1907 vintage touring

West Peterson

Just now, modela28 said:

Ok, we give up.  What is the make?

I have no clue......just my distorted sense of humor. 🥸

This is one of those photos which seem so easy, but turn out not to be and then become some sort of obsession. As it is my experience with American cars that everything has to fit, we are looking for a car with: 10 spoke wheels front with 10 bolts; a connecting rod in front of the front axle; rather flat front springs;  this type of front fenders with straight front end; a Mercedes-type hood with medium height filler tube; a footboard with steep incline towards the dash; a touring body with a central body line. 
This search of course took a while (i.e. many hours), and just when I thought about giving up this car came by: a 1908 Premier model 30. All details fit except that the rear fender seems to be slightly more curved at the end, but that could be an optical illusion. I attached an example of the 1908 model 30, quality not so well because it comes from the yearly make and model overview as published in the Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal (March 1908 p.45), so rather small images. The front part of the car is better seen on the other 1908 Premier image, a special with a different body (Motor Age, 3 Sept. 1908 p.3).

CATJ 1908-3 p.45.jpg

Motor Age 1908-09-03 p.8.jpg

• Like 2

Wow! I would not have bet on this one being sorted out and identified. But if someone was going to manage it? It figures it would be Ariejan. I do not know him myself, however I have known his name for about twenty years, and I know a few people that do know him. In discussions with mutual friends, he has always been highly regarded.

Thank you Ariejan.

Wayne, thank you for your kind words. Indeed many people know me only by name: I travel more in time than in space, so normally I am 'working' from home. If necessary I am always approachable by e-mail and many people contact me in this way. Car identification on photos of the brass era is my specialty, both in Europe and in America, a combination with many advantages. For some time now I follow the AACA Whatisit pages on a regular basis, and I'll help wherever I can.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...