full tube up kit coming this way for Piggy and Gonzo.

C647D9F6-2C5E-4FA3-97CB-E09D746620B5.jpeg

A18F184B-D4D1-4D04-83B6-BAA4DE129061.jpeg

75DBF034-95CB-4E6A-B033-614F1ACDC248.jpeg

7FB0AE31-A6E1-468B-BE61-92B0B82DCABC.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

My Coker Tire order that I placed in August has been pushed to July for an "expected date of shipping."  So I canceled the order and Called Diamondack.  I ordered two sets of Auburn Classics in 820x15 with a 2.5" whitewall, for both Piggy and Gonzo.  They're over $300 each, but I can't afford not to have tires this year.  They don't offer an 8.00x15, otherwise I would have bought them.  Even the 7.60's that Lance bought for his 57 coupe are on backorder from Coker.  So hopefully my $2600 tire order will be here by the first week in April.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, lancemb said:

$1200+ for a set of tires is less than half of the basic entry fee for buying an old car that has not been driven and maintained and getting it back on the road.

I'd say it's prudent to allow 10 ~ 15% of the purchase price for 'recommissioning' a car that isn't fully sorted...

On 3/8/2022 at 11:31 PM, lancemb said:

$1200+ for a set of tires is less than half of the basic entry fee for buying an old car that has not been driven and maintained and getting it back on the road. 

This is what $1200 got me. It runs! And the grill and bumpers were inside 

3D3496B3-8588-4984-BA39-67CFB7EAF5A4.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Piggins got a 200 mile shake down today.  After getting it really warm running down the interstate at 75mph +, it was running a touch rough at idle.  So I made an idle mix adjustment and it cleared up.  I also forgot that my headlights stopped working, so I had to get home before it got dark.  Barely made it before I couldn’t see.  It was a loose connection at the firewall…which I’m going to have to pull apart and clean.  I nearly breathed on it and the lights came on.  But it was a successful run today, and it’s definitely apparent that it needs new tires.  Sheesh.

61D27349-5C14-456E-A090-E9188084FA64.png

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Tires showed up yesterday for both 58’s.  Eureka!!

Piggy is on jack stands currently while tires get swapped.  I did a quickie wire wheel and black painted the outer edges of the wheels.  No red for now.

I went to move the car into the shop today…and after sitting for almost 2 weeks, it fired up on the first revolution. I was stunned 🤣

02DEA6FB-387F-4F63-93FC-AD842F71400F.jpeg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

I entered Piggy in the 400 pt judging for Lisle...so I have some work to do.  I have no idea how I'm going to get it done quickly enough, but I'm going to try doing a once-over on the engine compartment.  It's the worst part of the car right now.  And if I do that, I might stand a chance at a bronze award.  I'm also picking up a flight pitch transmission from Jim Hughes the second week of June.  So that will be done before I hit the road for Lisle, too.  Also waiting on several pieces of chrome for the front end...

I guess I should get started.

• Like 7

It’s very apparent that the car hasn’t been apart before, which is nice to know.  But it’s fighting me at every turn.  I was able to get the transmission out today.  Both mounts are completely split apart…would explain the violent thunk noise when shifting into reverse.  I’m also going to have CARS add engine mounts to the list.  What’s another $350?

The good news is that I didn’t have to disconnect anything but the parking brake on the rear end to slide it back.  I also was able to get the passenger side exhaust manifold off without breaking any bolts.  Scratch that….I broke the small bolt that holds on the dipstick tube for the trans.  They’re usually pretty hopeless to get out in one piece.  I’m still contemplating taking off the driver side so I can make it nice and clean.

my goal in taking off the RH manifold was that I thought there was a leak somewhere…or a crack.  I found nothing.  Now it has me wondering if there is a rusted out core plug in the intake manifold.  I’ll know soon.

7BC776C0-8565-4CF1-A12E-EC6AD024238F.jpeg

13261132-3A35-430E-8A98-F2899E04F14B.jpeg

• Like 6

@Smartin Adam, or anyone with the knowledge.  I'm always looking for ways to improve performance and with that in mind, I just have to ask.  Do you know if the 58 Flight Pitch tranny will fit on a 322?  Specifically in a 56 Buick?  Do you have any idea as to what the challenges would be of doing this swap?  Are you aware of anyone ever attempting this?  

You should know that the chances of me attempting this are almost zero.  I was just curious if its a possibility.  In looking at the specs between a 58 Roadie and a 56 Super, there's about a 700 lb weight difference in favor of the 56 Super  (in the case of my Super, there's probably another 200 lbs due to rust weight reduction :) ).  I would surmise that this swap would be beneficial regarding performance and fuel economy.  I'm sure there are challenges regarding the rear end splines and other issues.  

PS:  I'm not trying to hijack the thread.  If you want to keep this thread clean, you can respond in my Super 4 door sedan thread.  I'm guessing this question may elicit lots of responses that you may not want here.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, usnavystgc said:

Do you know if the 58 Flight Pitch tranny will fit on a 322?

I think Adam just performed the inverse swap on Miss Piggy because the FP Dynaflow has a checkered reliability record.  Hopefully he'll clarify...

I am swapping the transmission with another FP.  This one has a pretty massive front seal leak, and that's beyond my scope of capabilities.  It just happened that Jim called about a week ago and said it was ready to go.  So I reluctantly added it to my list from hell to get completed before the nats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will add that the FP gets a bad rap because of the "G" grade retard shift position.  It was used as a means of braking assistance during downhill grades.  If used as a "low gear,", it would roast the transmission.  I guess the engineers overestimated the capability of people to learn something new, given the dynaflow's low gear selection was a popular thing to use off the line.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great video as always. Will be keen to see how you go about the rear main seal fix. I gather you will repack the lower half and use a punch to pack in more material in the top half. Something I need to do on my ‘63 Riviera.

cheers

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

11 hours ago, Smartin said:

I did the rear seal on the black 59 in this video:

Thanks for that. Feel more comfortable using this method. Much appreciated 

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

One week until zero hour.  My optimism is fading 😅

Every afternoon, I am working for a couple hours to try getting this done.  I’ll likely spend next Monday and Tuesday solely on this car, to try and make this happen. 

Today we started on replacing trunk material, and I wrapped up the trans crossmember and mount install onto the trans.  I’ve been over-detailing this stuff as I go, even through no one will look at this stuff.  I just hate installing dirty greasy rusty stuff.

4354FC78-A87C-4F3D-9B85-2B988B2212A7.jpeg

F339670A-FED0-4239-B7FE-7EBF39456CB1.jpeg

7AC49FA7-2D70-4E05-A66B-869BF4D8DA47.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I had a helper come today.  Local club member and good friend who donated his day to give me a jump on some of the really monotonous items like wire wheeling bolts.

I spent the day also working on Piggy, mostly on the blaster…but I failed to get photos. 

C379AAA9-5460-4926-8161-B1575FAAB7F3.jpeg

D1822E32-930B-4BFB-9806-397C89A05168.jpeg

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Transmission is in and torque tube is bolted to it.  

We almost have the trunk material done.  Just need to sew a couple pieces together and we can glue it all in.  Seeing this makes me want to push as hard as possible to get it done for Lisle. 

We were short about a 1/4 yard to get all of the pieces cut out of the new material.  So we cleaned the wheel well pieces and  will re-glue them in.

0E966BD7-5EE9-4F21-8491-DE67A606DDD7.jpeg

89F33467-7FC5-4BB7-84B9-6FE8A12AAC36.jpeg

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1