My 1958 Roadmaster 75

lancemb

Trunk is finished.  I screwed up a little on re-gluing the wheel well pieces in a little too far forward.  But everything else is happy.

As far as the engine compartment is concerned, this is as far as I’m going to tear down.  I am hopeful that I can just clean the firewall to make the paint look better, because I simply don’t have time to paint it.  Tomorrow is gonna be a marathon in the garage to get as much done as possible.  Sunday is a wash due to Fathers Day.  Then I have Monday and Tuesday to wrap this up.

B5169DE1-5559-4930-8013-3C39A26C9F47.jpeg

B8B06B15-C28E-4A2D-9434-4BEA7A6E3EA3.jpeg

• Like 6

Progress.  

I half-assed the black sheet metal stuff, just to get it done…and I’m not super happy with it.  But I have to move forward.  I would like to finish every detail in here, but it’s not going to happen.  

I would have kept going this evening, but my blaster needs a media replacement and a screen protector.  Tomorrow is Fathers Day, so little will get done…if anything.  

I tried to paint all of the engine color stuff today, since it takes a full day for that to dry.

I was able to get the underside of the car wrapped up with rear main seal, oil pan, and inspection cover.  I pulled the oil filter housing after I took the picture…will be blasted and painted.

C10CBFD0-7C28-44BD-84A3-0628D3E2DDAB.jpeg

BC1B1AC5-70B4-4D75-8ABA-91AA80AB3C66.jpeg

EC66523C-502B-4685-9FD2-72F68364A6B9.jpeg

• Like 10

Piggy performed flawlessly on the trip up.  This is such a nice driving car.  Left front edge of the rocker panel molding popped loose, and will have to reattach tomorrow.  Also developed an exhaust manifold leak on driver side…the side I didn’t remove when I had it apart 🙄

E0C7EBD1-733F-4E13-BD78-257359A29A3D.jpeg

5CE6F147-2C96-4541-91ED-CB39290A3F8D.jpeg

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Smartin said:

Driver side exhaust manifold had a massive crack in it now.  Rear U-joint is squeaking up a storm too.  Yay!

Sorry to hear this.  Do you think it will make it home?

43 minutes ago, Smartin said:

It’s getting worse by the minute.  Outlook not so good.  I have a plan in the works to get it home.

I am almost positive I have a U-joint at home for it.  If you want to fix it at my house Sunday on my lift you're welcome to do so.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Adam, are you going to do a video on replacement of the rear universal joint?

Seeing your car in person at the "Nationals" it looks great.

Congratulations on your award,

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The last big local show of the season is this weekend…and I didn’t want the car sounding like a tractor when I’m sitting in the drive-through judging.  So I tackled the LH exhaust manifold.  I stuck a few chrome trinkets on, too.

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Adam, another great video, did you purchase the exhaust manifold gaskets from CARS,  for the trunk moulding screws look into HOLD-E-ZEE screwdriver by upson tools they have regular flat blade and phillips, photo is of # TR-4 flat blade.

What was the cost for chrome work on the hood bar?

FYI:  1958 service bulletin # 2.436 dated March 28, 1958 Exhaust manifold stud change.

Thank You,

Bob

2C894773-84C1-4B04-9827-5C6DCB7723A7.jpeg

A9259BE7-B0FE-495B-92B8-06FFB66084C0.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob
Add photo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Smartin said:

Looks like the rear fluid seal on the transmission is not happy.  I have the Exxon Valdez on the garage floor near the back of the torque tube.  Not a happy camper.

But you've fixed these enough times that it must be getting fun now!  But probably not if you've already had it apart. 

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Smartin said:

Looks like the rear fluid seal on the transmission is not happy.  I have the Exxon Valdez on the garage floor near the back of the torque tube.  Not a happy camper.

Reworking a repair is one thing. Reworking a torque ball seal repair is color of a different horse.  I feel your pain. 

• 5 months later...