Fun with Teslas

Since we're piling on Tesla, who thought this was a good idea?  I used to think that the Chysler rotary knob shifter was the worst design ever. Silly me.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-model-s-x-touchscreen-shifter/?wc_mid=4035:21078&wc_rid=4035:764561&_wcsid=978BEDEDDC09B1572E39377C1D9156F2D08885E607CF408D

Having robots drive for you is like having robots enforce laws for you ("What could go wrong?") I don't get the liability model Tesla is using. They obviously know a lot more about running a large car company than I do, but it seems to me that just a few horrific accidents due to glitches could wipe them out. And making people less responsible for their own safety doesn't seem like a good idea in the long run.

Robocop-movie-Peter-Weller-Cyborg.jpg

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

Wasn’t it 1965 when everyone had to use the same format for the gearshift?  Chrysler’s push buttons ended in 1964 and the reason most quoted was legislation to standardize the shifter location and sequence.  Today it can be anywhere it seems.  My 2007 Dodge Caliber had the relay fail that allows the car to go in gear when the brake pedal is pushed and my wife’s Subaru refused to give up the ignition key because the park sensor was not engaging.  Regardless of where the shift sensor is, it can fail.

Harley had to develop a rube goldberg linkage to move the shifter to the other side. Anyone remember why 1970 cars with four speeds had the reverse lights on alla time ? (I put a bank of switches on the dash that also engaged the cruise control (n/a with a manual transmission)).