1940 Hudson Coupe with pull out pickup bed all original in Hemmings.

Lots more photos in the AD.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/hudson/unspecified/2467061.html

Saw this in Hemmings pretty cool for a Hudson guy. 

I think the price is pretty realistic. 

Seller’s Description: 1940 Hudson 40T • Coupe • Driven 81,000 miles Very rare. All original unrestored survivor. Was repainted sometime in the 70's. Everything works. Has the optional pull out truck bed. Original red leather interior. 3 on the tree manual transmission with the original overdrive. It has been in the Pacific Northwest it's entire life. A few small spots of rust behind the doors. I didn't want to fix them due to originality. This car is from the Pete Welzbacker Hudson collection in Seabeck Wa. This car was found on the Oregon coast in the Bob Harbaugh Hudson museum in the late 1970s. This is an unrestored all original car and a "good ten footer" Pete would say. It has one repaint MANY years ago. This is NOT a rusty car but has a little cancer showing in the normal places. It has the original $12 dollar option factory Ox Blood red leather upholstery. This is a Model 40T. The engine was rebuilt in 1994. It is a straight 6 175ci 92hp with a three speed transmission and working Overdrive. The car did not originally have the "truck box" but it was an option and was installed by Pete. All the memorabilia that Pete collected will be offered with the car. Feel free to call with any questions. Read Less 

Price: $14,995 OBO 

77671103-770-0@2X.jpg

77671105-770-0@2X.jpg

• Like 9

That was the last year for the utility coupe. It is still the 37 body with a different front end. There are a few ways you can spot a utility coupe in 1937. Commercial series hood ornament, painted cowl trim and windshield divider bar, tail light and the gas filler location. In order for the gas filler tube to clear the pull out bed. It runs at an angle, starting at the rear fender. And goes under the rail for the pull out bed. And into the top of the gas tank. If you see a 37 utility coupe with the gas cap on the body. It is not a factory utility coupe. Someone has added the pull out bed. Also the interior has a boxed out wood structure forming a space for the bed to slide in, behind the front seat. The spare tire was behind the front seat, mounted on the face of this boxed out area. Both my dad and I had factory utility coupes. My dads car has terraplane tail lights, and Hudson tail light lenses. The utility coupes only had one tail light on the drivers side, and it had a bracket for the license plate. The utility coupes are neat cars. My dads car is in CA, mine is still in Idaho to my knowledge. His is the blueish one in the old picture. Mine is the green one. You can see my first Hudson on the end. 52 Wasp. I would have been about 17-18 years old then. 

more 1937 hudson shots 042.JPG

by by 37 058.jpg

1937 hudson coupe 084.JPG

1937 hudson coupe 104.JPG

1937 hudson coupe 128.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 023.JPG

old picture 002.JPG

• Like 3

Also in 1937 the tail gates had no name on them. Not sure if it was 38 or 39 they were stamped Hudson Terraplane on them. The beds also had a chain/hook to support the tail gate when open. Most of the tail gates are bowed just like truck tail gates. You have to twist the handles on the end to unlock the bed, and then pull out the bed. Trunk lids will have dents on them. From hitting the release latches for the tail gate. Not having the bed all the way in the trunk, and closing the trunk lid. Will cause the lid to hit these release arms, and dent the bottom of the lid. The pull out beds are well made, and heavy.

1937 hudson coupe 096.JPG

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Well so far I am only good at drinking beer.:lol: Glad I could be good for something else. Car listed for sale is most likely not a factory utility coupe. The vin number would also be the commercial series. The first two numbers. Neat car, priced fair. Drive and enjoy. Is it to early to have a beer?:huh:

Pictures and hardtop 1258.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple more pictures of my old utility coupe. You can see the filler location on the fender. This was a stamped hole, with about a 1/4 inch lip returning inside. To my knowledge there was not a option for the pull out bed. It was a commercial series car. A utility coupe. Same thing as a terraplane coupe, just built under the commercial series. And had a few different things about it. You could turn any 37 Terraplane coupe into a utility coupe, with the right parts. But the first two numbers on the vin tag would be 70. 70 is the commercial series in 1937. Terraplane trucks and panel wagons would also be a 70 series. Other Terraplane series would be 71,72 and 73.

37 hud 003.jpg

37 hud 004.jpg

• Like 3

Neat car, but there is a difference between an "all original" car and a car with a repaint and rebuilt engine. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of that Hudson, auburnseeker! I love that car. Too bad about the corrosion behind the passenger door, but the styling is fantastic. I don't believe I've seen that series of Hudson in two seater coupe form before, let alone the pull out bed.

And thanks for the beautiful pics of your stunning coupe, Xander! So yours is the 1937 model then? I wasn't quite sure from your post. Perfectly done. That pull out pickup bed has to be the coolest feature ever in an old car. So did Hudson go to the new front end in '40? Love the front ends on both cars.

14 hours ago, a griffin said:

Neat car, but there is a difference between an "all original" car and a car with a repaint and rebuilt engine. 

All original car is a term that's been thrown around alot and this car has alot more originality than alot of the ones touted as all original.  Atleast up front he points out what isn't original and doesn't leave it up to the buyer to "discover"

Still think it's cool and the OD should make it a good driver. 

• Like 1