WTB 33x4 roller grade tires and tubes

• 2 months later...

Well the problem is obvious, just put some air in the tire. The current 14.7 pounds per square inch is not adequate to drive the car...........14.7 being atmospheric pressure at sea level. You need to add air. 😝

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Well the problem is obvious, just put some air in the tire. The current 14.7 pounds per square inch is not adequate to drive the car...........14.7 being atmospheric pressure at sea level. You need to add air. 😝

Ed has plenty of air, and it's even hot!  Ed, just wrap your lips around the stems and BLOW HARD!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Ed has plenty of air, and it's even hot!  Ed, just wrap your lips around the stems and BLOW HARD!

I would normally respond with a very snarky remark, but the last few days I have been pushing the envelope......so to save me a phone  call and distress of some nice people who don’t need the hassle of dealing with me directly, I shall refrain from calling my good friend and fellow Pierce Arrow owner any objectionable adjectives. Hard to believe I have this type of self control while drinking at the bar. That said, I don’t think it’s possible anyone could possibly have a higher opinion of my friend George than I do, and I think he’s a no good dirty rotten xxxxxxx. 😏

I wish my good friend in crime a happy Memorial Day and thank him for his service in the war of independence...... it’s comforting to know some of the founding fathers illegitimate children are still with us. May all of our nations hero’s be remembered on this very Special day of remembrance. Those who gave the full measure of devotion, and all who served. Thank you......a few of us still respect you, the flag, and the country. God Bless America and ALL who served her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Guess what size tire my new 1917 takes.........are your rims 24 inch? 

33x4 would be incorrect for 24 inch rims...33 - (2x4) = 25 inch rims....maybe you've sat at the bar too long?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

33x4 would be incorrect for 24 inch rims...33 - (2x4) = 25 inch rims....maybe you've sat at the bar too long?

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

Dave, I know the formula, but Bob’s tires are so bad I wasn’t sure if he read the numbers or measured the rim. It’s a close thing......and my new car has 34 x 5’s on it. I was hoping that I could help him out. Unfortunately, no go. I can’t believe that the smaller tires on my new car cost more than 37 x 5 tires.

• Thanks 1

Well, you know I wasn't fussing at you, and I'm sure you knew the formula.  Every now and then someone finds old Maypops for a roll around car, but they seem to be getting harder and harder to come by....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Well, you know I wasn't fussing at you, and I'm sure you knew the formula.  Every now and then someone finds old Maypops for a roll around car, but they seem to be getting harder and harder to come by....

Without this forum I’d never have found that formula! I was missing a rim and thanks to @George Cole and @pkhammer I actually found two!!! 
I’m hoping I can get some rollers while I’m wrenching on it and it’s sitting before I spring on new ones! 

Thanks to all you guys my Haynes will actually run one day!! 

I can do the machining, fabricating etc. all myself but tires.....not so much! 

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Dave, I know the formula, but Bob’s tires are so bad I wasn’t sure if he read the numbers or measured the rim. It’s a close thing......and my new car has 34 x 5’s on it. I was hoping that I could help him out. Unfortunately, no go. I can’t believe that the smaller tires on my new car cost more than 37 x 5 tires.

Thanks for thinking of me Ed! I might just machine some hub adapters so I can move it around easier if I don’t find any take-offs. Moving it with a tractor FEL isn’t practical most of the time!! Lol  Lots of other areas need the money worse at the moment on the car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

I would normally respond with a very snarky remark, but the last few days I have been pushing the envelope......so to save me a phone  call and distress of some nice people who don’t need the hassle of dealing with me directly, I shall refrain from calling my good friend and fellow Pierce Arrow owner any objectionable adjectives. Hard to believe I have this type of self control while drinking at the bar. That said, I don’t think it’s possible anyone could possibly have a higher opinion of my friend George than I do, and I think he’s a no good dirty rotten xxxxxxx. 😏

I wish my good friend in crime a happy Memorial Day and thank him for his service in the war of independence...... it’s comforting to know some of the founding fathers illegitimate children are still with us. May all of our nations hero’s be remembered on this very Special day of remembrance. Those who gave the full measure of devotion, and all who served. Thank you......a few of us still respect you, the flag, and the country. God Bless America and ALL who served her.

@Grimy

It's been my experience that George is not only a wealth of knowledge but a subtle badass!! I’ve been bogged down with life and responsibilities. A 30 minute phone call with George this past week got me pumped about the old cars again!! Good man that knows his stuff on cars and life in general!! 

Thanks for your service George and just being you! 

• Thanks 1

A thought. A friend some years ago was in a similar situation. He got some 3/4 inch plywood, measured and cut appropriate outer circle and a hole in the middle to fit the hub and cap through. The outer area, he drilled holes to line up with the rim bolts. Then bolted the plywood to the outside of the wheel with the rim and tire (such as it is?) removed. He then took a couple model T demountable rims with roller tires and good tubes. Flipped the rim and tire around outside-in, lined up the lug holes to miss all the spokes, and bolted that onto the outside of the plywood. The rim and tire were undersize, but not so much undersize that the car sat on the T's tire (a good side part is that if the tire goes flat while sitting, the car will settle onto the plywood being just slightly larger diameter than the rimless wheel). For rolling around?  I wouldn't want to have to drive very far on something like that? But for rolling around the shop it works great!

Just a little bit of careful, and no harm is done to the wheel.

• Like 1

I was to store a touring car that was too high for my garage.  Fellow made wheels out of 3/4 inch plywood, two discs sandwiched together and bolted to drums, smaller diameter than the wheels on car.  Allowed car to roll easily and be much shorter ...

• 6 months later...
On 12/25/2021 at 9:21 PM, BobinVirginia said:

Still looking! My project will proceed soon

Hi Bob, I have two 32x4 Goodrich Silvertown Cords that held air when I took them off my car in 2019.  Should be good for rollers.  Let me know if these might work for you. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@BobinVirginia

I have a set of old 33 x 4 tires off of my 14 Studebaker. There are tubes with them, they held air before I changed my tires over to new ones. I did remove the shrader valves inside to air them down and danged if I can find them. Not sure about how to set up shipping. PM me if you're still interested and perhaps we can get things going.

20220316_190806.jpg

20220316_190811.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...